Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Death Record

Options
  • 15-09-2011 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭

Hi all, I'm doing research on my mam's brother, who died as a 6 month old infant back in the 1950's, when she was only 3. So far, I have been unable to locate either his birth or death record, so had to email the parish priest to ask could he check the parish records. He got back to me tonight and he has located the baptimisal record and fair dues to him, he's going to post me both the birth and baptisimal records.

However, he can't find any record to a death, which suggests to me if the priest didn't record it, there is definitly no civil record. I know for definite he is buried in the parish. What I would like to know is, would it have been considered normal not to record a baby's death either with the civil authorities or religious in the 1950's? Concidentally, my uncle told me, only recently, while discussing the baby who died, about a cousin who had a child out of wedlock in the 1950's, the baby then died and they buried him/her in the middle of the night. How very sad.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I think if you had said 1870, it wouldn't have been unusual at all to not record a baby's death, but in the 1950s, I think it would have happened. Was he named? He might be just recorded as "male Surname" in the death index. Also, try variant spellings, it could just be a typo.

An ancestor of mine's surname was Walters and for years I looked for his death, which I knew was definitely in the 10 years between 1891 - 1901. I manually searched several times without luck and eventually I did a partial match search on Familysearch and discovered he had been incorrectly registered as Watters. When I got the copy register, I could see why, whoever filled out the register crossed the L as well as the T.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭carolinej

@pinkypinky: yes, he was named alright and baptised. He was approx 6 months old when he died, according to my mother. Now that I have his d.o.b., I had another search earlier on the familysearch.org site and have found his birth record in the index. Previously, where I thought he was born, he wasn't, he was born in another county! Just goes to show, never assume anything when researching family history!

I still can't locate anything close to a death record. I've tried all name varients, locations etc but nothing close. Last year, the registrar in the local GRO office very kindly did a search on her computer, if any, death record and even she couldn't even find a death for a baby in the time frame I gave her. :confused: As I said to Mam, it's like he just vanished into mid air.

If you want to tell us his name and the place/year of birth, maybe we can have a try for you?

Genealogy Forum Mod

pinkypinky wrote: »
    If you want to tell us his name and the place/year of birth, maybe we can have a try for you?[/QUOTH

Here is his birth record on familysearch.org : https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.2/MN7L-8Q3/p1

We know he died when about 6mths old so I estimate spring of 1957 and it's most like in the registration district of Callan.

Caroline,

I see what you mean - I just put in the name and 56 - 58 and there's no plausible match for a death.

Have you considered that he may have been older?
    If he were say 18 months, then his death would not be recorded on familysearch - they only go up to 1958.

PP

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Caroline,

I see what you mean - I just put in the name and 56 - 58 and there's no plausible match for a death.

Have you considered that he may have been older?
    If he were say 18 months, then his death would not be recorded on familysearch - they only go up to 1958.

PP

Thanks PP, but we know he died in 1957. It's a macabre story how we know tbh, my great grandfather died in Nov 1957 & the gravediggers had to remove the baby's coffin to accomodate the old man and what do you think they did - only leave the child's coffin in full view of the mourners including Thomas's mother, my Granny, I believe she was VERY upset at the time, understandly. A terrible thing for any mother to see.

So, I really believe the death was not registered. I'm waiting for the priest to get back to me, I asked him his opinion on it. At least we have his DOB anyway.

Advertisement