Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

4x4: No tax, cheap insurance and ultra cheap fuel.

Options
  • 19-09-2019 8:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭

Ok lads, I've moved to sandland and its time to buy a car. Our rented pajero drinks fuel (who cares?) and is as slow as Christmas. Bank stuff and housing is almost sorted so we are in the position to purchase a car to round life off in the coming weeks. There is no car tax, insurance is about €200 no matter what car and M95 is sub 50c a litre.

Here are the options:
    2011 - 2013 Cayenne
    2012 - 2014 5.7 Hemi Grand Cherokee (would like an SRT but they are a little out of what we are comfortable spending on a monthly)
    2010 - 2012 Mercedes GL Class eg GLS450/GLS500
    ML Class 2011 - 2013
    Ford Explorer 2015 +/- 1 year
    Ford Expedition 2012/2013

The usual American stuff, Dodge Durango, Escalade, Tahoe, Suburban etc is on our radar too.

Don't want a Patrol, Pajero, Amazon/LX570 or Prado as they are everywhere and just don't appeal to me.

I've driven a Dodge Challenger and a Jeep Grand Cher 5.7. Wife and I really liked the Jeep and both of us loved the Challenger but agreed we couldn't live with it as a daily driver. She wants to try a Mustang but I am hesitant as they have a rep for falling apart inside and the heat here is cruel so interior plastic have to put up with a lot to begin with.

A 4X4 is really the best option as life here revolves around the weekends and we will want to go into the mountains and off road tracks to the sites of this stunning place. Also road safety is non existent, everybody is on the phone/texting, tailgating and the driving standards of locals and the asian expats are dire so a big car is essential. Small cars are bullied out of the way. As much as I'd love a car eg an M, Challenger or an AMG it isn't really a runner.

Any thoughts or experiences of these kinds of machines as rentals or whatever?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

[...]
    There is no car tax, insurance is about €200 no matter what car and M95 is sub 50c a litre.[..]
    Any thoughts,[...]

You just posted that to watch grown men cry, cruel you are, cruel I say... :D :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

K.Flyer wrote: »
    You just posted that to watch grown men cry, cruel you are, cruel I say... :D :pac:

Sorry!

Your don’t want list are the ones to go for :P

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭wing52

How about a nice lm002 lambo? Just right for a bit of falconing! Or a bit more realistic, an mb g500.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,147 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

BMW X5 or X6 xDrive50i?

• Advertisement

Your don’t want list are the ones to go for :P

It isn't that I don't want them, they are EVERYWHERE and I just amn't a fan.
    wing52 wrote: »
    How about a nice lm002 lambo? Just right for a bit of falconing! Or a bit more realistic, an mb g500.

G500/G63 are crazy money, they are the ultimate status symbol to the average young and well heeled Arab so command big bucks. Even ones from the early 00's ask the guts of €20k. I'd love one mind you!

I saw an lm002 lambo during the week. I just googled it and realised I had seen one. They are nuts!
    bazz26 wrote: »
    BMW X5 or X6 xDrive50i?

The 4.4 V8 they use is notoriously unreliable so no. They are cheap here for a reason. 2012 can be bought for less than €10k and the same ones sit on OLX (local donedeal) for months it appears.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Yawlboy

How about a Range Rover, supercharged would be fun. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,895 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Ford f150 raptor svt

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭scooby77

Lived in Dubai for few years a decade ago, still have family and friends there and visit there and other parts of the ME very regularly.
    Some observations from anecdotes and my own driving/ ownership experience there. This would apply to most of the Middle East.
    Don't underestimate the effect of the summer heat on a car (and indeed on yourself when in it!). A strong reliable AC system must be one of your priorities when choosing a car.
    The reason Japanese cars are ubiquitous there is because their cooling systems and AC seem better able to cope. A secondary reason is easier access to parts. American cars , though maybe generally less reliable, also seem to deal with the heat better (I suppose parts of US very hot) generally European cars overall seem less suited, particularly AC system. Some manufacturers also modify the cooling system/ AC in more popular models sold there to allow for the heat.(This used to be called "gulf-spec", not sure if still the case) For this reason only buy a car that was bought new there. Rarer US/ European models would be bought abroad and imported directly. I'd avoid.
    By the I have very fond memories of a swb 3.0 v6 pajero I owned there. Great fun, got dogs abuse but was bulletproof.
    Sorry, but I have to say overall some of the "nots" on your choice tick alot of boxes. Definitely Japanese there for me. (I drive European here at home).

