Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Real Madrid vs Paris Saint-Germain, BT Sport 3, (k.o. 7.45)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭Rezident

ERG89 wrote: »
    What's more pathetic?
    That dive or Hoddle mistaking Modric for Isco?

The dive, at least Hoddle isn't cheating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

There's been diving from Madrid as well.

https://twitter.com/StrikaNation24_/status/963881697354960896

No booking for Kroos here. Notice the way the leg swings out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Hopefully that'll knock some sense into the ref

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

What a baby. Carry on with the game

Approaching the final ten minutes. Still quite open.

Rage quit after that.

Ronaldo makes it 2-1. Big goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Taking off Cavani looks silly now....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,557 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

They kneeded that

I’ll get my coat :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Surely he fouled Kimpempe in the buildup?

Emery has taken off Lo Celso for Draxler. Not sure how wise that is. Still another 90 minutes to come in Paris and he's taking a big gamble for only a few minutes left in this tie.

Update: 3-1! PSG in danger of squandering their work in the first 80 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

What a beautiful man, inspiring.

Surely he fouled Kimpempe in the buildup?

Thought it was a dive and he was miles away

Jaysus goal! Marcelo!

astradave wrote: »
    Thought it was a dive and he was miles away

Jaysus goal! Marcelo!

Need to see a replay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Urindanger

Asensio is too good to be on Madrid's bench.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭rekluse

Ronnie is finished 😜

Mbappe put in a cross there and only Verratti was in the box. Not gonna get goals like that. Dunno why he took off Cavani when he did.

Need to see a replay.

Looking at the replay over on r/soccer and he didn’t appeal for a free or anything, didn’t give out after the goal was scored either

Looking at the replay over on r/soccer and he didn’t appeal for a free or anything, didn’t give out after the goal was scored either

Just seen it - he should have. Clearly caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Love watching Marcelo. That pass to put in Ronaldo in the first half :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,626 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Have to say Mbappe was really poor, gave the ball away so many times.

All over. Very good game. It was open going into the final ten minutes but Madrid stepped up and Asensio made a big difference when he came on. I was impressed with Marcelo's display and Ronaldo showed he's got plenty left in the tank.

I think PSG will look back on this with a lot of 'what ifs'. Shot themselves in the foot with conceding the penalty and could have been more clinical with the chances that fell their way. Neymar looked to me like he was trying to do too much himself. Don't get Emery's tactic of taking off Cavani with the game finely poised and then weakening his defence by taking off Lo Celso for Draxler when the game was still at 2-1 and there's another tie to come.

The game in Paris should be another cracker. I don't write off PSG but that last goal was huge. I'd say it's about 70-30 in Madrid's favour now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

Asensio is the real deal. One of the best players around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,997 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

justshane wrote: »
    Asensio is the real deal. One of the best players around.

Better than Bale, thats for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

I think PSG will look back on this with a lot of 'what ifs'.

Define a case of deja vu for them. In recent years so many times they are fancied in Europe & crash out.
    Emery fu*ked up big time again by taking off Cavani who works hard. The weird part was when I was watching they always look dangerous attacking but made many mistakes in the final 3rd

PSG up front are 3 individuals....you always get impression they are out for themselves.
    There were times Neymar could have played in MBappe but didn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,886 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Party in Neymar's gaf tonight for all that played on both sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,073 ✭✭✭Xenophile

How many goals in Champions League Football has Ronaldo Scored.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Emery also identified Diarra as the one to go for in the January window to bolster their DM issues. It seems he had cold feet about trusting him for this tie following his poor performance at the weekend against Toulouse. If he doesn't play him in the second leg then his signing was a waste.

Just looking back on the second goal and it does seem like Kimpembe was fouled and yet he makes no appeal to the ref. Needs to work on that for when VAR comes in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Xenophile wrote: »
    How many goals in Champions League Football has Ronaldo Scored.

• Advertisement

Cracking match going by the RTE highlights. Far from over I feel with all those chances for PSG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,814 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

They kneeded that

I’ll get my coat :D

Areola looked a right tit for that third goal

I’ll get mine too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Isn't that just for RM?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Isn't that just for RM?

Yes just for Real.

