Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Final Fantasy VIII remastered

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

Its been well over a decade. Remind how to break the game early on?

I remember getting to the end (I think), fighting some witch in a castle, but I wasnt strong enough, or right weapons or something but the world map was locked. Was disgusted ha ha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,074 ✭✭✭Daith

Keep a low level and use GF abilities to refine items like cards, into magic and junction them.
    I remember getting to the end (I think), fighting some witch in a castle, but I wasnt strong enough, or right weapons or something but the world map was locked. Was disgusted ha ha

I hated that the world gets closed off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭Evade

Learn these abilities as soon as you get the GF

Quezocotl: Card > Card Mod> T Mag-Ref
    Ifrit: HP-J > Str +20%
    Shiva: I Mag-Ref

Play some cards and get 5 Abyss Worm cards. Turn them into Windmills with Card Mod and then Tornado magic with T Mag-Ref. Use I Mag-Ref to turn Fish Fins, Fastitocalon-F on the beach have them, into Water magic.

Junction Ifrit to Squall. Put Water in HP for ~1000 HP early on and put Tornado into strength for ~70 Strength. Leave Squall at less than 25% HP and tap triangle on his turn to refresh the window until you get Renzokuken. Junction Str +20% whenever you get it too. That'll get you 4+ 500 damage hits per turn with Squall.

Other good early game cards to watch out for:

Grendel > Dragon Fin > Double
    Armadodo > Dino Bone > Quake
    Use Diablos' Time Mag-Ref to get the magic

Gayla > Mystery Fluid > Meltdown
    Tri-Face > Curse Spike > Pain
    Use Diablos' St Mag-Ref to get the magic

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Oh god, stat juggling.

Is it possible to succeed with FF8, sticking with the "beating the enemy with a blunt or sharp object" tactic, or is this GF card voodoo necessary?

You can play without refining any cards, you'll just have to draw all your magic or refine it from enemy drops. I'd always suggest having the GFs learn the stat junctions and magic refines before the GF boosting stuff though.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Manning3000

How does the remaster look on PS4? Just bought it on the App should be downloaded for the time I am home tonight.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,882 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

pixelburp wrote: »
    Oh god, stat juggling.

Is it possible to succeed with FF8, sticking with the "beating the enemy with a blunt or sharp object" tactic, or is this GF card voodoo necessary?

Yes you can. Just remember to draw as much magic as you can and focus on GF abilities that allow you to junction magic to stats and also to refine low level magic to high level magic (this becomes essential later on as you only have a set amount of different types of magic and will need to offload the crappier magic).

Just whatever you do don't rely on using GFs. You should not be using them at all. You'll end up underlevelled and stuck once you reach a certain third disc boss.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    a certain third disc boss.
    Which boss?

EDIT:
    Is it the Sorceress that's trying to absorb Rinoa?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,882 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Evade wrote: »
    Which boss?

EDIT:
    Is it the Sorceress that's trying to absorb Rinoa?

Yep, the noob destroyer.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Hmmm interesting. I don't think I ever finished FF8 back when I played it as a teen; suspect not knowing how the system works I got to that cliff-face.

I definitely fallen into my old habit of playing cards too much. I ended up having Squall's Punishment going on the SeeD exam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭Underground

The x3 really takes the misery out of grinding (cue Mrs Doyle meme).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭Underground

The stuff you don't pick up on when you're a kid. Only when playing through this now does it dawn on me how much of an incompetent idiot Headmaster Cid is. He's actually infuriating.

Advertisement