Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you get a personal loan to buy abroad?

Options
  • 19-05-2019 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭

Was just wondering this.

Could you get a personal load or Credit Union load and use it to buy a small place in Spain / Portugal?

Would banks or credit unions allow this ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

NeVeR wrote: »
    Was just wondering this.

Could you get a personal load or Credit Union load and use it to buy a small place in Spain / Portugal?

Would banks or credit unions allow this ?

They used to pre crash, doubt it these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,154 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Something small like €20k loan would perhaps be ok as it would be deemed a personal loan with no care what it's for.

How much you talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭NeVeR

Something small like €20k loan would perhaps be ok as it would be deemed a personal loan with no care what it's for.

50-70k.

I've not looked into it at all.. just a question on my mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

Very unlikely....they do personal loans up to about €50k but the term would be about a max of 5 years which means repayments would be very high. You'd need to be on a very good salary..and they wouldnt like the purpose either as been burnt before

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

You could get a mortgage on an Irish property you own and use the money for whatever the F you want. Or top up your existing mortgage if you have one and stay within the 3.5x salary limit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭scooby77

If you must borrow to buy, you need to carefully examine if you can afford repayments and ownership costs. We've a family property in Spain, aside from obvious utility costs local taxes and in particular community fees can be substantial. Remember purchase taxes and fees are far more than here and will come in at 10-15% of purchase price. ( 6-10% tax 2nd hand, 10% new development then 4-5% notary, legal, registration fees)
    Taxes vary from province to province, community fees from development to development eg more lifts to service, bigger pool(s) to maintain, bigger gardens to keep mean bigger community fees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Damiencm

Could u get a mortgage abroad?

There are spanish banks that offer non resident mortgages ( max 60 - 70% LTV I think). I know of one a few months back where a non resident mortgage was 2.5% fixed for full 20 year term

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

GarIT wrote: »
    You could get a mortgage on an Irish property you own and use the money for whatever the F you want. Or top up your existing mortgage if you have one and stay within the 3.5x salary limit.

Mortgage topups are usually restricted as to purpose. I know bank of Ireland only gives them for home insurance and paying for kids education.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I tried to get a 30 k personal loan to help buying property a few years back, they did mind

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

GarIT wrote:

I used some money I got from redundancy on a deposit on a property abroad and took out a mortgage for the rest secured on the value of my current mortgaged property. This was before the crash mind you!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭NeVeR

Thanks for all the replies.

I can afford the repayments.

I didn't know Spanish banks offer mortgages. I'll look into that.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 23,265 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    I tried to get a 30 k personal loan to help buying property a few years back, they did mind

I tried to get a mortgage top up for an extension, but was offered a personal loan of 50k instead over 10 years. Daft!!!

Advertisement