It is 117 for Sporting, Real and Man Utd.

Some record!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Its such a pity defenders dont really get the World player of the year award
    Marcelo is amazing in every way

All over. Very good game. It was open going into the final ten minutes but Madrid stepped up and Asensio made a big difference when he came on. I was impressed with Marcelo's display and Ronaldo showed he's got plenty left in the tank.

I think PSG will look back on this with a lot of 'what ifs'. Shot themselves in the foot with conceding the penalty and could have been more clinical with the chances that fell their way. Neymar looked to me like he was trying to do too much himself. Don't get Emery's tactic of taking off Cavani with the game finely poised and then weakening his defence by taking off Lo Celso for Draxler when the game was still at 2-1 and there's another tie to come.

The game in Paris should be another cracker. I don't write off PSG but that last goal was huge. I'd say it's about 70-30 in Madrid's favour now.
    Would you give me those odds for a bet? :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

That was one fantastic game to watch. The skill level and tempo were unreal. Anyone thinking 'ah once we're in the last 8 anything could happen' should watch that game. Thats the level you have to bring to the table and it may not be enough. :eek:

I still don't know how Real got themselves out of that hole.

That was one fantastic game to watch. The skill level and tempo were unreal. Anyone thinking 'ah once we're in the last 8 anything could happen' should watch that game. Thats the level you have to bring to the table and it may not be enough. :eek:

I still don't know how Real got themselves out of that hole.

I think PSG helped a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

irishman86 wrote: »
    Its such a pity defenders dont really get the World player of the year award
    Marcelo is amazing in every way
    I wasn't a big fan of his at all earlier in his career, great going forward but feck all defending but he's really rounded out his game over this decade and has incredible for the last few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I expected so much more form PSG, in part they were architects in their own down fall in Emery taking off Cavani that early and leaving Alves on for 90mins was a brave and flawed call too.

I think the penalty is as soft as you'll see and it was early in the game where Kroos should have been booked for one of the worst dives you'll see, I think he played the ref, he was waiting for an touch and no hand on the shoulder should result in his fall but in Europe, with these refs, you're more than likely going to get those calls.

Ronaldos penalty was good, got serious power and decent direction, was passed Areloa before his hands were out, the 2nd and 3rd goals are just shambolic, theres arguments for a Ronaldo foul in the build up, CB made nothing of it and you acnt do much if the ball lands on the ultimate predator in the box, Rabiot, was good but lost MArcelo in the build up to the 3rd, shot into the ground and deflection of the CB and Real look like theyve battered PSG here.

PSG should have scored a second, they wasted 2 good chances from Mbappe and Neymar with the last kick off the game.

Its all down to PSG now but again, I think theres something just not right with the team, ?I dont know if its the balance or the coach or both but its going to take some effort to keep Madrid from scoring in Paris and getting at least the 2 goals they need to go through.

You have to hand it too Madrid, they find a way to put indifferent league form behind them on European nights.

Whatever about the rest of PSG I thought Mbappe was particularly bad with little to no impact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Whatever about the rest of PSG I thought Mbappe was particularly bad with little to no impact.

Ya, there was a few passengers in the team, the LB was nowhere to be seen all game, Mbappe and Lo Celso.

I would have brought on Di Maria for the last 15mins, Alves was knackered on the right flank and it gave Asensio the freedom to attack Meunier one on one down their and the 2nd & 3rd goals came from that.

I like Emery but I think hes pretty naive and not hte manager to bring them European success, TBF, with a bit of luck, theyed have got a 1-1 last night and it would have been a good result but Real seem to have all the luck in the world in this competition. :o

Agreed. I still think the 2nd leg in Paris will be good. You never know what you'll get with Madrid these days and PSG obviously need goals.

Playing in Ligue 1 will always have them at a disadvantage for the intensity of Champions league knockout stages. They just don't come across that level of side very often and don't need to raise their game to the next level to win games in France, it's far from ideal imo.

That and their midfield is average enough at this stage of the competition. Rabiot doesn't get near many French squads, Motta is old, dury still out on Lo Celso. Verratti clearly very good but probably hasn't progressed to world class level many thought he would.

