Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018 (MOD NOTE: POST #2805)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,586 ✭✭✭brevity

_______Karius__________

Milner_Matip_VVD_Robertson

______Winaldum

____________ __Ox/Can

________henderson/Can________

__Salah___Fun Bobby_____Mane___

It's annoying that our midfielders are all quite similar in their strengths and weaknesses. Keeping Henderson further forward is a priority though IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭JB81

I don't think we will beat Tottenham on Sunday,
    However I do think we will make 4th place by the end of the season.
    I think we will beat Porto, and admirably bow out of the CL at Quarters

All in all, I would take that for this season, and hope Klopp has more than just Keita up his sleeve for next season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

JB81 wrote: »
    I don't think we will beat Tottenham on Sunday,
    However I do think we will make 4th place by the end of the season.
    I think we will beat Porto, and admirably bow out of the CL at Quarters

All in all, I would take that for this season, and hope Klopp has more than just Keita up his sleeve for next season

A kind draw could see a semi final appearance, then it's all to play for

Grayditch wrote: »
    I like your suggestion because it makes sense but it's because Lovren had balls chipped over and all around him last time, Klopp will most likely see this is a great opportunity to start him for his confidence.

This is exactly what klopp will do,
    And I reckon Moreno starts as well

A kind draw could see a semi final appearance, then it's all to play for

The only draw I could see us getting through from would be Roma / Shakhtar.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

I'd keep the team the same as v Huddersfield. Thought the midfield 3 worked well. Strength, grit, kept going for the full 90.
    If Klopp puts Moreno in the team he's dead to me.

Edit: Forgot about VVD not playing! I'd have him him instead of Lovren alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

WHERE'S THE COUTINHO MONEY

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    I'd keep the team the same as v Huddersfield. Thought the midfield 3 worked well. Strength, grit, kept going for the full 90.

I'd have Wij or Ox in instead of Milner. Robertson needs to keep his place in the team.
    VVD instead of Matip as well. There's a bit too much confusion when Matip is in our box, I think he's afraid to give away pens or something.

I read something from Klopp earlier how he was saying that he didn't want to buy someone that is not 100% for us right now. He'd rather wait until the right player is available, so I'm sure the money is still there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I read something from Klopp earlier how he was saying that he didn't want to buy someone that is not 100% for us right now. He'd rather wait until the right player is available, so I'm sure the money is still there.

He didn't want to spend "crazy money" apparently. In my opinion when you've just made £100m+ in the 2nd biggest transfer deal of all time that you had 6 months to prepare for, you should be getting a deal done.

The money we could have spent on replacing Coutinho can't have been any crazier than the money we got for him. This pervasive narrative - that it would have been a 'panic buy' - needs to f*ck off. We had the time and the means to improve the squad in that area and chose not to.

• Advertisement

Nerdlingr wrote: »

Edit: Forgot about VVD not playing! I'd have him him instead of Lovren alright.

I'm pretty sure you will see Moreno.

I would say:

Karius, Gomez, Van Dijk, Lovren, Moreno, Henderson, Can, Ox, Firmino, Mane, Salah

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Clyne could be back at the end of the month. We could actually have a decent defence in March.

If he was available for selection at the start of march, very little chance he'll start a game before April I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

I'd be starting wijnaldum over can or milner.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Sappy404 wrote: »
    He didn't want to spend "crazy money" apparently. In my opinion when you've just made £100m+ in the 2nd biggest transfer deal of all time that you had 6 months to prepare for, you should be getting a deal done.

The money we could have spent on replacing Coutinho can't have been any crazier than the money we got for him. This pervasive narrative - that it would have been a 'panic buy' - needs to f*ck off. We had the time and the means to improve the squad in that area and chose not to.

Well, if rumours are true, the way the price of Mahrez developed over the transfer window is insane. Also, the numbers following Lemar tended to spike a bit as well.

I'm not one to normally talk money, but there is some form there for the prices going mental.
    I think even with Sanchez, things got a bit out of hand and City stepped back.

So if all that's true, then Klopp may have a point.

But you're right, we new Coutinho was going and had 6 months to prep for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

tumblr_lyxp9yzYrD1qztjn5o1_r1_500.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,886 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Neither Mahrez or Lemar are worth anywhere near the £90m their clubs wanted for them and Liverpool were right not to pay that kind of money on them even City said no at that price for Mahrez.

