Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Latest cosmetic purchases and reviews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

I don’t have KP but my bf does, would this Relife moisturiser be enough? How often do you need to apply it and does it take long to dry? Also is it easy to source in shops/online?
    Sorry for the twenty questions I’ve just no idea what to get him and hoping for something low maintenance or he won’t bother with it.

I don't know the Relife stuff but this stuff is excellent for KP:

https://www.lookfantastic.com/ameliorate-transforming-body-lotion-200ml/11865352.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I don’t have KP but my bf does, would this Relife moisturiser be enough? How often do you need to apply it and does it take long to dry? Also is it easy to source in shops/online?
    Sorry for the twenty questions I’ve just no idea what to get him and hoping for something low maintenance or he won’t bother with it.

I can only say it's enough to treat mine! The lotion comes in a bottle with a pump and I use one pump per arm (maybe half a pump extra in the beginning when my skin was very dry) - it takes a few seconds to apply but drys in seconds. I'd struggle to put on a non-stretchy shirt for maybe 3 or 4 minutes after application, so I've got in to the habit of moisturising my body before sorting out my face and brushing my hair, giving the body that few minutes to dry.
    It's unscented and suitable for eczema.
    I use the cleansing oil in the shower too - just a drop or two mixed with the cleanser and/or whatever scented shower gel I'm using, and it works wonders to keep my skin hydrated and happier.
    I got it in an independent chemist in Ennis, Co Clare (Duffy's in Tesco SC) and the assistant remarked that there's some demand for it - it seems to have only launched earlier this year.

I was just thinking about your question again re KP - if your boyfriend needs something really quick to apply with no drying time, he could try glycolic acid - I've used the Aldi dupes of the Nip n Fab pads and liquid toner and both made a difference for me after a couple of applications. I think the general advice is to leave it to dry for 10 minutes before using body lotion but I had success with using the glycolic product in the morning and body lotion at night.
    Re how often to apply the Relife moisturiser, I used it daily or even twice daily for the first few days, and only need it once or twice a week now. It's made a massive difference to my skin, as I used to have very dry patches on my arms and elbows and very bad eczema on my hands from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Recliner

I'll be where there is a Sephora next week. I've been very good about not buying for a while but I'm very excited.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

^^Don't forget about the amazing Sephora returns policy. If something is lightly used you can get a full refund if you don't like it, or an exchange if you don't have the receipt/didn't give your email when paying originally.

I was travelling around the US on holidays recently, and bought a good few bits in one city. I had a chance to use them, and really didn't like 2 of the items. One was a Tarte concealer, the other was a Charlotte Tillbury lipstick. Both had been used a few times.
    I went to another store, in a different state, didn't even have the boxes/packaging or a receipt, and got a full refund for both. I was delighted.

I'd be far more inclined to buy more here if we had similar policies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Recliner wrote: »
    I'll be where there is a Sephora next week. I've been very good about not buying for a while but I'm very excited.
    Sign up for their points and put your DOB as being the month while you're away and you can get some little samples at the checkout. I never thought of that but I was spending a nice sum and the cashiers were so friendly I chanced by arm and got loads of samples, letting them know I was on holidays and the old Irish charm helped.

The Sephora favourites are worth a look at, as are the minis and gift sets.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

dee_mc wrote: »
    I've been using Relife cleansing oil and cleanser for months now and they are just fantastic. They do a moisturiser too but it's too rich to use on my face unless it's really dry and in bits (cleared up KP on my upper arms after two applications though, and I'd resigned myself to having that for life!). I use the oil and cleanser for a double cleanse when removing makeup or just the cleanser alone on no makeup days.

Do you have a link to this brand anywhere? I'd be very interested in trying it for KP but can't find anything about it online, even just to get a look at the packaging so I can keep an eye out for it.

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Sign up for their points and put your DOB as being the month while you're away and you can get some little samples at the checkout. I never thought of that but I was spending a nice sum and the cashiers were so friendly I chanced by arm and got loads of samples, letting them know I was on holidays and the old Irish charm helped.

The Sephora favourites are worth a look at, as are the minis and gift sets.

I like the sound of that. Last time I got loads of samples and little bags if I wanted to give them as presents.
    I kept them all for myself and I don't care how selfish that makes me. :-)
    Hoping to look at palletes I think and perfumes.

Twee. wrote: »
    Do you have a link to this brand anywhere? I'd be very interested in trying it for KP but can't find anything about it online, even just to get a look at the packaging so I can keep an eye out for it.

