Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lease Agreement Question

Options
  • 06-03-2020 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭

Hi we have a small one bedroom studio apartment that a couple is interested in renting.

They want 2 separate lease agreements in their name even though they are clearly a couple and will be sharing the one bed. Is that wise on my part or should lease agreement include both their names since it's just the one bed?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

They're covering their bases in case their relationship breaks down- so one of them can up sticks and leave- and the other will still have a full and valid lease- but you'll have no security for any damage or unpaid bills by the party who leaves.

If its a one bedroom studio apartment- they should have a single lease- which names both of them, and unequivocally states that they are both jointly and severally responsible for the property. If they are unwilling to accept this basic enough concept- then get a different tenant.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Theres no benefit to you in this.

I'd be insisting on one lease.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭meijin

how would that even work? a lease for half of the bed? if one leaves, are you going to find someone random for the other half of the bed?

PS just find a different couple, who doesn't create problems from the start

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭beya2009

Thanks guys...they accepted but if I did not ask this question here I would have not had a clue and just gave them what they wanted.

Advertisement