Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxed as a resident last year and a non resident this year

Options
  • 14-05-2015 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hey I switched jobs at the start of this year in Australia and my old employer was taxing me as a resident for tax purposes. And now my new employer is taxing me as a non resident for tax purposes although I ticked the resident for tax purposes on the form they supplied? They said they were advised to this as I'm on a 417 whv.
    Anybody know will I have any complications when doing my tax back etc at the end of the financial year. Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,079 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The box you tick is just there for the employer to estimate to how much tax to withhold from your pay. The second employer will presumably be withhold more.
    The good news is that the employer doesn't tax you, the money he withholds has no bearing on the actual tax you owe. After June, you'll collate all your earnings, and all tax paid and work out that the correct amount of tax is. If you meet the residence requirements, you'll be taxed as a resident on all your earnings.
    The good news is, that if the second employer was withholding more than he needed to then you'll get a bigger tax refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 James2016

Thanks mellor. 😄

Advertisement