Found a few bits online.
    https://www.relifecompany.com/#/
    https://www.irishtimes.com/sponsored/relife/fabulous-pharmacist-gets-the-relife-treatment-1.3984891 (Looking at the lineup of 6 products in this article, the ones I've used are the second, third and fourth)

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MuffinTop86

dee_mc wrote: »
    I was just thinking about your question again re KP - if your boyfriend needs something really quick to apply with no drying time, he could try glycolic acid - I've used the Aldi dupes of the Nip n Fab pads and liquid toner and both made a difference for me after a couple of applications. I think the general advice is to leave it to dry for 10 minutes before using body lotion but I had success with using the glycolic product in the morning and body lotion at night.
    Re how often to apply the Relife moisturiser, I used it daily or even twice daily for the first few days, and only need it once or twice a week now. It's made a massive difference to my skin, as I used to have very dry patches on my arms and elbows and very bad eczema on my hands from time to time.

Thats brilliant thank you! I got the Ameliorate one straight after another poster mentioned it as there was a discount on lookfantasttic (love that site!) and couldn’t find Relife online. I’ll see how it goes. Glycolic acid seems to be key for KP from the limited research I’ve done so the Aldi ones would be ideal. I might get those for myself. Thank you so much for your help!

On topic, I ordered the new CT Starry Eyes To Hypnotise limited edition pallette cos I’m a slave to her eyeshadows and am generally useless at eye makeup but these work for me. It went on some 24 hour presale and hasn’t been online since.
    Oddly enough a discount code popped up at the top of the screen saying thanks for signing up, which is strange because I’ve bought from the site a few times and haven’t recently signed up. Popped it in and it worked! So 60 became 54 stg. Not bad given I paid 50 eur for two quads but I use them loads and love them.
    The alternative was 75 eur on the Europe site which is crazy, it drives me mad when sites aren’t using current conversion rates. So I don’t have it yet as I went through AddressPal but hopefully tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Girls ya know the Laura Mercier translucent powder - well what the frig is it supposed to do?
    I bought it and don't know if I'm using it right because I see no difference to makeup

Girls ya know the Laura Mercier translucent powder - well what the frig is it supposed to do?
    I bought it and don't know if I'm using it right because I see no difference to makeup

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

heldel00 wrote: »

How are you applying it? I prefer it with the sponge it comes with but have been using a fluffy brush recently as I dropped the sponge on the floor of a public bathroom and well.... gross. I bought the small size of the powder in Sephora in June and still going strong. I kinda regret it because I love it so much and it’s so expensive for the full size and I’m trying to save :o

It doesn’t do a whole lot in an obvious way but it just really adds a FAB ‘finish’ to my make up. Stops it looking overly cakey or heavy and gives a bit of a HD finish. Lovely product. Sits very nicely over the Laura mercier luminious silk foundation and the maybelline urban cover, doesn’t work well with double wear at all at all. I apply it at the very end of my make up routine just before setting spray.

Mine didn't come with a sponge. Just using a very fluffy powder brush.
    Adds nothing to my make up of note at all.

Have been using the IT Cosmetics CC cream for a few weeks now and I'm totally converted. I have spent years looking for a BB/CC cream that would cover my flaws yet by breathable and lightweight. It gives really good coverage, but doesn't feel at all heavy on the skin. Excellent lasting power too. I'd highly recommend it, its now my go-to for day time or casual makeup looks.
    Its a bit pricey but well worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭La_Gordy

SusieBlue wrote: »
    Have been using the IT Cosmetics CC cream for a few weeks now and I'm totally converted. I have spent years looking for a BB/CC cream that would cover my flaws yet by breathable and lightweight. It gives really good coverage, but doesn't feel at all heavy on the skin. Excellent lasting power too. I'd highly recommend it, its now my go-to for day time or casual makeup looks.

What type of skin do you have? I've wanted to give it a go for time!

La_Gordy wrote: »
    What type of skin do you have? I've wanted to give it a go for time!

I'd be on the dry side with some acne scarring and I'd still get the odd blemish. I find it covers any redness & unevenness really well. Its so lovely and comfortable! The shade range isn't huge which is a bit disappointing but I still managed to get a good colour match.
    You can buy the mini size online on the BT website for €15, its well worth a shot if you don't want to drop €39 on the full sized one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

I really like it but I use the oil free one (green bottle) as the original version seemed to just slide off my face after a few hours. If your skin is anyway oily, definitely go for the oil free version.

