Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Real Madrid vs Paris Saint-Germain, BT Sport 3, (k.o. 7.45)

13»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Ligue 1 is a huge drop off from Spain and a good bit lower than Germany. Likes of Bayern, Barca and Real are still playing better sides regularly than PSG are. Don't think there's ever been a Europa/UEFA cup winner from France, the depth has never been there.

And Rabiot has never started a competitive game for France. He's behind the likes of Kante, Tolisso, Pogba Matuidi in the reckoning there. No shame in that but he's far from standout. There's younger players breaking into that France line-up so it's not a case of Deschamps not trusting youth.

Verratti has been disappointing for me when I've seen him in knockout stages of Champions league and for Italy of late. People throw around the term world class far too easily these days. He needs to influence big games more heavily and not just be a standout player in a poor league.

Thats not what you said, you said playing in ligue 1 is a disadvantage due to intensity. But the exact same thing can be said about Barca/Bayern/Real in La Liga they steam roll teams constantly and not the relegation fodder they steam roll big teams
    Regardless of whether he started hes still in the squad most of the times and will go to the world cup, i never said he was a standout. You just listed the players that hes behind all at massive clubs, the young players arent breaking into the midfield
    Maybe for you Verratti has, but for the majority it hasnt been the case and is considered world class by most so you are defo in the minority regarding him
    And Marseille won a little european cup in 93 and finalists in 91, maybe you are a bit young to remember and Monaco were in the finals against Mourinhos Porto

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

irishman86 wrote: »
    Thats not what you said, you said playing in ligue 1 is a disadvantage due to intensity. But the exact same thing can be said about Barca/Bayern/Real in La Liga they steam roll teams constantly and not the relegation fodder they steam roll big teams
    Regardless of whether he started hes still in the squad most of the times and will go to the world cup, i never said he was a standout. You just listed the players that hes behind all at massive clubs, the young players arent breaking into the midfield
    Maybe for you Verratti has, but for the majority it hasnt been the case and is considered world class by most so you are defo in the minority regarding him
    And Marseille won a little european cup in 93 and finalists in 91, maybe you are a bit young to remember and Monaco were in the finals against Mourinhos Porto

I think he was talking about the secondary competition (UEFA/Europa) to highlight that France have never had multiple strong clubs at any one point. It tends to be one of Marseille, PSG, Lyon, Monaco etc, but they're rarely strong at the same time. In the past the UEFA Cup was really competitive when 2nd place in every league qualified for it, and France didn't have much to offer that competition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

fyfe79 wrote: »
    I think he was talking about the secondary competition (UEFA/Europa) to highlight that France have never had multiple strong clubs at any one point. It tends to be one of Marseille, PSG, Lyon, Monaco etc, but they're rarely strong at the same time. In the past the UEFA Cup was really competitive when 2nd place in every league qualified for it, and France didn't have much to offer that competition.
    You do have a point and it's dropped off since, but between 1995-04 France had three UEFA Cup finalists (Bordeaux 96/97, Marseille 98/99, Marseille 03/04), and in 2003/04 they had finalists in both competitions (the other being Monaco in the CL).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

fyfe79 wrote: »

You are right i think
    Regardless last season Monaco made the s/f and PSG lost due to terrible decisions by refs/management/everyone involved :pac:

Germanys last Uefa cup winner was 97 for example. So its not really relevant when the big teams play in the CL anymore
    In the last ten years in France there has been 7 different winners(3 in the last 6)
    In Italy three different winners
    In Spain 3 different winners
    In Germany 4 different winners
    In England 4
    In Holland 5
    In Scotland & Portugal 2
    Just looking at these very basic stats France has a far more competitive league than most
    I used 3 in the last six as thats when the money rolled in but they still only have 50% of the titles just like Barcelona Juve have 100% for example, so i dont agree PSG have it easier than any other super club

Advertisement