Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Kodiaq 7 seater vs MPV 7 seater

Options
  • 21-09-2019 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭

As thread suggests looking to get a 2017 7 seater. I have 3 kids so only need extra seats occasionally. Has to be auto. I was looking at skoda kodiaq sportline or style 2.0 TDI DSG. Great all rounder. I just want to explore all avenues before I bite the bullet. Would something like an smax be more practical. Kids are 8, 5 and 2. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

As thread suggests looking to get a 2017 7 seater. I have 3 kids so only need extra seats occasionally. Has to be auto. I was looking at skoda kodiaq sportline or style 2.0 TDI DSG. Great all rounder. I just want to explore all avenues before I bite the bullet. Would something like an smax be more practical. Kids are 8, 5 and 2. Thanks.

It’s a big jump from a Kodiaq to an SMAX. Both cars are in a different class. The Kodiaq would be up again X-Trail/5008/etc

The SMAX is up against MPV like Picasso etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭pajosjunkbox

Yep I realise they are not like for like. I suppose what I'm really asking is which is suited better to a family ?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,388 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

A proper MPV is better for the job, but jeepyness is cooler.

Yep I realise they are not like for like. I suppose what I'm really asking is which is suited better to a family ?

MPV all day long

The Kodiaq is small inside, you will struggle with 3 across the back

The only difference is the 5008 which has 3 full seats across the back....

Yep the kodiaq sportline is pleasing on the eye. Love the dash and the way it's set out inside. Anybody know if the ride is harsh on 20 inch wheels ?

• Advertisement

Yep the kodiaq sportline is pleasing on the eye. Love the dash and the way it's set out inside. Anybody know if the ride is harsh on 20 inch wheels ?

I test drove one, I’m not a huge fan of Skoda to start with but the whole thing felt cheap...everything about it

Drove down the road and took the Seat version of the Kodiaq out, it was a lot better....

If going that direction start at the Seat

Must test drive the seat . Am I right in saying they are basically the same car under the bonnet ?

Must test drive the seat . Am I right in saying they are basically the same car under the bonnet ?

Yes.

Exact same, just different interior....

Has anyone else experience of kodiaq ownership. Just not feeling the Seat Tarraco. Kodiaq just seems tidier or something

• Advertisement

I would say the Skoda should have better resale due to being better known. I’d prefer the Seat though.

colm_mcm wrote:
    I would say the Skoda should have better resale due to being better known. I’d prefer the Seat though.

What is it that sways it for you Colm. I know from reading your posts you are a fan of the Civic . Have a 1.8 Civic myself the last few years. Love it. Also have a 1.8 FRV but want to upgrade to something more solid on the road especially for long journeys.

I just think it looks more premium on the outside than the Kodiaq.

The interiors are much of a muchness

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭spuddy

I've just gone though the motions to pick a 7 seater, really a 5 + 2 seater, as we only need the additional seats occasionally. Having looked at every model under the sun, visiting dealerships, getting in and out of those 3rd rows, I landed on a car which had barely registered with me before starting down this path, a Volkswagen Touran.

It has 3 things going for it, in addition to the usual VW attributes, 1) the 2 pop up seats are actually useable... trust me, I've tried the competition 2) all 5 rear seats have isofix points which gives huge flexibility when you need the middle row for adults (eg trips with the grandparents), 3) the best way you'd describe it's design is "practical" so it just isn't in demand, and therefore it's very good value for money, especially in the UK.

More here https://www.whatcar.com/volkswagen/touran/mpv/review/n17348

Good luck with your search!

Bar the boards crowd the rest of the world is aware that Skoda is the cheap brand of VW group

The Seat should and will hold its value similar if not better. Sit into the Skoda and then go straight and test drive the Seat.....you will notice the differences, if not then buy the Skoda....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I'm a fan of the Touran. We've had one. But while super practical it's boring and the boot with 7 seats up is small. Which make it compact for parking, it's shorter than a Passat. With 5 seats the boot is massive. Depends what you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Would love the vRS

beauf wrote: »
    I'm a fan of the Touran. We've had one. But while super practical it's boring and the boot with 7 seats up is small. Which make it compact for parking, it's shorter than a Passat. With 5 seats the boot is massive. Depends what you want.

