Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

findmypast

• 20-01-2013 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭

Hi, can anyone explain to me about the '2nd spouse' section in the marriages records in findmypast.ie? Does it mean that the ancestor in question was married twice?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,560 ✭✭✭✭L1011

As far as I can tell, its guess work going on the names/gender of the other people listed on that index card - the BMD index they're using does not show the actual spouses.

In the case of my great-great-grandfather, the actual woman he married in his second marriage is down as "second spouse" and the "spouse" is some randomer on the same card, not his deceased wife.

Someone else with the same name had the "spouse" field filled in with another man; not yet possible in 1900 in County Down!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

2nd, 3rd and 4th spouse are from the other marriages registered on the same page as yours.

So one of the 'other' spouses on that page, married your relative (or person you're searching for), but not necessarily the 'first' spouse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭patsman07

Does findmypast show the parish registers or is it a copy of the civil registration?
    I obviously don't have access? Is it worth joining or would I be as well getting as much info as possible from familysearch and then spend a day in the national library?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71 ✭✭VicWynne

Try their free access today...

There are 50 credits available for free today.

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/new-media/item/31153-free-access-to/

Tomorrow, 24 January, the site will open up these records to visitors for
    free as part of a promotion of its first Irish Family History Day, which
    it hopes will become an annual event. A promo code will be released
    tomorrow to grant curious family researchers access to the vast collection
    of records.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

VicWynne wrote: »
    Try their free access today...

There are 50 credits available for free today.

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/new-media/item/31153-free-access-to/

Tomorrow, 24 January, the site will open up these records to visitors for
    free as part of a promotion of its first Irish Family History Day, which
    it hopes will become an annual event. A promo code will be released
    tomorrow to grant curious family researchers access to the vast collection
    of records.

Well, they let you search for free today and to view records you need to use your 50 credits. Some of the records cost 30 credits to view. A waste of time in my opinion....and a poor piece of marketing by FMP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

patsman07 wrote: »
    Does findmypast show the parish registers or is it a copy of the civil registration?
    I obviously don't have access? Is it worth joining or would I be as well getting as much info as possible from familysearch and then spend a day in the national library?

Most of the 'new' records are from the (civil) BMD Index - so just give you the references you need to order certs. They are not full records.

And said records are available free online already.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

They are of course available already but they do have the Ancestry improvement of showing you all the other names on the page, so it takes less time to cross reference a marriage.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

pinkypinky wrote: »
    They are of course available already but they do have the Ancestry improvement of showing you all the other names on the page, so it takes less time to cross reference a marriage.

Pinky,
    Unless I'm missing something here that is not correct.. I got my 50 credits and used five to look at the birth of an individual I input from a GRO form (I have it ready for my next visit there). All I got was the GRO info, (which I had, free from familysearch); there were no details of any other names..(such as parents,...) Ya gotta go to the GRO according to the site.:confused::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

The cross-match facility only works for marriages, that is what Pinky was referring to.

The only time you see another name on the birth index record is mother's maiden name for births after the late 1920s

• Advertisement

pinkypinky wrote: »

Would still rather pay for Ancestry for the better search engine + better international sources over this.

There's also the larger bloc of other people's trees but they're always worth taking with an entire mine of salt (seeing as I found one with mostly correct data, but one relative apparently having given birth at various ages from 12 to 56 going on the dates for her kids...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

shanew wrote: »
    The cross-match facility only works for marriages, that is what Pinky was referring to.

The only time you see another name on the birth index record is mother's maiden name for births after the late 1920s

Thanks. If those FMP people sold a financial product they would have been (deservedly) closed down months ago or have a string of lawsuits against them for misleading advertising. They are the endowment mortgage brokers of the genealogy business.

About 95% of my research is pre GRO, but I have one female that is causing me aggro, born about 1869, Mary Dunne, most probably born Tipperary, father Edmund/Edmond. Thanks to familysearch.org I've reduced the numbers considerably. By buying selected GRO certs I've now reduced the 'potentials' to 25 and have narrowed that down to 4 'possibles' for my next GRO visit so if I get a maternal family name that matches some of the sponsors on some baptismal records I hold I hope to get lucky. A remarkable woman, worth the trouble, d@mn her! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Coolnabacky1873

Clare Santry has a very interesting blog post about FindMyPast uploading their first set of Catholic parish register records from Ireland.

If they plan to go after parish registers from Ireland then their subscription is going to start looking very attractive.

I had a quick look at the example Clare used in her post and you get the townland name on the index entry before having to purchase the full transcription of the record. That is very useful.

Actually, I wonder are these records the same as what is on Familysearch in their 'Ireland Births and Baptisms' record set??

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Looks like it's a direct copy of the time frame that the National Library has on microfilm 1839 - 1880, whereas the Roots Ireland transcription must have been done from original books: it goes up to 1900.

I know the NLI has a tender out to digitise their microfilmed parish registers. Perhaps Eneclann/FMP have done this as a sample.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement