Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Friend became homeless

Options
  • 02-07-2020 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭

A friend of mine and her 2 children became homeless recently after not being able to pay the high rents in the house she was renting along with a family bereavement and other personal issues. Her landlord moved all her belongings from the house and has stopped replying to calls/txts.

She has the go to the council and declare them all homeless. What is the procedure once this is in process. She is getting help from all of her friends staying in different houses every few nights. Can she still declare being homeless if she is recieving help with a roof over her head every night rather than on the street.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,124 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

If your friend was evicted during the Covid emergency period, while there is a ban on evictions, and without valid notice, she could be in for a tidy payout if she brings a case to the RTB. Get your friend to contact the RTB and document everything her landlord did in removing her.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭kingbhome

Dav010 wrote: »
    If your friend was evicted during the Covid emergency period, while there is a ban on evictions, and without valid notice, she could be in for a tidy payout if she brings a case to the RTB. Get your friend to contact the RTB and document everything her landlord did in removing her.

I think she got a txt msg in Feb however she did have a close relative pass away and her emotions where all over the place. She buried her head in the sand, covid19 kicked in and.now this. All her belongings have been removed. A payout isn't in her thoughts. All she wants is her belongings and to move on with her life.
    She has been on the council housing list 14 years. .she is a part time single working parent however the rent in her location has got to expensive for her to afford.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,039 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

A text message is not a legal method of communicating termination of tenancy. She should contact Threshold asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Diemos

kingbhome wrote: »
    I think she got a txt msg in Feb however she did have a close relative pass away and her emotions where all over the place. She buried her head in the sand, covid19 kicked in and.now this. All her belongings have been removed. A payout isn't in her thoughts. All she wants is her belongings and to move on with her life.
    She has been on the council housing list 14 years. .she is a part time single working parent however the rent in her location has got to expensive for her to afford.

Sounds like the lady needs counselling as much as housing.
    Life isn't always fair.

Would moving to somewhere cheaper (I'm assuming she is based in Dublin) and starting over be an option?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,187 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Would it be fair to assume that she hadn't been paying the rent for some time now?

• Advertisement

Would it be fair to assume that she hadn't been paying the rent for some time now?

2 or 3 months I think. Im not judging her! I know landlord's have mortgages to pay on houses out etc.. but I also understand people can hit awful times in life. I do not know the full story about it as it's not my business. We're just there for help.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Immaculata

A friend of mine and her 2 children became homeless recently after not being able to pay the high rents in the house she was renting along with a family bereavement and other personal issues. Her landlord moved all her belongings from the house and has stopped replying to calls/txts.

She has the go to the council and declare them all homeless. What is the procedure once this is in process. She is getting help from all of her friends staying in different houses every few nights. Can she still declare being homeless if she is recieving help with a roof over her head every night rather than on the street.

Your friend doesn't own property and doesn't have a secure tenancy, so although she's currently couch surfing with friends, she is homeless and can go to her nearest council office and get herself registered as homeless. The council officer who assists her will help her with next steps.

I'm sorry she's going through all this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

She is homeless, she should go to the council housing dept as soon as possible to inform them she is not at the old address.
    I do not know how someone with 2 or more kids could be more than 10 years on the housing list
    Without getting offered a house from the council
    There's advice and help here, www.focusireland.ie
    www.crosscare.ie
    Crosscare provide temporary housing to those
    who are homeless especially single mothers
    Click on the link services on the website
    She can contact Crosscare by email or phone
    Dublin City Council housing dept is on the ground floor wood Quay office

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

riclad wrote: »
    She is homeless, she should go to the council housing dept as soon as possible to inform them she is not at the old address.
    I do not know how someone with 2 or more kids could be more than 10 years on the housing list
    Without getting offered a house from the council
    There's advice and help here, www.focusireland.ie
    www.crosscare.ie
    Crosscare provide temporary housing to those
    who are homeless especially single mothers
    Click on the link services on the website
    She can contact Crosscare by email or phone
    Dublin City Council housing dept is on the ground floor wood Quay office

Its very common

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

if the eviction happened as you say, she is in for a 20k payout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,124 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Pkiernan wrote: »

That was quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭perfectkama

should get a job in threshold

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

2 or 3 months I think. Im not judging her! I know landlord's have mortgages to pay on houses out etc.. but I also understand people can hit awful times in life. I do not know the full story about it as it's not my business. We're just there for help.

Perhaps you could offer her a place to live with you ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

Maybe the op has a full house or other commitments that won't allow this.

Maybe the op just doesn't want to take on a full family with a lot of problems.

They asked for info on the next steps in process for someone recently made homeless.
    Your post doesn't answer this help anyone, it just adds an accusatory tone to the thread.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,549 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

fret_wimp2 wrote: »
    Maybe the op has a full house or other commitments that won't allow this.

Maybe the op just doesn't want to take on a full family with a lot of problems.

They asked for info on the next steps in process for someone recently made homeless.
    Your post doesn't answer this help anyone, it just adds an accusatory tone to the thread.

Mod Note.
    Your post does the exact same.
    If you have a problem with a post, please use the report function.

Pkiernan wrote: »

She would not want this. This would just bring hardship on the landlord. All she wants is her personal belongings back and to move on. And maybe set up.a payment plan to pay the arrears in rent.

Its not as simple as this!

Advertisement