Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I proceed with Drogheda?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭pearcider

Go with your gut OP. If you are posting for reassurance on the internet, then I would say you’re not happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Do you lose the €5 k if you pull out now?
    Drogheda to dun laoighire is an awkward commute as it’s the opposite end of the city (as you’re no doubt aware!!). Is public transport an option ? Ie bus train to Dublin abs or DART to Dun Laoghire

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭wardides

Hoboo wrote: »
    No one said it's in the middle of the fued as the media calls it, it's in between moneymore which has consistently been the biggest ****show in the country, and a halting site. Presuming they have kids who would probably walk to Joe's or Greenhills the wife's nursing skills will come in handy.

And commute varies hugely depending where you live.

A previous poster said it was in the middle of the feud. It is as close to Moneymore as it is Ashfield or Boyle O'reilly. And there's nothing wrong with those. The ****show comment is a typical sheep comment - could think of 4/5 estates (within Drogheda) that have produced just as bad eggs, nevermind the country. Few hundred in the estate, typical Irish sh**e to put everyone in the same basket. The "halting site" causes absolutely no hassle, besides maguire shot at the completely different end of the road, a site which has been abandoned since!

I'd love to find out where you've been living all your life, imagine it's a dream.

And OP, commute won't matter too much if you decide to pick an estate within Drogheda. Each will have it's own benefits which will generally net out. It's when you have to decide between Bettystown, drogheda, Gormanstown etc that it will differ largely.

I would say however, if you're put off by thoughts of antisocial behavior and fued related "incidents" Bettystown & Laytown wouldn't exactly be full of wholesome folk either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

OP I would dismiss most of the advice in here as it's very inaccurate.

Ask locals.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Just wondered (apart from the area that I know nothing about), why you haven't considered PT to Connolly and onwards on DART to Dun Laoghaire? Or whatever the connections are?

Just wondered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭FrankC21

Thank you guys for all your opinions. To be fair my mind is telling me to go with Liscorrie, when I went up there, I was amazed of how close the property to the hospital, retail park and shops like lidl and aldi. I can definitely see a huge potential if we want to rent a spare room as it is that close to the hospital. Oppose to Rathdrum to which mostly it is a country side not much really going on. I realise that wherever we lived there will be trouble, it isn't safe anywhere at this day and age. I was renting in Dalkey for a year and i was thinking it is safe there but it wasn't there are recorded burglaries and anti social behaviours. It is really up to being vigilant and try to minimize risks.

antix80 wrote: »
    The estate agent no doubt arranged for the viewing at 12pm so you'd see how smooth the commute was... that wasn't the commute.
    Driving through the city or around the M50 during rush hour will be a soul-destroying experience and that's on a good day.

It was weekend between 2pm to 4pm

By the way guys my shift starts at 8am until 8pm

FrankC21 wrote: »

This is the important part. You miss traffic going both directions.

That's some shift !

I did Drogheda - Templeogue for a year, 10-7 and missed traffic both ways too, no worse than getting a bus from Blanchardsrown to D2 at rush hour.

I can't attest to anti-social problems as I don't live there, but the Hospital Road and the junction out onto the North Road is an absolute traffic nightmare at peek times. You could be 20 minutes in your car before you even get to the M1 to begin the bulk of your commute.

Local planning and infrastructure in that part of Drogheda in particular is close to non-existent, yet they keep throwing up houses wherever there's a bit of land.

• Advertisement

I can't attest to anti-social problems as I don't live there, but the Hospital Road and the junction out onto the North Road is an absolute traffic nightmare at peek times. You could be 20 minutes in your car before you even get to the M1 to begin the bulk of your commute.

Local planning and infrastructure in that part of Drogheda in particular is close to non-existent, yet they keep throwing up houses wherever there's a bit of land.

No road from Ballymakenny Rd - Rosehall roundabout will be built in 2020 to alleviate all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,244 ✭✭✭Juwwi

The only way that commute is possible in the winter is to leave around 600am
    at the latest to be there by 8 .

google says its 83km each way , plus 2 toll bridges ? , thats going to cost a lot every month to run the car .

there is a 610am train from laytown arrives in dun laoghaire at 733am

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

In that case... Your commute's probably doable. A 9 to 5 is not.
    The only devil's advocacy is that if you finish in that job you'll be restricted where you can work. South Dublin won't be an option during "office hours".
    I'd recommend a fixed rate mortgage

No road from Ballymakenny Rd - Rosehall roundabout will be built in 2020 to alleviate all that.

Huh? This is actually happening??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,244 ✭✭✭Juwwi

I’ve a similar question. Found a house we love near Drogheda but we both work in Dublin (city centre) and are worried about the commute. We did a trial run of the drive yesterday morning and it took about 50 minutes. Traffic was heavy but was moving. We will generally be on the road by 6.30 most mornings so I presume the school traffic shouldn’t have an impact on it?
    Thanks, even at that time of the morning? We were hitting Drumcondra around 7am yesterday.

What hours do you work ?
    You would need to be hitting the whitehall church area by 645am (bus lanes dont open until 700am).l reckon you will need to leave the house by 600am

Its a nightmare journey in winter ,if you can leave work around 330pm its
    not too bad getting to the M1 but after that you could be 2 hours getting home

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Juwwi wrote: »
    you would need to be hitting the whaitehall church area by 645am (bus lanes dont open until 700am).l reckon you will need to leave the house by 600am

I think the bus lanes there are 24 hour now.