Billy86 wrote: »
    I wasn't a big fan of his at all earlier in his career, great going forward but feck all defending but he's really rounded out his game over this decade and has incredible for the last few years.

100% as a 18 year old he had everything going forward but he really is a perfect all around player now
    I cant think of a lb or even wing back close to him

• Advertisement

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Playing in Ligue 1 will always have them at a disadvantage for the intensity of Champions league knockout stages. They just don't come across that level of side very often and don't need to raise their game to the next level to win games in France, it's far from ideal imo.

That and their midfield is average enough at this stage of the competition. Rabiot doesn't get near many French squads, Motta is old, dury still out on Lo Celso. Verratti clearly very good but probably hasn't progressed to world class level many thought he would.

You can say the same thing about Bayern and they dont do to bad
    I think using the league strength is a incorrect argument since Monaco arent a push over you know the reigning champions of France
    Honestly its similar to Spain where Barca reign supreme with Atletico/Real winning a title every now and then
    Rabiot has played four games in 2017 for France thats impressive for a 22 year old when you look at the strength of Frances midfield and Verratti most certainly is world class
    Have a look at the midfields currently at this stage and PSG are higher than most. They lost to a midfield today of Kroos/Modric who havent been great this season till the last month but they are both in the top 4/5 in the world for cm
    Rabiot infact was the standout for PSG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

100% as a 18 year old he had everything going forward but he really is a perfect all around player now
    I cant think of a lb or even wing back close to him

I reckon he's the best there's been since Lahm switched to midfield (a move I still hate).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Mbappe is a child. He will have those games and he may never even reach the heights that transfer fee dictates. He should be the icing on the cake in a good big game performance, with the experienced guys being the bulk of a good performance.

You can say the same thing about Bayern and they dont do to bad
    I think using the league strength is a incorrect argument since Monaco arent a push over you know the reigning champions of France
    Honestly its similar to Spain where Barca reign supreme with Atletico/Real winning a title every now and then
    Rabiot has played four games in 2017 for France thats impressive for a 22 year old when you look at the strength of Frances midfield and Verratti most certainly is world class
    Have a look at the midfields currently at this stage and PSG are higher than most. They lost to a midfield today of Kroos/Modric who havent been great this season till the last month but they are both in the top 4/5 in the world for cm
    Rabiot infact was the standout for PSG

Ligue 1 is a huge drop off from Spain and a good bit lower than Germany. Likes of Bayern, Barca and Real are still playing better sides regularly than PSG are. Don't think there's ever been a Europa/UEFA cup winner from France, the depth has never been there.

And Rabiot has never started a competitive game for France. He's behind the likes of Kante, Tolisso, Pogba Matuidi in the reckoning there. No shame in that but he's far from standout. There's younger players breaking into that France line-up so it's not a case of Deschamps not trusting youth.

Verratti has been disappointing for me when I've seen him in knockout stages of Champions league and for Italy of late. People throw around the term world class far too easily these days. He needs to influence big games more heavily and not just be a standout player in a poor league.

I don't think Ligue 1 is a huge drop off from Bundesliga. PSG comprehensively beat Munich a few months ago in Paris and Monaco last season reached the last four of the Champions League, eliminating Dortmund in the quarter-finals. France are producing a conveyor belt of talent right now and the fact PSG haven't capitalised on it is really a failure of their transfer policy. Kante was plying his trade at Caen before Leicester bought him; Tolisso at Lyon before Bayern bought him. Even this season Tanguy Ndombele started the season in explosive fashion at Amiens but it was Lyon that went for him. Having to make a panic buy of Lass Diarra who was released by Marseille last season after poor performances sums up their issues. Ligue 1 not being competitive enough this season is really a problem across most of the top leagues.

PSG right now are 12 points clear of Monaco and have lost two games.

Bayern are 18 points clear of Leipzig and have lost two games.

Man City are 16 points clear of United and have lost one game.

I think what we're seeing occur is tiers being established within leagues. The argument has been that the Premier League is more competitive because of the distribution of wealth but City are still operating in a different stratosphere. The weekend result highlighted that: Leicester City - the Premier League's only representative in the Champions League quarter-finals last season - spanked 5-1 by City.

• Advertisement
Advertisement