Coutinho at a £140m was crazy money and has skewed the marketplace completely Barca couldn't even afford that price alone needed Nike to back them and Coutinho to pay £10m as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,634 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

9ada2d5ff2708a59336a7764b61f9cb0356f39e14064f23369a80d34974a74c6.jpg

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Clyne, VVD and ings added to the CL squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Well, if rumours are true, the way the price of Mahrez developed over the transfer window is insane. Also, the numbers following Lemar tended to spike a bit as well.

I'm not one to normally talk money, but there is some form there for the prices going mental.
    I think even with Sanchez, things got a bit out of hand and City stepped back.

So if all that's true, then Klopp may have a point.

Yeah I've seen people pointing at the Mahrez situation as an example of what it would have gone like for us. But really, that was with what, 2 days left in the window? City looked at him following Sane's injury last weekend. Leicester had no time for a replacement.

But look at Spurs' pursuit of Lucas Moura - a younger player of ostensibly higher standing in terms of ability, trophies won, experience in the CL etc, and they got him for a song. Why? He was surplus to requirements at his club and Spurs took weeks to get a deal done. Now there's an argument that these are both extreme examples and a team like Liverpool with all the money in the world wading into the market with a clear need for an attacker will probably have their pants pulled down to a degree, but you can't say it would have gone like the Mahrez deal and ignore the Moura deal completely.

Good players were available at reasonable prices and the squad is significantly weaker and it's only because of our lack of interest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,700 ✭✭✭54and56

JB81 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure you will see Moreno.

I would say:

Karius, Gomez, Van Dijk, Lovren, Moreno, Henderson, Can, Ox, Firmino, Mane, Salah

I'll be depressed if Moreno starts ahead of Robertson.

Which is why the Ox was purchased and Key8a is arriving in the summer.

Isn't it actually good management to have your replacement in place and bedding in before the departing player leaves?

Edit: Sorry, it's much better to see the negative side as it gives us all something to continuously whinge about.

Can't believe the Coutinho money wasn't spent immediately on a replacement :eek:

• Advertisement

Yeah I've seen people pointing at the Mahrez situation as an example of what it would have gone like for us. But really, that was with what, 2 days left in the window? City looked at him following Sane's injury last weekend. Leicester had no time for a replacement.

But look at Spurs' pursuit of Lucas Moura - a younger player of ostensibly higher standing in terms of ability, trophies won, experience in the CL etc, and they got him for a song. Why? He was surplus to requirements at his club and Spurs took weeks to get a deal done. Now there's an argument that these are both extreme examples and a team like Liverpool with all the money in the world wading into the market with a clear need for an attacker will probably have their pants pulled down to a degree, but you can't say it would have gone like the Mahrez deal and ignore the Moura deal completely.

Good players were available at reasonable prices and the squad is significantly weaker and it's only because of our lack of interest.

Moura is a great player and I would have loved for us to in the past and have stated it here plenty of times.

The question you have to ask if we signed him now is where would he play?

Do you move Salah who is in the form of his life right now on the right wing the position Moura plays we haven't moved Salah for a reason to let Mane have a run there.

Mane on the right wing is a better option for us than Moura as well and Mane offers more on the left wing than Moura as well even with his form off right now.

Would Moura have moved to us to be a squad player like he is at PSG I doubt it to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Maybe we shouldn't have sold a player we couldn't replace......its all excuses at this point....

Maybe we should get new owners and manager who do what the fans on the internet want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Wasn't impressed with Moura when I saw him a few times last year.

Possibly lacking confidence at the time but he wouldn't take on his full back & if he isn't doing that not much else to his game.

Maybe we should get new owners and manager who do what the fans on the internet want.

There you go again :rolleyes:

Criticism does not equal wanting people gone. There was no sense in selling Coutinho in Jan. If we couldn't replace its an even more strange move. IMO of course.

Then we'd be Barcelona and have Suarez, Messi and some lad called Coutinho in our team - yipeeeee :D (or possibly Saffron Walden Town F.C. :o )

NukaCola wrote: »
    Maybe we shouldn't have sold a player we couldn't replace......its all excuses at this point....

Maybe we replaced a player before we sold him.......it's all whinging at this point.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

We've only lost 1 of the last 11 meetings with Spurs. They are usually another 3pts just like City always are. I expect an easy victory as usual.
    4-2 Liverpool

Maybe we replaced a player before we sold him.......it's all whinging at this point.....

