Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I get approved for council housing with no children?

Options
  • 24-10-2020 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

At the moment i am living with my family who are at serious risk of the house being repossessed due to losses of jobs and the pandemic. They are in complete denial and won’t do a thing to fix it they keep saying it will be grand. I’ve lost both my jobs and stuck on the social welfare now worrying about a place to live would i get granted a house from the social or even a apartment even though I have no children?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,722 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

How old are you? Do you have any disabilities? Have you completed your education?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

At the moment i am living with my family who are at serious risk of the house being repossessed due to losses of jobs and the pandemic. They are in complete denial and won’t do a thing to fix it they keep saying it will be grand. I’ve lost both my jobs and stuck on the social welfare now worrying about a place to live would i get granted a house from the social or even a apartment even though I have no children?

Of course you can if you meet the criteria for the housing list ,and are prepared for 11+ year wait

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Bubblesxoxx

How old are you? Do you have any disabilities? Have you completed your education?

I am in my 20s no disabilities and yes completed education in my teenage years till I was 20

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Godeatsboogers

Get a room somewhere in a house sharing, try a student oriented area, should be cheap enough

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Johnthemanager

I am in my 20s no disabilities and yes completed education in my teenage years till I was 20

I'd say you would have zero hope. I know single fellows in my town who go on the list are sharing rooms in a hostel.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Even at the absolute lowest levels of the housing list (various times, generally after significant investment, 70s and 90s), single people - particularly single men but it still applied to women - were basically of no priority at all; until they qualified for elderly housing.

People who have lost their jobs due to the pandemic are realistically at minimal risk of repossession for some years - they will only just have ended a no-fault mortgage break most likely for starters and MARP will only have just begun. Make sure they are communicating with the lender and not just ignoring contacts.

All you need to do in this country is have kids and you get a house it seems? Or a disability I guess. At the moment house sharing is out of my budget with my jobs being lost. Even working 2 jobs wasn’t enough to cover rent in this country it’s absolutely mental money I just cannot afford anything right now I thought social housing was supposed to help people on the verge of being homeless

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

All you need to do in this country is have kids and you get a house it seems? Or a disability I guess.

If you qualify for social housing; and generally after many, many years.
    I thought social housing was supposed to help people on the verge of being homeless

You aren't on the verge of being homeless.

L1011 wrote: »
    If you qualify for social housing; and generally after many, many years.

You aren't on the verge of being homeless.

I stated in my post my family’s home is very likely to be repossessed which means I will eventually be homeless if that happens I am worrying about the future when that happens. If it doesn’t happen in the next few weeks it will eventually they have been behind for years and the banks have asked them to sell the house and they refused

I stated in my post my family’s home is very likely to be repossessed which means I will eventually be homeless if that happens I am worrying about the future when that happens. If it doesn’t happen in the next few weeks it will eventually they have been behind for years and the banks have asked them to sell the house and they refused

That doesn't even vaguely qualify as the verge of being homeless. Its not going to happen in the next few weeks, months or years even if they are significantly behind. Repossessions in Ireland are an exceptionally slow process and alternatives will be investigated first like mortgage to rent schemes.

You also stated they were behind due to pandemic job losses, not for years. You are not being very consistent here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭cant26

Would you consider retraining in something that will afford you to pay rent and eventually buy your own home?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

I thought social housing was supposed to help people on the verge of being homeless

Do you not read the news?
    Thousands of families become homeless every year. You are a healthy, employable young person. Get a job and rent a place.

That doesn't even vaguely qualify as the verge of being homeless. Its not going to happen in the next few weeks, months or years even if they are significantly behind. Repossessions in Ireland are an exceptionally slow process and alternatives will be investigated first like mortgage to rent schemes.

You also stated they were behind due to pandemic job losses, not for years. You are not being very consistent here.

I am just going on what my father spoke to me about last night he made it seem like we won’t have the house for much longer. Yeah they are more behind now with Job losses due to the pandemic. But my parents have struggled for years with the mortgage when I was working I helped them out as much as I could and so did my sibling. He seemed to be very panicked and worried and now it’s got me worried

I am just going on what my father spoke to me about last night he made it seem like we won’t have the house for much longer. Yeah they are more behind now with Job losses due to the pandemic. But my parents have struggled for years with the mortgage when I was working I helped them out as much as I could and so did my sibling. He seemed to be very panicked and worried and now it’s got me worried

The reality is very different to what he perceives most likely

Ensure he engages in the MARP system, look at mortgage to rent and similar options and so on. Do not let him do a head in the sand response.

But even if he did, it'll be 2022 or later before an eviction. Ireland is very slow at this stuff.

Do you not read the news?
    Thousands of families become homeless every year. You are a healthy, employable young person. Get a job and rent a place.

Sweetheart rent in this country is disgraceful prices working 2 jobs can barely cover the prices of rent in Ireland and I am unemployed at the moment due to covid. I had big plans for myself this year I got a job I had trained for years at the end of last year I decided I was going to rent a house but it was taken as soon as covid hit. Don’t hit me with the get a job and rent a place I did and I lost both of them till god knows when

cant26 wrote: »
    Would you consider retraining in something that will afford you to pay rent and eventually buy your own home?

Yeah of course I’ve been on indeed every day applying for any job that pops up I had 2 jobs and started a job I had wanted and trained for years at the end of last year but they had to let me go with covid in March.

The reality is very different to what he perceives most likely

Ensure he engages in the MARP system, look at mortgage to rent and similar options and so on. Do not let him do a head in the sand response.

But even if he did, it'll be 2022 or later before an eviction. Ireland is very slow at this stuff.

Thank you for the information I had no idea how it works he had me thinking it wouldn’t be long till the house was gone.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

Thread temporarily closed for mod review.

Please do not start any similar threads in the mean time.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement