Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Occupy...Brown Thomas

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Lights On wrote: »
    It seems some anti austerity protesters have been in full stick it to the man mode today, after taking over the Bank of Ireland for a while they strolled down to Brown Thomas, as you do! Power to the people!!

http://www.thejournal.ie/grafton-street-shops-gardai-2490453-Dec2015/

A Jo Malone candlelight vigil was held.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,752 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

It's a pity brain cells refuse to occupy them.

What's their beef with BT? Can't imagine BT staff are exactly the reason behind the recession.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Prob cause its a shop for rich irish people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,450 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Thought austerity was working?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Aww thats cute

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Ironically it's usually the brown thomas that does the occupying.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,752 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

They can't afford designer gear and Bank Of Ireland wouldn't loan them the money to buy at BT...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Maybe they were getting a bit of Christmas shopping done while protesting austerity? Two birds with one stone and all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Ah surely they could occupy a job somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Fluffy Cat 88

I'm going to start a Pro-Austerity rally tomorrow. We're going to occupy Pennies, the dole office and the Credit Unions.

Wear your best Chanel, Prada, Louboutins, and a big Hermes handbag. Pull up in a big Mercedes. Big banners studded with swarovski crystals...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Lights On wrote: »
    It seems some anti austerity protesters have been in full stick it to the man mode today, after taking over the Bank of Ireland for a while they strolled down to Brown Thomas, as you do! Power to the people!!

http://www.thejournal.ie/grafton-street-shops-gardai-2490453-Dec2015/

Most people don't have time to protest, that thing we call 'work' gets in the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

So where is the usual garda brutally videos that accompany these protests

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

Ironically it's usually the brown thomas that does the occupying.

What?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,332 ✭✭✭Archeron

Has there been any Occupy Mannings Bakery yet? I'll do that, I like cake.

It's like the protest version of window shopping. Utterly pointless to the point of absurdity.

bigpink wrote: »
    Prob cause its a shop for rich irish people

Imagine how utterly thick the guy who first said "to Brown Thomas" must be.

Kev W wrote: »
    What?

You have a lot of asses occupying Brown Thomas here, right?

Well usually a Brown (John) Thomas got that way from occupying an ass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,735 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Meanwhile the rest of the country worked to pay their benefits!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

You have a lot of asses occupying Brown Thomas, right?

If you have to explain it (badly) then your 'joke' is crap.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

RoboKlopp wrote: »

At least their not sitting at home, doing nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,505 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

jamesbere wrote: »
    So where is the usual garda brutally videos that accompany these protests

Being edited to remove the provocation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,443 ✭✭✭blackbox

They've got it all wrong.

Few businesses are as much against austerity as BT, They want us all to have loads of money and spend it (preferably with them)

They should be going to Aldi or Mr. Price or the Euro shops if they want to object to austerity.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

Occupy...........
    Somewhere!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

Unless they work. Which is possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,530 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

ThisRegard wrote: »

Was that meant to explain the joke?

I'm more confused now.....

ThisRegard wrote: »

Literally.

Polis turn up to protect south side shock.

Dozens of gardaí from a number of Dublin stations – including at least five from the Mounted Support Unit – responded

Meanwhile I was stabbed 17 times on Talbot street by junkies. In half an hour.

Literally.

That's a better joke!

• Advertisement

Well that's what I get for asking, I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

In some ways it's quite refreshing, and slightly reassuring, that there are still people who are willing to stand up for what they believe in and bring attention to the many ills this country is still suffering from due to corruption and bad governing, even if it is in the form of a silly protest. People can make all the jokes they like in this thread, but truth be told, they're not really funny at all, and only serve as a self defence mechanism against their own fears and insecurity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Canadel wrote: »
    In some ways it's quite refreshing, and slightly reassuring, that there are still people who are willing to stand up for what they believe in and bring attention to the many ills this country is still suffering from due to corruption and bad governing, even if it is in the form of a silly protest. People can make all the jokes they like in this thread, but truth be told, they're not really funny at all, and only serve as a self defence mechanism against their own fears and insecurity.

Nah they are pretty funny, also can you clarify exactly what is being achieved by occupying Brown Thomas?

In some ways it's quite refreshing, and slightly reassuring, that there are still people who are willing to stand up for what they believe in and to bring attention to the many ills this country is still suffering from due to corruption and bad governing, even if it is in the form of a silly protest. People can make all jokes they like in this thread, but truth be told, they're not really funny at all, and only serve as a self defence mechanism against their own fears and insecurity.

Not so much "standing up for what they believe in" as "meandering aimlessly for what they believe in".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭SpaceSasqwatch

Maybe they were getting a bit of Christmas shopping shoplifting done while protesting austerity? Two birds with one stone and all that.

FYP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

This will affect me in no discernible way. Therefore, I don't give a sh*te.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭Lights On

To be fair the ironic thing about what they've done today is that it will just take the spotlight off the corruption scandal that has been taking up the news for the past few days and instead it will be "Look what happened in town today, guards on horses!!" Kind of defeats the whole purpose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,140 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Ah surely they could occupy a job somewhere.
    they will later on, or tomorrow when their day off ends. but i suppose your another one of these "9 to 5 is the only exceptable working time" types
    Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Most people don't have time to protest, that thing we call 'work' gets in the way.
    not everyone works 9 to 5. so your point means nothing, it just shows you have nothing constructive to say
    did they? any evidence to back up and prove that
    1. the protesters are all on benefits rather then simply having a day off or not working 9 to 5 and having a later shift?
    2. that there were no non protesters who were on a day off or not working at the exact times of the protest?
    Unless they work. Which is possible.
    shhhhh.
    don't you know only those working 9 to 5 are legitimate workers. other shifts or days off don't exist, and anyone not working 9 to 5 is a dolehead. (not my words)

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words.

In some ways it's quite refreshing, and slightly reassuring, that there are still people who are willing to stand up for what they believe in and bring attention to the many ills this country is still suffering from due to corruption and bad governing, even if it is in the form of a silly protest. People can make all jokes they like in this thread, but truth be told, they're not really funny at all, and only serve as a self defence mechanism against their own fears and insecurity.

You want to know what my fears are? My fear is that these muppets get in to power and decide to inflict their ideals on the rest of us.
    Everyone on the same wage regardless of ability or effort.
    No personal wealth allowed.
    State control of all utilities.
    No personal property - cause property is theft - right?
    Etc etc.

Its already been tried in the USSR and China. It does not work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

It's Éirígí- absolutley nothing refreshing about them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,861 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Archeron wrote: »
    Has there been any Occupy Mannings Bakery yet? I'll do that, I like cake.

Give us a shout when you're going up...I like their sambos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Polis turn up to protect south side shock.

Dozens of gardaí from a number of Dublin stations – including at least five from the Mounted Support Unit – responded

Meanwhile I was stabbed 17 times on Talbot street by junkies. In half an hour.

There were 2 from the mounted unit. And the dope from the Journal even took a photo of the 2, while reporting 5. Jesus, I hate that rag (albeit electronic)

I wonder, did perhaps some of the protesters decide to kill 2 birds with one stone, lil bit of xmas shopping in the middle of a protest, and others just followed suit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,530 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    There were 2 from the mounted unit. And the dope from the Journal even took a photo of the 2, while reporting 5. Jesus, I hate that rag (albeit electronic)

I wonder, did perhaps some of the protesters decide to kill 2 birds with one stone, lil bit of xmas shopping in the middle of a protest, and others just followed suit?

There's 5 horses lined up at the gate to St. Stephen's Green in the article. He took more than one photo, clearly.

Sounded like the most aimless, ridiculous shenanigans to be tying up the entire city centre with on a busy pre-Christmas afternoon. Pardon the bad grammar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

VinLieger wrote: »
    Nah they are pretty funny, also can you clarify exactly what is being achieved by occupying Brown Thomas?
    I can't clarify anything. I can only give my own perspective of events, which may be way off, but are I believe still more accurate than most of the jibes and insults in this thread. Oh well, who really cares.
    Menas wrote: »
    You want to know what my fears are? My fear is that these muppets get in to power and decide to inflict their ideals on the rest of us.
    Everyone on the same wage regardless of ability or effort.
    No personal wealth allowed.
    Etc etc.

Its already been tried in the USSR and China. It does not work.
    Your fears are irrational.

Your fears are irrational.

So what kind of regime would these muppets inflict on us if they got their own way?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭Heroditas

So what kind of regime would these muppets inflict on us if they got their own way?

But they're never going to be in power so it doesn't matter one iota

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,140 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

well, privatization of utilities hasn't exactly worked either. so, having the infrastructure in state hands with a mixture of state and private companies providing the services with high regulation ensuring affordability and investment will be a better option.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Enda should give them a €1,000 Brown Thomas voucher each.
    You've got to recognise the sacrifices of these freedom fighters, strolling around Grafton Street on a cold afternoon.

I find it depressing that people would think the anti austerity cause, or issues with corruption or bad governance, might be advanced by their occupying a shop that sells expensive goods. It's that the extent of their grasp of the situation and the issues? Pointing out the utter stupidity of their action has nothing to do with "fears and insecurities"...their actions are utterly stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

Are you for real? These people are nothing but scumbags and idiotic gob****es. They don't believe in anything except causing trouble and getting whatever they can get their hands on for nothing. They don't give a **** about you, me, society or anything ****ing else. Don't be so naive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

I can imagine this lot complaining about renewable energy from wind-farms creating pylons. And then complaining about no jobs in the areas this renewable energy would deliver more power. And that there is no Broadband on Craggy island.

• Advertisement
Advertisement