How is suggesting that we dont sell our best player, or for the sake of argument one of our best players, without an adequate replacement whinging? Seems like common sense to me.

I dont agree that Keita and Ox are his replacements btw because we still need someone in the front three and Ox just isn't that player IMO. Who knows, we'll see I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I'm not asking for much I just want to smash Spurs to a degree that the demoralising loss carries with them in their psyche for the rest of the season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Bang on the money here imo. It's crazy how people are prepared to gobble down the narrative about Klopp only wanting the perfect fit. It's a far too restrictive transfer strategy and could yet torpedo our season and even the work we did last year by getting in the CL, if we miss out this year it's back to square one. A quality replacement for Coutinho should've been lined up since the summer if they knew he was going, it's just needless leaving ourselves so thin on numbers for the rest of the season with plenty to play for by selling such an important player, we're playing Russian roulette with the season. Hopefully we get away with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Earning about 1,445 pound a year n intrest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

(/\ I hope they are not buying bitcoins with the money!)

Not sure many of us think Klopp is right at all in this regard. It's no good attacking the club as some will if the manager is so wedded to his approach that he wont even buy a good "second choice" player.

It's crazy how people are prepared to gobble down the narrative about Klopp only wanting the perfect fit.

Wanting the perfect fit is great in theory, but if you cant be adaptable in terms of transfers then you should be open to criticism. Top targets aren't always attainable. Its hard to take the perfect fit thing seriously while you simultaneously play Karius as number 1, Moreno left back, Lovren at CB, Henderson as a DM, having Solanke and Ings as backups etc etc

Personally I think we sold Coutinho for mega money and couldn't get a deal done that wasn't equally crazy and thats that.

Not sure many of us think Klopp is right at all in this regard. It's no good attacking the club as some will if the manager is so wedded to his approach that he wont even buy a good "second choice" player.

I think if there is one thing we can be sure of, its that if Klopp wants a player, then FSG will bankroll it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭shamrock55

I have confidence in klopp signing one top class player every 2nd window,so in about 8 years we should have a team capable of challenging for the LGE,problem is bobby, mo, and sadio will be long gone by then so we'll have have to replace them by which time 4 of the 8 top class players we signed in those last 8 years will be gone so it'll be another 4 years before they are replaced,by which time the next 4 will be gone so that's another 4 yes to replace them,the lads we got in to replace mo,sadio and bobby are coming to an end now too so that's another 3 yrs.
    I think I'll be dead by the time we get a team together to challenge the way klopp goes about signing players

Wanting the perfect fit is great in theory, but if you cant be adaptable in terms of transfers then you should be open to criticism. Top targets aren't always attainable. Its hard to take the perfect fit thing seriously while you simultaneously play Karius as number 1, Moreno left back, Lovren at CB, Henderson as a DM, having Solanke and Ings as backups etc etc

Personally I think we sold Coutinho for mega money and couldn't get a deal done that wasn't equally crazy and thats that.

Serious whiff of well Klopp knows best so we have no right to criticise/moan/whinge about our dealings from some folk in here, the man is not infallible.

Coutinho was never our best player on any consistent form in one way or another he was our most talented player but he never showed that for more than a handful of games in a row.

I'm pretty sure we lost and drew plenty of games against teams we should have beaten with Coutinho in the team to unlock their packed defences.

Last season Mane and Wijnaldum were our best and most consistent players this season it has been Salah and Fun Bobby.

Would I rather he stayed of course but you don't turn down that kind of money for a player who goes on strike twice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

Would I rather he stayed of course but you don't turn down that kind of money for a player who goes on strike twice.

Didn't realise he went on strike

• Advertisement

shamrock55 wrote: »
    I have confidence in klopp signing one top class player every 2nd window,so in about 8 years we should have a team capable of challenging for the LGE,problem is bobby, mo, and sadio will be long gone by then so we'll have have to replace them by which time 4 of the 8 top class players we signed in those last 8 years will be gone so it'll be another 4 years before they are replaced,by which time the next 4 will be gone so that's another 4 yes to replace them,the lads we got in to replace mo,sadio and bobby are coming to an end now too so that's another 3 yrs.
    I think I'll be dead by the time we get a team together to challenge the way klopp goes about signing players

I reckon in approx 32 years we might have the right squad in place:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

shamrock55 wrote: »

It's lucky that Klopp is ahead of schedule then! Salah, VVD and Keita in one year :) Add a proper keeper and a second central midfielder as the big buys in the summer with cover for the front line and that really should be that.