LizT wrote: »
    I really like it but I use the oil free one (green bottle) as the original version seemed to just slide off my face after a few hours. If your skin is anyway oily, definitely go for the oil free version.

I actually have the matte one now that you say it, I should have really specified above. Didn't like the original one when I swatched it on my hand at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

I actually have the matte one now that you say it, I should have really specified above. Didn't like the original one when I swatched it on my hand at all.

I’d say it’s fine if you have drier skin, I just found I was very oily by the end of the day and I’d need to use powder a few times. I find them similar in terms of coverage but the green bottle suits my skin better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I bought the smaller size in America over the summer but I've found myself reaching for the Maybelline version more.
    https://www.boots.ie/maybelline-dream-urban-cover-protective-makeup-10261975

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

I have the IT CC cream too but I find it a bit heavy, I'm reaching more for my Estee Lauder Double Wear Light.

Recliner wrote: »
    I like the sound of that. Last time I got loads of samples and little bags if I wanted to give them as presents.
    I kept them all for myself and I don't care how selfish that makes me. :-)
    Hoping to look at palletes I think and perfumes.

So got to Sephora. Forgot to sign up for the points, but I was actually disapointed when I got there. It's not a massive store (Portimao in Portugal). I think I'd built it up so much in my head that it was inevitable that the reality wouldn't match.
    Bought a Nina Ricci perfume, some Benefit minis and some Korean sheet masks. My OH bought a Prada aftershave. I had thought I might get a ABH pallete but nothing really caught my eye, and TBH it was pretty expensive in general.
    They were very stingy with the samples.
    By contrast we had a look at another make up/fragrance shop in the same place and I got a larger bottle of the same perfume with a free lip crayon for less than the price of the Sephora one. Also got a hair mask and my husband bought a large Hugo Boss aftershave. They had 25% off if you spent over €65 and they gave us loads of samples. They even made up samples of 2 other aftershaves that my husband was looking at.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭Icsics

I only buy in Sephora if there’s a sale on, otherwise I find it very expensive & the sales people pushy & condescending

Icsics wrote: »
    I only buy in Sephora if there’s a sale on, otherwise I find it very expensive & the sales people pushy & condescending

In general I do find the sales people in Portugal very full on, I'm assuming they work on comission, but I do find it very off putting.
    The second shop we went to was called Douglas and they were much more relaxed and friendlier. Seemed more interested in helping us rather than pushing to sell whatever they wanted us to buy.
    For example I like light perfumes, not heavy. And the Sephora reps kept spraying samples of Versace and Guerlain perfumes that were obviously much heavier/stronger than what I was looking for. It's so easy to get caught up in it all and get pressured into buying stuff you don't want. Like we spent over €200 in Sephora and I would have loved to have that money back to spend it in the other shop.
    Expensive lesson learned..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

Bought a few nail polishes last week from Nails Inc. Package arrived today and really looking forward to trying out all the colours (I'm a big fan of the Nails inc formulation, as it's quite opaque and self levels).

nailsinc_digital_groupshot.jpg?profile=Default

o2-01_1_.png?profile=Default

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MuffinTop86

^ lovely colours, I really like Nails Inc. they give away freebies with some of the monthly magazines too which is really handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Calmcookie84

Hi everyone,
    I need some advise. I’ll be starting work in an office on Monday. I have a very oily t zone so I need an oil free foundation with good staying power. Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭lashes34

I got the Stila CC cream in TK Maxx, its ok, very light coverage but I was looking for something light for work. So far so good and for €8.99 its not bad.

I got the Milani Prep Set Glow powder and I like it. Not heavy and has the slightest shimmer. Got it in the states but can probably be gotten online.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Hi everyone,
    I need some advise. I’ll be starting work in an office on Monday. I have a very oily t zone so I need an oil free foundation with good staying power. Any suggestions?

Have you tried the Catrice HD Foundation? I find it great, you'll need to team it with a good setting powder but it's pretty matte in my experience!

A makeup setting spray is also excellent for helping makeup last all day, I wouldn't recommend for every day but it's definitely worth using when you want makeup to last all day. I use Kat Von D setting spray and it's great, urban decay is also excellent.
    Make sure you have a good powder too, rimmel stay matte is good for a budget option!

Advertisement