Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House viewing during 5km restrictions

Options
  • 24-10-2020 10:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭

I’m not sure if this is even the right place to post this question - mods, feel free to move if this is in the wrong place.

I’m due to start a new job next month (essential, not working from home) and will need to move to Portlaoise or the surrounding area.

I’m not sure how this works with the 5km restrictions. Is there any exemption you can get from the Gardai for travel with the purpose of viewing houses? Is it something that just will not be allowed? If anyone has been in this situation themselves or if anyone has any knowledge on this I would greatly appreciate some guidance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

Accommodation is an essential service. You are allowed to travel outside the 5k limit for this purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,418 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Just go do your viewings. It's essential in that you have to have somewhere to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭MmmmmCheese

Thanks for your replies. Would this be accepted if I was stopped at a check though? Don’t want to get fined.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Rob Thomas

Thanks for your replies. Would this be accepted if I was stopped at a check though? Don’t want to get fined.

Carry the email confirmation of the viewing appointment or similar and I'm sure no reasonable guard will hassle you.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,901 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Accommodation is an essential service. You are allowed to travel outside the 5k limit for this purpose.

While accommodation is an essential service you can only leave your home for the following reasons

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/2dc71-level-5/#domestic-travel-restrictions

So estate agents are allowed to work but you technically can't use their services, along with nearly every other essential service or business allowed to stay open! The chances of a Garda turning you back are miniscule.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

Most estate agents in portlaoise aren’t doing a lot viewing at the moment, some of them have set up virtual viewings online instead. Looking at houses myself and some are doing viewings, most are not.
    I went six miles up the road yesterday for work .. and was stopped twice on route (in laois)

Advertisement