So test drove a Cayenne this evening, a 4.8 V8. It was a local car but I felt it had a tough life. Radio wouldn't switch on, missus googled how to turn it on as we waited and the whole unit dying seems to be a very common problem. Driving it then and the whole car had a vibration through it like from a bad wheel bearing. The vibration got really pronounced when the car was stopped which was worrying as the transfer case in them give a lot of issues. Gear changes were very jerky so I'd say a transmission service was due. Dropped it back and didn't even talk numbers. I had motion sickness after a 5 mile run and herself hated it. Disappointed but not the end of the world. We decided we would have a look at an Amazon maybe during the week, the Lexus is out of the budget sadly. Going to drive a Tahoe too, they seem lovely inside. Hard to see past a Grand Cherokee at this stage from driving the hemi last week.

• Advertisement

scooby77 wrote: »
    Lived in Dubai for few years a decade ago, still have family and friends there and visit there and other parts of the ME very regularly.
    Some observations from anecdotes and my own driving/ ownership experience there. This would apply to most of the Middle East.
    Don't underestimate the effect of the summer heat on a car (and indeed on yourself when in it!). A strong reliable AC system must be one of your priorities when choosing a car.
    The reason Japanese cars are ubiquitous there is because their cooling systems and AC seem better able to cope. A secondary reason is easier access to parts. American cars , though maybe generally less reliable, also seem to deal with the heat better (I suppose parts of US very hot) generally European cars overall seem less suited, particularly AC system. Some manufacturers also modify the cooling system/ AC in more popular models sold there to allow for the heat.(This used to be called "gulf-spec", not sure if still the case) For this reason only buy a car that was bought new there. Rarer US/ European models would be bought abroad and imported directly. I'd avoid.
    By the I have very fond memories of a swb 3.0 v6 pajero I owned there. Great fun, got dogs abuse but was bulletproof.
    Sorry, but I have to say overall some of the "nots" on your choice tick alot of boxes. Definitely Japanese there for me. (I drive European here at home).

Yes Gulf spec exists still. Any American cars I've looked at have all been painted and quite badly painted at that. Drove a GCC spec Jeep GC last week and the AC was icey cool. It was gone this week so I think we missed it sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

My brother lives over there and spent some time working in the desert. For him, it's either Toyota or Nissan for proper desert work but he's not a fan of the Prado.

More recently, he's driving a Mitsubishi Montero (bought at the start of the year) since he's now town and only goes into the desert for weekend camping. When he moved back to town, he got a Gulf Spec Cherokee and that had loads of small problems (electrical, trim, doors, etc). One day it let go spectacularly when a crankshaft inspection hole was created by a conrod... He replaced it with a Nissan Pathfinder.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭scooby77

If I was moving back there I'd consider a 4.0 v6 Fortuner. I've rented one in Dubai a few times and did almost 3500km in 3 weeks in Namibia in one last July (albeit the 2.4 diesel) Great machine in all terrain. A reasonably new one wouldn't break the bank. Though probably bit spartan for some. Hilux reliability.
    An FJ Cruiser another I'd consider...though I know they're marmite...some love them, some hate.
    Nissan Super Safari has great reputation over there too.

ianobrien wrote: »
    My brother lives over there and spent some time working in the desert. For him, it's either Toyota or Nissan for proper desert work but he's not a fan of the Prado.

More recently, he's driving a Mitsubishi Montero (bought at the start of the year) since he's now town and only goes into the desert for weekend camping. When he moved back to town, he got a Gulf Spec Cherokee and that had loads of small problems (electrical, trim, doors, etc). One day it let go spectacularly when a crankshaft inspection hole was created by a conrod... He replaced it with a Nissan Pathfinder.

The pathfinder is actually a very nice jeep. Problem is I am a car man and herself loves her cars too so buying something "mainstream" will cause me to be looking elsewhere all the time.
    scooby77 wrote: »
    If I was moving back there I'd consider a 4.0 v6 Fortuner. I've rented one in Dubai a few times and did almost 3500km in 3 weeks in Namibia in one last July (albeit the 2.4 diesel) Great machine in all terrain. A reasonably new one wouldn't break the bank. Though probably bit spartan for some. Hilux reliability.
    An FJ Cruiser another I'd consider...though I know they're marmite...some love them, some hate.
    Nissan Super Safari has great reputation over there too.

