Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drafted/entered US army at 58 in 1942?

Options
  • 11-09-2011 9:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Hi all, after using Familysearch free transport records, I found my mothers uncle's record of immigration to NY in 1904, Ansley Carter b. 27/3/1884, Luggacurran. Went To Tallagh lib. yesterday to get free access to Familysearch, and a very helpful Clara assisted me. Found he was married twice, and a second child I didnt know about, and a US army registration card from 1942. Time and Familysearch I found a bit limited. Did first wife die or dumped? maiden name? what could he have done for the army?
    What US records can I see? Have no death dates for any of them, just 1910&30 census, and application for US passport in 1920 to visit home with son.
    D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭blah

I assume his son was the one in the army?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 elverstown

No it's him

• Registered Users Posts: 18 familyseeker

I have done a little bit of research on my father's family in the US and find that the records can be very hit and miss. Some states have their birth/marriage/deaths online, most don't seem to. Some military records are online, lots aren't. Most of what I have found has been through Ancestry.com but it's an expensive site to subscribe to.

As there isn't really a federal BMD repository, you generally need to contact the vital records office for the state that you are looking for your family in. For New York, try this link and see if you can get the information you need:

http://www.health.state.ny.us/nysdoh/consumer/vr.htm#application

Also, in regard to the army - I also have found a number of registrations for relatives that would be well past the age of joining up. I am under the impression that every man was required to register but only those of the required age range were actually drafted into the service but I may be wrong about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭eqwjewoiujqorj

elverstown wrote: »
    Went To Tallagh lib. yesterday to get free access to Familysearch,
    what records are fee in Tallagh library? do you mean ancestry.com?

what records are fee in Tallagh library? do you mean ancestry.com?
    Familysearch.org, + one other I cant remember, Irish times + others, I think you can check on Dublin librarys web page, but you have to be there to use their paid subscriber services

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Familysearch.org, + one other I cant remember, Irish times + others, I think you can check on Dublin librarys web page, but you have to be there to use their paid subscriber services

Familysearch.org is free. Irish Times is free in all libraries that have public access computers, afaik.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭johnny_doyle

he also has a WW1 draft registration card

Name: Carter, Ansley
    Birth Date: 27 Mar 1884
    Birth Place: Naturalized Citizen
    City/County: Nyc (Bronx)# 2
    State: NY
    Ethnicity: W

No it's him

not so sure he was in the Army. There was a draft in 1942 looking at manpower rather than military service

http://www.archives.gov/research/military/ww2/draft-cards-fourth-registration.pdf

He has 2 records on Ellis Island :

1 for 2nd Aug 1905 (with 4 others from the same town going to the same address : John Kavanagh @ 9 Elizabeth St, Orange, New Jersey)

1 for 16th Oct 1906 with 3 others from the same town

Thanks for that info, Jonny D, where do you get your info? I think he would have been traveling with his cousins, Kavanaghs,wilsons,and maybe stone and shirley. He was from a family of nine, only 2 boys, him and my grandfather, never knew he even existed until relatively recently.
    Also trying to find out more about his father Samuel R Carter, who was in the RIC, presumably retired to be a tenant farmer in Luggacurran.

nice scroll there for Samuel R.

possibly him though it doesn't quite tally with the 1901 census :
    Carter, Samuel R.; RIC 33105; LDS 2097/263; born 1846, Co. Dublin; 3rd SI 22/7/1867; King Edward VII Visit to Ireland Medal, 1903; pensioned 1/9/1907.

• Advertisement

Hi and thanks, J D . Don't have a dob for S R Carter yet, should be able to check his ric no. here's a piccie

Do the names Colles or Neyno appear in the family tree?

I haven't come across those names. Are they connected to Carters? or the Luggacurren area? Luggacurran has a bit of history re landlords and tenants circa 1880 - 1920, had a brief read of " The planters of Luggacurran " in a library, but need to get a copy to study the names in it.

on the basis that the RIC record indicated Samuel R was born Co Dublin 1846, thought that this might be the parents marriage :

http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details/70b8e00905034

The father of the Samuel Richard Carter here is a Henry Colles Carter MD, from Queen's Co. There is a John Colles Carter from Queens Co who was also a Sub Inspector in the RIC about the same period as your Samuel R Carter.

Advertisement