Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emily

Options
  • 01-09-2005 1:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭

Hey, I'm in a band called Emily. We used to be called DropOut, but got a new singer and name.

We have recorded once so far, but we're recording again this coming Sunday.

You can hear our track on www.myspace.com/emilymusic
    Our website is www.emilymusic.tk

Unfortunately, it's rarely updated, coz none of us have been arsed to figure out how to do it.

If there's any genre for us to belong to, it'd be pop-punk. We were played on NearFM today/yesterday/Wednesday which was pretty cool.

We've been around half a year or so now and we've been gigging around for awhile now. Just played Doran's tonight.

We're playing the Hub in Temple Bar on the 14th of September and 15th of September in the Draíocht at the Blanchardstown shopping centre. They'll both be on around 7 or 8, I assume.

Jeez, sorry for the essay.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

Ahhh you used to be Dropout. we played with you ages ago in Dorans. I was seeing Emily on every board thinking... who are they. Ill check out your stuff lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭quank

Thanks, bom. :)

Yeah, I remember that gig too, with Koala Attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Emily??

Think we were supposed to play a gig with you in the hub before, but you dropped out.

Is there a collins* in you band?

*denotes last name.

You mean Brian, our bassist? I assume you're in Fat Camp and as far as I know, Brian's older brother is in FC too. I remember supposed to be playing with FC, but I can't remember why we didn't... *shrugs*

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Yep that's it.

Cant remember why you guys pulled out either.
    We weren't too worried though, we got a longer set out of it!:p

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 334 ✭✭scuzzy

Your drummer needs to practise more.
    Yous should consider playing screamy hardcore punk music.
    Keep it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

Music reminds me of Lustra - Scotty Doesnt Know

Like it though

scuzzy wrote:
    Your drummer needs to practise more.
    Yous should consider playing screamy hardcore punk music.
    Keep it up.

I actually couldn't practice properly at home 'coz of **** neighbours, but I recently got an electronic kit... so, hopefully... :)

"screamy hardcore..." sarcasm? o.O

I'm not at all familiar with Lustra.

Thanks for the feedback guys. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭JMArr

Good stuff ..singer a fan of gwen stefani any chance?

Thanks. Not sure. I know she liked that annoying bananas song, but hates that latest single.

• Advertisement

Just to let peeps know, we put up a new song on www.myspace.com/emilymusic

quank wrote:
    I actually couldn't practice properly at home 'coz of **** neighbours, but I recently got an electronic kit... so, hopefully... :)

"screamy hardcore..." sarcasm? o.O

I'm not at all familiar with Lustra.

Thanks for the feedback guys. :)
    Electronic kits are bollocks, get drum dampeners or practise on those rubber circular jobbys. You need to improve your timing more than anything.
    And no, I'm not being sarcastic. Listen to bands like Post Regiment, resist and exist, and the like. Both have female vocalists and they're both ****ing savage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭OLP

yeah they should change their music cause you think it'd sound better

scuzzy wrote:
    Electronic kits are bollocks, get drum dampeners or practise on those rubber circular jobbys. You need to improve your timing more than anything.

Em, I'm pretty sure I didn't fall out of time. Especially with the song uploaded on myspace. Actually, I just listened to it, and there's no timing error. I'm not being patronising, but do you know how most songs are recorded in a studio?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭clint_silver

listened to the new song. liked it for its potential if not for its waywardness.
    I wont say what you *need* to do to make it sound better only what *I think* you need to do.
    For a guitar band your drummer (you if Im not mistaken) is overpowering the guitar. It takes away from the punch of the guitar which I think is the driver of the song and therefore it makes the guitar a back seat passenger.
    Try opening your snare a little as well to get a snappier sound. Its got that "untouched since bought in the shop" sound.
    Your rolls bringing the chorus and bridge in are too disjoined try either simplifying them or adding more to the roll. Thats probably what the other poster was getting at with the timing point but I didnt hear any timing issues.
    The

Your singer definitely sounds as tho shes garnished stefanis vocal style, its the first thing that hit me. Good singer, dont get me wrong, problem is that she may be losing her vocal identity by taking on stefanis, which is so unique that your singer will be constantly compared to her. The overlaying vox were good, dunno how that'll work out live. (which is a leading statement-question)
    On the plus, the guitars have a fantastic sound (See first point). The song carries along well, but again, overall, its lacking direction and in the end, I found myself waiting for the song to end some time before the song actually ended which I was dissappointed with as I thought I could grow to like the song after the first 30 secs.