Yea the trick is to beat the traffic. You'll get to work too early,but better than sitting in traffic

Huh? This is actually happening??

Yes planning approved and works started (but since paused). if coming from Drogheda look to the right (what would be exit 3 of the roundabout ) and you'll see the early stages. Can also see the Ballymakenny side has started (and paused).

I’ve a similar question. Found a house we love near Drogheda but we both work in Dublin (city centre) and are worried about the commute. We did a trial run of the drive yesterday morning and it took about 50 minutes. Traffic was heavy but was moving. We will generally be on the road by 6.30 most mornings so I presume the school traffic shouldn’t have an impact on it?

Matthews coach leaves on the half hour in morning from both North and South sides of town, far superior to driving for anywhere in D1/2/ 5/7 IFSC

• Registered Users Posts: 24,158 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

For me, we ruled out Drogheda because Mrs Sleepy just couldn't bear the thought of the kids picking up the accent!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭bikeman1

antix80 wrote: »
    I think the bus lanes there are 24 hour now.

Yea the trick is to beat the traffic. You'll get to work too early,but better than sitting in traffic

The Bus lane from Whitehall / Collins Ave all the way into town is 07:00 - 10:00 & 12:00 - 19:00 Monday to SUNDAY (a recent change and most welcome especially on match days).

There is a 24 hour stretch past Whitehall Church with the bollards around it. I used to do a drop off in Barrow Street coming in that way for 07:00, need to be coming past Whitehall Church 06:35 at the latest. Once you get across the Liffey you could sail out to DL and have breakfast before starting your 12 HOUR shift!

Leaving at 8pm you will be home in about 1 hour and a half, watch if there is a match on at Lansdowne Road or a gig on at the Point - at that hour can cause a bit of delay.

To summarise:

Depart Drogheda 05:50
    Toll
    Whitehall 06:35
    River Liffey 07:00
    Dun Laoghaire 07:40

Start 08:00
    Finish 20:00
    Home 21:30

That's one heck of a day with a VERY stressful AM drive and a dangerous sleepy one home. Never in a million years would I consider that as a regular commute!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭fitzparker

If wife is working in drogheda and you in Dun Laoighaire either place you choose will be stressful on the other, Rathdrum is handier for you, Drogheda is closer for her.

If wife is a nurse she would be on a 12 hour shift aswell so could be alot on child care.

I would look at something in the middle or maybe one of you look at a job closer?

I commute from Gorey to sandyford each morning, leave at 6 am it takes 50 mins. Wife now works in Gorey, so we have found a happy medium and at least I am on the right side of the motorway.

it's all good in the summer but winter when you leave work in the dark and arrive home in the dark is another story.

I have colleagues here who live in bettystown and arklow commute to work here in Dun laoghaire. My shifts normally goes like Monday Tuesday off Wednesday Thursday on and friday saturday sunday off then the following week vice versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

You can set a date and time in Google maps to see how long the winter commute takes.

Wouldnt touch that commute with a barge pole especially in a job like nursing where you can't work from home in inclement weather.

I set the commute for wednesday 28th november 2018 , it was winter and there was a yellow weather warning which are very common in winter, unless you wanted to suffer 16 euro in tolls (which only helps a bit) you'd be looking at over 2 hours of a commute

486869.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,376 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

The commuting costs and depreciation on a car would be enormous let alone the stress of city traffic.

mariaalice wrote: »
    The commuting costs and depreciation on a car would be enormous let alone the stress of city traffic.

I agree OP, go buy the same house in Dublin for the same money and avoid the commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

If you want to stay working on the South side then have a serious look along the N11.
    Peak traffic can be a pain everywhere but it's somewhat bearable heading south.

Gorey is full of Dubs and many people commute up, it's definitely nicer than Arklow but I find it quite expensive. Amenities are pretty good, afaik they have a problem at the minute providing enough secondary school places for all the kids in town. The closest hospital is in Wexford, others down south are Waterford and Kilkenny, both out of the way.

Rathdrum is quite rural and I find it a little bit out of the way, you'd have to go do your weekly shop in Wicklow town. Never warmed to the place but that's just a matter of taste.

mariaalice wrote: »

I agree OP, go buy the same house in Dublin for the same money and avoid the commute.
    Where else do you think in Dublin can you buy a new build 3 bed 3 baths semi-detached for 260K? We want to use the HTB scheme.

Where else do you think in Dublin can you buy a new build 3 bed 3 baths semi-detached for 260K? We want to use the HTB scheme.

Sorry that was tongue in cheek, others here seem to think you should live in Dublin which obviously you would except the prices are astronomical.

If I was you I would stick with Liscorrie.

Great house, good area, will always sell if you want to move.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭fitzparker

Have you looked at Wicklow hills in Newtown? could be in dun laoighaire in 25 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭enricoh

If you were working 9-5 driving to dun Laoghaire every day would be absolute torture. 8 to 8 is a different story n you will fly home every night. I take it its 4 days a week, added bonus.
    I know the new estates around liscorrie, good finish, ber etc etc.
    But location, location, location - too many scobes for me. Have u sprogs? Good chance they could go feral too!

Advertisement