They are pretty spartan alright, a step up from a crewcab. The FJ is cool but herself laughed me out of it when I suggested one so that won't work. Back to work as we speak so I will have to postpone until next weekend I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭wing52

Just another thought, are the pajero/shogun evos available out there? 3.5 v6 petrol,about 280 bhp i think.

Might be worth a look see?

wing52 wrote: »
    Just another thought, are the pajero/shogun evos available out there? 3.5 v6 petrol,about 280 bhp i think.

Might be worth a look see?

I've spent the month in a pajero and would be happy to do another month but I wouldn't have one long term. Crappy plastics, noisy and 90s esque spec. If I wanted an off road machine for heavy duty stuff, yes but this will be used 99% of the time on smooth paved highway as a daily driver. I only want the option of 4x4 for when we do go up the mountains and off the beaten track a bit. If I want to go dune bashing I can rent something easy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭cherrytaz

BMW X5 or X6 xDrive50i?

Based in the sandbox the past few years myself and bought an X5 earlier this year (3.0l X35i) and I love it. You're right though, there are awful stories of serious mechanical issues with them out here. Nothing so far thank god and hopefully it stays that way...inshallah

Costs about 170 AED (42 euro) to fill her up. Would love to know where you were quoted 200 euro for insurance? Minimum I got was 2000 AED and that's after 4 years of driving here no claims in the sandbox..

cherrytaz wrote: »
    Based in the sandbox the past few years myself and bought an X5 earlier this year (3.0l X35i) and I love it. You're right though, there are awful stories of serious mechanical issues with them out here. Nothing so far thank god and hopefully it stays that way...inshallah

Costs about 170 AED (42 euro) to fill her up. Would love to know where you were quoted 200 euro for insurance? Minimum I got was 2000 AED and that's after 4 years of driving here no claims in the sandbox..

I am dealing in OMR not AED.... different market! Going by what a colleague told me on the insurance but open to correction. Weekend has arrived Mashallah so I might hit the dealers tomorrow with patient and understanding wife in tow.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

wont somebody please think of the children?

greta-thunberg-1.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=618&h=410&crop=1

I just filled up my gas guzzler to the brim. 24 euro for 50 litres. How do I sleep at night?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I just filled up my gas guzzler to the brim. 24 euro for 50 litres. How do I sleep at night?

Christ! better than the E120 I put into mine the other day :rolleyes:

OK so the car hunt has been dead for the last couple of weeks. Bureaucracy with the bank meant I can't actually purchase until I have a cheque book which is on its way.

Anyway a local dealer is trying his best to find me something and offered me a 2012 Range Rover Sport Supercharged. We had a dirty daysul one back in the day, a 2007 Sport which was a ball of shíte as well as a 2017 Evoque currently on the family fleet which has had a penchant for numerous turbos. I'd be mad wouldn't I.....?! Talk sense to me please...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

RR Supercharged, Escalade or a G wagon (G500 or G55) would be the only things id be arsed considering. the jap stuff is too common there.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

OK so the car hunt has been dead for the last couple of weeks. Bureaucracy with the bank meant I can't actually purchase until I have a cheque book which is on its way.

Anyway a local dealer is trying his best to find me something and offered me a 2012 Range Rover Sport Supercharged. We had a dirty daysul one back in the day, a 2007 Sport which was a ball of shíte as well as a 2017 Evoque currently on the family fleet which has had a penchant for numerous turbos. I'd be mad wouldn't I.....?! Talk sense to me please...

Bank won't be too happy with clearing your balance on repairs...

Bank won't be too happy with clearing your balance on repairs...

You speak sense...

• Registered Users Posts: 51,147 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You will need deep pockets to keep one of them on the road no matter what country your in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,895 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Jeep Trackhawk on finance ;)

You will need deep pockets to keep one of them on the road no matter what country your in.

It isn't going to happen now, dealer wasn't up front with me on the price, way over the specific budget I had told him. I gave him a max price and he tells me he has this which turned out to be the equivalent of E5000 more than we were the max we were willing to spend.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Find a newer Range Rover with dead engine

Put a ls1 or 3uz or something in it

Here a sensible (Russian ? ) man put in a 2jz into a vogue

• Advertisement

gctest50 wrote: »
    Find a newer Range Rover with dead engine

Put a ls1 or 3uz or something in it

Here a sensible (Russian ? ) man put in a 2jz into a vogue

There are far more easier options available.

Advertisement