Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selling to a county council

Options
  • 31-07-2020 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

With the housing minister recently telling councils to buy up properties as social housing target will not be achieved, does anyone know what sort of price ranges they target for apartments? I have a 2 bed apartment in Dublin, looking for around 375k-400k ...would that price range rule it out?

Just interested to see what my options are with it and would like to hear people's experiences with selling to a council, I've heard it can take a bit longer than a private sale?

Where would that leave me with the current estate agent, I presume if I contact the council directly and agree to sell then the EA would have no right to charge any fee? I've already paid marketing costs to them.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭circular flexing

With the housing minister recently telling councils to buy up properties as social housing target will not be achieved, does anyone know what sort of price ranges they target for apartments? I have a 2 bed apartment in Dublin, looking for around 375k-400k ...would that price range rule it out?

Just interested to see what my options are with it and would like to hear people's experiences with selling to a council, I've heard it can take a bit longer than a private sale?

Where would that leave me with the current estate agent, I presume if I contact the council directly and agree to sell then the EA would have no right to charge any fee? I've already paid marketing costs to them.

Thanks

I think each council is different. In Kildare anyway, the house has to be put up for sale on the open market and then the council will make an offer based on the asking price. This would all be done through the EA anyway, so I don't think you would avoid their fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

I think each council is different. In Kildare anyway, the house has to be put up for sale on the open market and then the council will make an offer based on the asking price. This would all be done through the EA anyway, so I don't think you would avoid their fees.

is it written somewhere that councils will only buy properties handled by estate agents?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Jerry Fireball Mudflap

antix80 wrote: »
    is it written somewhere that councils will only buy properties handled by estate agents?

Ok so in that case there is no point contacting them directly? You just basically have to wait for them to put an offer on the apartment via the normal open market?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭ShedTower

So as bad as everything already is, you might eventually work long enough, hard enough and scrape together enough money to eventually bid for an extremely expensive little house BUT, the f**king county council might outbid you to give it to someone for pittance (who will probably complain about it).

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Smouse156

ShedTower wrote: »
    So as bad as everything already is, you might eventually work long enough, hard enough and scrape together enough money to eventually bid for an extremely expensive little house BUT, the f**king county council might outbid you to give it to someone for pittance (who will probably complain about it).

And not even bother to pay the pittance rent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭WeeCuppaCha

I sold to county council last year. Not Dublin though. They paid 99% of asking price. My house was a 2 bed semi, which was something they were actively seeking. House was on the market through EA. Process from start to finish took around 5/6 months. They needed every piece of documentation you can think of including a tax clearance certificate. The house had to be completely stripped of all furniture and white goods.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

ShedTower wrote: »

And then when you do get one the council haven't outbid you on they buy nextdoor and put God knows who in the place.

I heard that no more houses in my area (North Dublin City) were being bought but maybe that was a temporary thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Littleredcar

Dublin north city definitely not buying

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭LFC Murphy

Sold in Galway last year. Paid asking price. Process is 3 months longer than normal sale agreed, but once agreed the sale is pretty much guaranteed. This is verbal as they didn’t issue a sales note.

I approached them so had zero outlays on estate agents etc. would recommend if you had the time which I did due to tenant notice period.

Advertisement