Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

WW I Soldier

Options
  • 04-09-2011 1:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

How does one go about locating information about a WW I soldier from Belfast? It would be my grandmothers' brother. His name was Aloysius Gardner, from the Belfast area, and he was killed on Nov 10, 1918. That's all I know. Of course all the people in my family alive at the time are long since gone. I'd still like to learn more about him ( unit, picture of his grave in France). Any help you can give would be most appreciated!

Bill Nestor

Catonsville, Maryland, USA

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Most unfortunate that he died the day before the war ended.

The main organisation I would recommend you try is the Commonwealth War Graves Commission ( basically the UK equivalent of the US Battlefields and Monuments Commission ).

I've never been on their site but I would definitely think it should be your first ' port of call '.

Good luck !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭arnhem44

Hi Bill,do you have any other info on Aloysius Gardner,no casualty by that name is showing up for that date in the allied forces of the U.S. or Commonwealth.Maybe a regiment or service number would help it you had one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

arnhem44 wrote: »
    Hi Bill,do you have any other info on Aloysius Gardner,no casualty by that name is showing up for that date in the allied forces of the U.S. or Commonwealth.Maybe a regiment or service number would help it you had one.

I copied the post over to here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=74200571&postcount=384

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

moved to genealogy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Waitsian

BillN wrote: »
    How does one go about locating information about a WW I soldier from Belfast? It would be my grandmothers' brother. His name was Aloysius Gardner, from the Belfast area, and he was killed on Nov 10, 1918. That's all I know. Of course all the people in my family alive at the time are long since gone. I'd still like to learn more about him ( unit, picture of his grave in France). Any help you can give would be most appreciated!

Bill Nestor

What branch was he in? Army I presume? British Army? His regiment? Any idea of his age when he died? What was your gran's name? Any idea of their father's name?

I've searched both the CWGC and Ancestry, and nothing for that specific name. We'd need more details.

There are a lot of 'A Gardner' listed on the CWGC website.

On Findmypast there are 15 'A Gardner' listed under National Roll of the Great War.

I checked the Irish Census returns for 1901 & 1911 and there is no-one of that name. I tried Gardner for counties Down and Antrim (Belfast) and there are many.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭johnny_doyle

Bill Nestor

Bill,

are you able to post any other family names, street info or links to his entry in the 1901 and/or 1911 census?

So far, nothing comes up matching the name/date of death.

A list of Belfast soldiers deaths is transcribed and online at :

https://sites.google.com/site/ourheroesinmemoriam/belfast-ww1-roll-of-honour/surnames-a-b/surnames-c-d/surname-e-g

Also nothing on the IrishWarMemorials website

http://www.irishwarmemorials.ie/html/persons.php?section=G

Only 1 medal card comes close in the British Army and this is for a chap with an address in Australia who survived the war.

An Aloysius Gardner born 1885 died in England in 1952.

Johnny

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mari2222

Bill Nestor

Bill
    did you locate any reference to his whereabouts in the 1901 or 1911 census of either Ireland or UK?

That might help with an address.......

Advertisement