The way I look at is Klopp probably already has his good "second choices" at the club already and is waiting to get his good first choices.

I thought Coutinho was the best in the world!

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Serious whiff of well Klopp knows best so we have no right to criticise/moan/whinge about our dealings from some folk in here, the man is not infallible.

Who would you like as manager?

I'm unhappy that we have a thin squad again, but I don't pretend to know better than someone I want in charge, who is in charge.

He has money to spend, for sure, but it is not infinite money. If we miss out on CL next season it will be a blow and Klopp may rue some of his decisions. I can't predict how the future goes or know if there are reasons other than the ones Klopp already gave for not buying. He I not infallible, or else we'd have a 100% record, but he is the man I want in the Liverpool manager role.

He may have 150m to spend, but want to buy 3 top class players. If he spent 90m on Lemar he may well not be able to get all 3 players he wants. That may not be the case, but when he is talking about spending more than we have to while still having a good bit to spend, it is possible something like that is at play. I'm guessing though obviously, bit given that we are not one of the Manchester clubs in terms of our budget, not an unreasonable guess.

5starpool wrote: »
    Who would you like as manager?

I'm unhappy that we have a thin squad again, but I don't pretend to know better than someone I want in charge, who is in charge.

He has money to spend, for sure, but it is not infinite money. If we miss out on CL next season it will be a blow and Klopp may rue some of his decisions. I can't predict how the future goes or know if there are reasons other than the ones Klopp already gave for not buying. He I not infallible, or else we'd have a 100% record, but he is the man I want in the Liverpool manager role.

He may have 150m to spend, but want to buy 3 top class players. If he spent 90m on Lemar he may well not be able to get all 3 players he wants. That may not be the case, but when he is talking about spending more than we have to while still having a good bit to spend, it is possible something like that is at play. I'm guessing though obviously, bit given that we are not one of the Manchester clubs in terms of our budget, not an unreasonable guess.

Come on man!

I want Klopp as manager 100% behind him, I can't see where we'd go after him. I don't claim to know better either btw, that's a silly argument.

Does not mean everything he does is perfect though, that's all I'm saying that if you criticise him in any tiny way then you have numpties saying that people want him sacked, not true at all.

His transfer policy is frustrating, it's easy from the sidelines obviously, I think most accept we're short on numbers and selling Coutinho mid way through a season is annoying/stupid, we should have replacements lined up but we didn't.

• Advertisement

How is suggesting that we dont sell our best player, or for the sake of argument one of our best players, without an adequate replacement whinging? Seems like common sense to me.

I dont agree that Keita and Ox are his replacements btw because we still need someone in the front three and Ox just isn't that player IMO. Who knows, we'll see I guess.

I get your POV but my opinion is that whilst Klopp inherited Coutinho and used his talent to the max he actually would never buy such a player as he values high energy, constant high line pressing (a la Man City game), direct play and interchangeability over the sort of individual talent Coutinho has hence Ox was recruited for huge money (relatively speaking) and lots of people were scratching their heads as to where he'd fit in.

IMO the Ox is slotting into a re-shaped (post Coutinho) midfield 3 to which Key8A will also be added in the summer (and would have been added last summer or over Xmas if Leipzig would agree to release him) and going forward it'll be a highly dynamic 4-3-3 shape rather than the 4-2-1-3 it tended to become with Coutinho play nominally on the left but predominantly at the tip of MF in a more classic #10 type role.

If (and WTF do I know) I'm right Klopp is never ever going to replace Coutinho with a similar player regardless of available cash etc as he want Ox and similar type players in his midfield 3.

Klopp putting him back in his box.
    Klopp on Jamie Carragher comments on VVD: "I'm sure that Jamie needs to lose a bit of weight. It's not an issue."

https://twitter.com/JamesPearceEcho/status/959414128883458048

I think most accept we're short on numbers and selling Coutinho mid way through a season is annoying/stupid, we should have replacements lined up but we didn't.

Don't you think it's even possible that Ox is Coutinho's replacement for the reasons I stated in my last post above?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭rgace

Klopp said they did everything they could to persuade Coutinho to stay.
    If he had already been replaced and Klopp was happy with his squad they would not have tried to keep him surely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

If Ings is fit then give him a chance. Put Firmino back where he was in Germany, where he made his name. We need a player like him in midfield

________Henderson_______

_____Firmino___Ox________

Salah_____________Mane__
    _________Ings____________

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement