Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do if Guards won't do anything?

Options
  • 18-10-2011 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭

Anyone have any ideas on the following. The past week, little good for nothings around the area have broken into the car park in the apt block 3 times. One time I actually saw one of them cycling off on a bike and shouting to their mate that they robbed it. These lads live on the road, one actually lives in a neighbouring apt block. Anyway the second and third time it happened I called the Garda and let them know. They took details and never got back. I told them that they live on the road but the seemed to just brish it off. Is there any other course of action to be taken or do I just have to roll with it? Im pretty sure they scraped my car too, big key scrape al down the side, plus I was driving down the road and saw them standing on somebodys bonnet. Head wrecking to say the least!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,282 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Try to find out who the Juvenile Liaison Officer / Community Officers are.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 370 ✭✭bath handle

Get an old bicycle, still working.Remove the saddle. Put a three inch nail firmly into the upright bar into which the saddle fits so that it protrudes about and inch out of the bar. Replace the saddle but do not tighten the retaining nuts. Attach the saddle to a 10m length of strong fishing line (invisible). Leave the bicycle in the car park with the fishing line tied securely to an immovable object, such that when the bicycle is moved about 8m the saddle will come off.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

Hopefully if someone steals the bike they will get the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,282 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Get an old bicycle, still working.Remove the saddle. Put a three inch nail firmly into the upright bar into which the saddle fits so that it protrudes about and inch out of the bar. Replace the saddle but do not tighten the retaining nuts. Attach the saddle to a 10m length of strong fishing line (invisible). Leave the bicycle in the car park with the fishing line tied securely to an immovable object, such that when the bicycle is moved about 8m the saddle will come off.
    Revenge fantasies are not welcome here. Please post constructively.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ShriekingSheet

I would advise against any kind of revenge or even standing up to this kind of behaviour yourself. This seems like a very soft approach, but when you're talking about your home, you need to realise that you are in an extremely weak position.

You could be the toughest guy in Ireland, but if you attempt to put an end to this situation by counter-intimidation, reasoning or threats of action, you are singling yourself out.

This gives the kids a face, name and address for their enemy. These little brats are obviously partial to petty vandalism, theft and general hassle. It is nigh on impossible to protect your home and car 24/7 from such action. It's like guerilla warfare, and they'll specifically target you. You know it's them, but you can't prove anything. You'll drive yourself to distraction.

However, closing your blinds and just hoping they do damage to your neighbour's property and not yours is not what I'd like to think is the best option in our society.

What I would say is there may be benefit in talking to your neighbours, and while it doesn't have to be a "committee" or "association", a collective complaint to the Gards, and as suggested by Victor, to the local JLO is likely to carry more weight than sporadic individual calls.

Compile the events - break ins, theft and damage done, and any evidence you have that suggests this local gang is to blame, so it's clear to any authority that there is a systematic issue. Then raise this issue in as formal a way possible with the authorities. Stay in touch with neighbours and keep lobbying until something is done.

Ensure there's no widely known leader of the complaint and as I said, just don't single yourself out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

I have gotten this 'response' from AGS all too often.
    What I do to deal with it is, ring them back.
    Then ring them again.
    Then ring them the next day.
    Maybe call into the station.

Not in an aggressive or unpleasant manner, but persistence will pay off as AGS may just get sick of hearing from you.

Also every time you do deal with them, be sure to get the name and badge number of the officer you are dealing with. It seems when there is a risk of them being singled out for not doing anything, they take action.

In one instance, my mother was getting stone walled trying to follow up on an assault on a third party, she had to resort to ringing Joe Duffy.
    Allegedly, the Commissioner contacted RTE trying to get in touch with her and the matter was swiftly dealt with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

Not sure how they are breaking in but at one time they were climbing over a wall to our area. A bucket of car grease layered across the wall at strategic points stopped them as they didn't like to soil their tracksuits !:D:D

Advertisement