The integrated booster in the Touran are excellent

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Bar the boards crowd the rest of the world is aware that Skoda is the cheap brand of VW group

The Seat should and will hold its value similar if not better. Sit into the Skoda and then go straight and test drive the Seat.....you will notice the differences, if not then buy the Skoda....

Probably comes down to personal design taste in the design at that point.

Shefwedfan wrote: »

I think in Ireland Skoda seems to punch above its weight for desirability.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭adam88

Have a 2019 kodiaq sports-line. Mint machine, it’s my 4th skoda and would take an awful lot to get me away from the brand at this stage. Don’t have kids but would have it nearly full with adults from time to time and no complains having a big lad in the back. Journey only be 20 or so miles max so can’t see any problems throwing in two young lads into the back. What sort of budget has the OP???

adam88 wrote:
    Have a 2019 kodiaq sports-line. Mint machine, it’s my 4th skoda and would take an awful lot to get me away from the brand at this stage. Don’t have kids but would have it nearly full with adults from time to time and no complains having a big lad in the back. Journey only be 20 or so miles max so can’t see any problems throwing in two young lads into the back. What sort of budget has the OP???

Budget is 35,000 max. Looking at 2017 . Not sure if the sportline was around in 2017 so will also be considering style spec. I used to have a superb estate and really liked it. Serious boot for buggy's etc

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭freddieot

Earlier this year I moved from an X5 to a Kodiaq Style, 190, 4x4 with extras. Partly prompted by cost and overall size requirement but also by my X5 costing me a fortune once it was 3.5 years old and out of warrantly (EGR, Hoses, TPMS valve etc.). Not what I expected from a 58km 2015 premium vehicle. However, the interior was very good.

I looked at the Tiguan but it was a bit narrow and in my opinion vastly overpriced for the market point.

The 5008 was very good but again smaller than the Kodiaq and had no 4x4 (which I do use).

I have to say the build quality on the Kodiaq is not as good as an X5 but the quality is still fantastic and I'm delighted with the car and the mod tech. Electric leather seats, digital display, nav. ambient etc.

I've had many brands in the past including Volvo and Audi, Hyundai and Kia so brand name or loyalty is never my main concern. If it is and you want a prestige VAG product then you need to look at the Audi not the VW.

Not really interested in absolute premium as the budget restricts me. I'm looking for an all round family car that is a good balance between practicality, reliability and is easy on the eye.
    The 2.0 TDI engine is I think a reliable engine. It's been in the A4 since 2008 and all VAG products really since around then.
    I have 2 Honda's at present and they have been utterly reliable as you would expect. What the Honda lacks is the solid feel that VAG cars have .

I am between the Kodiaq sportline and style trim. I don't need 4x4 and probably prefer without it as mpg would improve without it. I love the wheels on the sportline but would be concerned with it being a bit harsh. I used to own an Audi sline with 18 inch wheels and the harshness of the ride was noticeable even if it was a beautiful car.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Vico1612

I have a Sportline with 20 inch. I find the ride better than the previous kodiaq I had with 19(style trim) . Car doesn't feel as bouncy as previous one (maybe because of sport seats)
    Edit : both cars are 150 Diesel + DSG if that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 15 DeasunK

What did you end up going for? Starting to look at 7 seaters too. Kodiaq or 5008.

What price are they new and/or 1-2 years old models?

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

What price are they new and/or 1-2 years old models?[/quote]

look at car zone your self and dont be expecting other fellas to do it for you,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭adam88

What price are they new and/or 1-2 years old models?

look at car zone your self and dont be expecting other fellas to do it for you,[/quote]

You must be a bundle of laughs

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Back on topic, helping OP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭wingnut

. I just want to explore all avenues before I bite the bullet. Would something like an smax be more practical. Kids are 8, 5 and 2. Thanks.

MPV all day long with a family, the bigger the better for us anyway as practically is important.

Some of these crossovers are completely pointless. I actually laughed at the qashqai+2 when we were looking at cars as the rear 'seats' are just back supports for someone sitting on the floor of the boot. The seats would not even fit my 5 year old son!

Most of them are 2WD drive anyway so you are just getting extra weight, more expensive tyres etc for no real benefit.

Advertisement