=======================

Im 20 years in the industry in one shape or another. Im not an expert but have views and experience and the best thing about advice is it that its just that and doesnt have to be taken.

Thanks for your views man.

About the snare: I used the studio's own drum kit, and was told that everything was perfectly tuned. I didn't want to mess with anything.

Oh, and the back-ups: well, most of the back-ups probably won't exist live but some can be done by one of the guitarists and bassist.

Thanks again for your post. Appreciate it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭ANarcho-Munk

scuzzy wrote:
    Yous should consider playing screamy hard-core punk music.

Strangely enough, i was thinking along the same lines....

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Faddymackshyte

Love this band..........quality live band, really get the crowd going!!

I wouldn't say Christine sounds like Gwen Stefani, but I think her voice is over powereng in Fold Like A Twenty, because she does backing aswell.......Brian attempting it was hilarious!!!

You really should check them out live though.......great synchronized jumps and all!!!

OLP wrote:
    yeah they should change their music cause you think it'd sound better
    You were just looking for a reply to that post weren't you. Well, now you have it.

What i meant by timing is your individual drum hits, they're a bit off. It's more noticeable the faster you play. Maybe when you practise on your own play the songs waaaay faster than you usually play them, your technique and stamina n all that **** will improve faster. I'd like to hear you play heavier **** than that, i think it'd sound rather lovely. And keep practising and playing ****loads.

End of *opinion*

Thanks for scuzzy for being more specific :) I'll take it into account.

We have a gig tomorrow fortnight (October 4th) in the International Bar, near Musicmaker. Will start around 7 I think. It's an acoustic gig with lots more bands playing. Every act has a short set. And the admission is only €2. Over 18's too.

• Advertisement

Oct4poster3.jpg

Recently recorded a new track. Check it on www.myspace.com/emilymusic

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭carpothepunk

Like i said before jojo,i like the new song

Not your best,but great lyrics;)

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Colmfatcamp

i made a thread a while ago but i cant seem to find it,

anywho

new track "Drama, Drama" is online at www.myspace.com/emilymusic

opinions would be fabulous, good or bad.

we are releasing a single "Dear Temptation" scheduled on May 19th in shops nationwide. There shall be a sampler up next week or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Found it, just change the display options in the bottom left of the forum from "last month" to however long it's been since you updated the thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭BlueSpiral

I've heard you guys play before and I thought you were great. About 3 of my friends love Emily, and oddly and ironically enough one of them is called Emily.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭marshmallow

Hey, just got say love 'You Fold Like A Twenty'. I listen to it a lot! Heard 'Dear Temptation' before, any chance of getting it on the myspace site?

We've got an album ready to release in April or so we hope.

We have a couple of new tracks on our MySpace / PureVolume / Bebo pages and an album sampler are on both the PV and Bebo page.

If you'd be so lovely as to check them out, that'd be great.

... and three months on we're about to release our album. This Friday in fact. It's called "This Is Our Emergency" and should be available in most shops for about €15 or on iTunes for about a tenner. We released a single last Friday called "Just Because You Say It" and it's in most shops nationwide, also available on iTunes.

I doubt many people read these pimping threads but if you are, please check out our single, you can even give it a listen on our MySpace (http://www.myspace.com/emilymusic).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭alienhead

checked out a few tracks, not too shabby, good luck to yiz.

Advertisement