Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best small car, brand new, budget about €13,000

Options
  • 20-09-2019 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭

Hi folks,

As above.

My ancient car is officially off the road as of this week. The CAT is apparently on its last legs and repair will cost me a lot more than it is actually worth.

I now need a 191 or 192 very small car - and have a very small budget (€13,000 or so, less is better). Size wise, all I need is something that will fit me, my handbag, the dog, some shopping and occasionally (very occasionally) another adult.

99% of the driving will be city based and annual mileage will be very low. I need a manual as I have two adult children who need to pass their tests in it.

I have been driving Toyotas for almost 25 years and loved them. But the Aygo is above the upper end of my budget. I need something that will have a good resale value, because as soon as the kids pass their test, I would like to trade it for an electric or possibly a hybrid.

Would anyone have any recommendations please?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,387 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Don’t spend anything near your budget. Then trade up.
    Spend €3k - €4K, for example - if they scratch it who cares?
    You also wont be walloped with depreciation as you will be on a 192.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Bigus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

+1 for suzuki ignis.
    I'd also agree with the poster saying don't spend your budget, c spend half and get a good car and enjoy the rest of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Gonad

Get yourself a Honda Jazz . Great little car . Here’s a hybrid for half your budget and never any issues

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/23022284

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Any Suzuki, Swift or Ignis. I think they're super cars for the money.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

Gonad wrote:
    Get yourself a Honda Jazz . Great little car . Here’s a hybrid for half your budget and never any issues

6k? Seems way overpriced to me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

ba_barabus wrote: »

Guy who does the motor segment on the last word, Michael sheridan I think is his name, is always singing their praises. I'm a big fan of the swift, bit of character to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Bicyclette wrote: »
    I now need a 191 or 192...

Why?

As above, save your money to put towards a hybrid or electric after the kids have passed their tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Gonad

tedpan wrote: »
    6k? Seems way overpriced to me

Possibly . I just posted first one that came up .They can shop around but the Jazz is a fabulous car .

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Yaris hybrid? 2nd hand of course.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

Dacia Sandero

€23 a week, brand new or €10,900 straight

https://www.dacia.ie/vehicles/sandero/offers.html

3 year/100,000km warranty

Depreciation is very low on them too

So low manufacturer has gmfv of €4,500 after 3 years, it will be higher guaranteed

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

ba_barabus wrote: »

I agree they’re very well priced with sound reliability. Interiors a bit low rent etc but for the money good little cars for those on a budget and just want transport

• Registered Users Posts: 73,387 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Yaris hybrid? 2nd hand of course.

OP specifically wants manual.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

colm_mcm wrote: »
    OP specifically wants manual.

Oh apologies I missed that.....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

road_high wrote: »
    I agree they’re very well priced with sound reliability. Interiors a bit low rent etc but for the money good little cars for those on a budget and just want transport
    To be fair the Swift is a fun car to drive no matter the engine choice. As regards the interior, I will say the infotainment is very good and works very well compared to more expensive competitors.

Lots of new and used choice with the Ignis and Swift.

Also worth checking out an i10 or Picanto.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,635 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

A second hand Fiat Punto or Renault Clio are both good cars too. Be madness to buy a new car with learner drivers driving it. Last thing you want to be doing is worrying about your car getting dents if its brand new and would also make them more nervous driving a new car incase something were to happen.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Advertisement