Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RGI cert 2 fee

• 22-09-2019 2:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Hi, I wonder what fee might be charged for an RGI cert of completion?

Work to be done:
    - replace old boiler with new one
    - connect new attic bathroom to existing water circuit
    - install new heated towel rail in new attic bathroom
    - install new radiator in attic room

"CERT 2: For boiler replacement on existing gas installations with a gas meter already fitted"

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,156 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Ron75 wrote:
    "CERT 2: For boiler replacement on existing gas installations with a gas meter already fitted"

Isn't the RGI that replaced the boiler issuing the cert?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Ron75

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Isn't the RGI that replaced the boiler issuing the cert?

The plumber asked for €350 upfront to have the cert issued by the time he's done with the job.

While I trust the plumber I was actually expecting to have the cert issued once the job is done and not before hand. Plus €350 sounds like a lot, but maybe I just got the wrong expectation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Ron75 wrote: »
    Hi, I wonder what fee might be charged for an RGI cert of completion?

Work to be done:
    - replace old boiler with new one

Not relevant to gas work and Certs(K.F.)
    - connect new attic bathroom to existing water circuit
    - install new heated towel rail in new attic bathroom
    - install new radiator in attic room

Something doesn't sound quite right.
    Is the person installing the boiler a Registered Gas Installer or are they getting someone else to certify it?

Ron75 wrote:
    The plumber asked for €350 upfront to have the cert issued by the time he's done with the job.

I'm not RGI & I don't do boilers but I would have assumed that if the plumber was RGI then the cert was included in his original quote to supply and fit the boiler.

I'm pretty sure a plumber buying certs from RGI guys has been made illegal. Plenty of very good RGI lads here can tell you for certain but I thought certing someone else's work was illegal nowadays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 478 ✭✭rightjob!

While I trust the plumber I was actually expecting to have the cert issued once the job is done and not before hand. Plus €350 sounds like a lot, but maybe I just got the wrong expectation

The plumber who is replacing the boiler,is he the same plumber who is issuing the cert?

If a boiler is replaced you must be issued a cert 2,simple as that.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

a cert 2, to an RGI is €9.36 incl vat each......(purchased in books of 5 at that price)

Certs can be issued 'on site' at the time of completion, then the RGI sends it via (free) post to the RGII.

These certs can be sent via post to the RGI once he orders and pays for them with a small postage charge, or can be collected anytime at the RGII office.

http://www.rgii.ie/_fileupload/installer%20files/ORDER%20FORM%20August%202017-Copy.pdf

rightjob! wrote: »
    The plumber who is replacing the boiler,is he the same plumber who is issuing the cert?

If a boiler is replaced you must be issued a cert 2,simple as that.

He mentioned that he is in contact with someone regarding the cert. The plumber works as a contractor for the builder who has done our attic and the remaining boiler and plumbing jobs will be carried out tomorrow and are part of the attic agreement with the builder.

I searched for the plumber on rgii.ie but no luck, so I assume he might do the work and have an official RGI certify it

He mentioned that he is in contact with someone regarding the cert. The plumber works as a contractor for the builder who has done our attic and the remaining boiler and plumbing jobs will be carried out tomorrow and are part of the attic agreement with the builder.

I searched for the plumber on rgii.ie but no luck, so I assume he might do the work and have an official RGI certify it

It is illegal for anyone, other than a Registered Gas Installer, to carry out any gas related work, including the installation of gas appliances.
    It would appear that your plumber is not gas registered if they need someone else to issue the installation cert, otherwise they would just issue it themselves. Hence looking for this odd upfront payment.

Is the boiler on the wall yet or is that yet to be done?
    If it's not done yet, you have the right to tell the builder that you want all gas related work to be done and completed by an RGI. Don't be afraid to ask the RGI for his I.D., it should have an expiration date for the end of this year and is blue in colour.

OP the work your having done could cause you problems, as mentioned it’s illegal to do gasworks without being a RGII but also the work is not insured so if there is any problems now or down the road you may find you’re own your own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭FrankPoll.

gary71 wrote: »
    OP the work your having done could cause you problems, as mentioned it’s illegal to do gasworks without being a RGII but also the work is not insured so if there is any problems now or down the road you may find you’re own your own.

Does the RGI force the guy issuing the cert illegally to sort everything out if it comes to their attention after work is done.

• Advertisement

I remember this happening a few times with Reci on the electrics

Its a dogs dinner to sort out , the guy issuing the cert is usually brought in to make everything right even though he didn't do the work

FrankPoll. wrote: »
    Does the RGI force the guy issuing the cert illegally to sort everything out if it comes to their attention after work is done.

Most likely.

The RGI seem very hot on this at the moment.

gary71 wrote: »
    Most likely.

The RGI seem very hot on this at the moment.

It was rife in the electrical game but I doubt many would risk the badge or the pl insurance now.

Any updates, would be interesting to hear how it went.

K.Flyer wrote: »
    Any updates, would be interesting to hear how it went.

The plumber removed the old boiler and fitted the new one, but only to make sure everything is ready for his partner, the RGI guy, to install, test and certify the new boiler. Was meant to be completed yesterday, but he had a family emergency and wanted to do it today, but so far it's a no show...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

The plumber removed the old boiler and fitted the new one, but only to make sure everything is ready for his partner, the RGI guy, to install, test and certify the new boiler. Was meant to be completed yesterday, but he had a family emergency and wanted to do it today, but so far it's a no show...

If the new one was fitted then that’s the same as install. So basically as stated above, un reg fits the boiler, buddy certifies

Quick update: It's getting messy ...

The plumber has gone missing for a week now (again) with his phone being switched off and unavailable for anyone. Called the RGI guy who was supposed to install the boiler, but he wasn't aware of the job and hasn't been in touch with the plumber for a long time. So the plumber was clearly lying.
    He confirmed to know him, but no close contact, and also confirmed that the plumber used to be a RGI, just doesn't have the papers anymore.

In addition the RGI also advised he will not continue with the installation as he wouldn't feel comfortable to continue another plumbers work.

Looks like we can say goodbye to our money and need to look for another RGI who's willing to sort it out. We're now left without a boiler = no hot water and no heating for a week already and 2 little sick kids.

Any suggestions on what I could do?

I'm getting confused here. Exactly what work has been done & exactly what work needs to be done by RGI.

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I'm getting confused here. Exactly what work has been done & exactly what work needs to be done by RGI.

I have attached a picture of how the place for the boiler looks like. From my understanding:
    What was done:
    - as part of the attic conversion, he did the plumbing work in the ensuite and
    - last week he disconnected the old boiler
    - partly fitted the frame of the new one
    - removed the storage cylinder from the hotpress

What needs to be done:
    - fit the new boiler (boiler is with us)
    - connect to the new ensuite in the attic (put hot water pipe from boiler straight up into the attic and connect with the pre-installed pipes)
    - new radiator in the attic is mounted and seems connected (from what I can tell)

Some more pictures

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,465 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Was this plumber not working for your builder.
    If your builder has priced for this work, it's his baby to have it sorted by registered installer.
    You plumber is a fraud. He knew he couldnt cert it and had no intention of having anyone else do it either. The cowboy culture is alive and well.

Hotpress

mickdw wrote: »
    Was this plumber not working for your builder.
    If your builder has priced for this work, it's his baby to have it sorted by registered installer.
    You plumber is a fraud. He knew he couldnt cert it and had no intention of having anyone else do it either. The cowboy culture is alive and well.

I have reached out to the builder explaining the whole situation. Couldn't reach him by phone, but will try again tomorrow.
    Thing is the builder let us down a few times during the build as well, disappearing for a couple of days without any notice nor returning calls or text. The whole conversion took 8 weeks instead of the promised 2-3 and constantly asking for money upfront.
    The plumber told me the builder still owed him his wage from a previous job so he isn't able to buy the boiler and materials needed. He therefore asked me to tell the builder the job is done and only the radiator needs to be fixed. In that case the builder would need to pay him and he could finish the job quickly. I did and 2 days later he showed up with the boiler, pump and flue. It looked good and he seemed to be a man of his word. Then he disappeared for a week. Explanation was he got arrested for uninsured driving (don't think they'll put you straight under arrest for a week for that). Anyway, I didn't really care and just wanted the job done. He came back last Monday to remove the boiler (supposed to be with the RGI) and you know the rest of the story...

What a mess, I hope that mounting bracket is just hanging up out of the way and not permanently fixed :rolleyes:
    Trying to pick through this for you so a few questions..
    Was the boiler replacement and cylinder removal etc part of the job priced by the builder, or a separate job between you and this plumber?
    Is the builder finished and fully paid or what is the situation there?

K.Flyer wrote: »
    What a mess, I hope that mounting bracket is just hanging up out of the way and not permanently fixed :rolleyes:
    Trying to pick through this for you so a few questions..
    Was the boiler replacement and cylinder removal etc part of the job priced by the builder, or a separate job between you and this plumber?
    Is the builder finished and fully paid or what is the situation there?

It was part of the conversion and the builder charged us 4k for it. The builder is finished. A few bits and bops that still need to be done, but after a series of no shows and I have started to fix them myself as I am tired of all these delays, chasing and empty promises. We just want our normal life back after 11 weeks living in a mess.
    The builder has been fully paid already. I know, we shouldn't have done that, but he said another job didn't pay him and he needs the full amount to continue. After all these delays we just wanted them to finish...

Oh, and the bracket is only secured by one screw ;)

OP you need to contact RGII first thing tomorrow
    http://www.rgii.ie/help/report-an-illegal-gas-worker.2681.html

There is no excuse for not being registered anymore it’s illegal and is being enforced.

Your just lucky he didn’t run you over because like the work he’s done in your home he’s got no insurance.

It was part of the conversion and the builder charged us 4k for it. The builder is finished. A few bits and bops that still need to be done, but after a series of no shows and I have started to fix them myself as I am tired of all these delays, chasing and empty promises. We just want our normal life back after 11 weeks living in a mess.
    The builder has been fully paid already. I know, we shouldn't have done that, but he said another job didn't pay him and he needs the full amount to continue. After all these delays we just wanted them to finish...

Oh, and the bracket is only secured by one screw ;)

Did the 4k include the materials, the boiler, flue, pump and other materials etc used or not used, but in your possession?
    If they both have their money, it's probably going to be difficult to get either of them back.
    Your primary contract is directly with the builder, he is the one you paid, he is now the one you chase.
    Do not let the plumber back in, he is not RGI and therefore unable to legally complete the work regarding the boiler.
    My suggestion is some recorded correspondence to the builder, by text or email, telling him that you want the job finished correctly and by the correct tradesman.
    He will either sort it or not, either ways at this stage you have to decide if you want to get legal with him, or just cut your losses and get someone else to finish the job.

Terrible situation to be in which im sure you are aware of.
    So are you left now with no hot water as hes removed the cylinder?
    Obviously you have no heating as the boiler is gone.

Sorry have just seen the photos of the cylinder is gone.

Also can you take a few photos of the pipework thats at that boiler?
    Wondering is that half inch pipe with the elbow on it the old gas that was feeding the boiler.
    Also double check that the fuse has been removed from the spur,that cable could become live if it hasnt been isolated properly.

• Advertisement
Advertisement