Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Louise O'Neill on manned mission to Mars: "Why not go to Venus?" (MOD Warning post 1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Ireland has a murder culture? What the heck are you even on about?
    Murder occurs here, therefore we have a murder culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Ireland has a murder culture? What the heck are you even on about?

I was just making a funny (debatable)

They’re the ones you’d have to watch out for , the creepy male ‘feminist’.... never trust a fella who claims that ....

She’s essentially Katie Hopkins on the opposite end of the spectrum (LON is more extreme left) ... but she’s not as smart (articles are poorly written and opinions and tweets are like a rambling transition year student) and very hypocritical in her opinions

Actually, what I find mostly is that it is the men who claim to be anti-feminist or else say that they hate her comments that share them the most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭OnDraught

GMSA wrote: »
    Dangerous talk going on there by her. Expressing an intent to murder somebody on social media and inciting others to help. Hope nothing bad happens to the man in question or she could have An Garda Siochana at her door.

Jesus Christ.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭TheDavester

They’re the ones you’d have to watch out for , the creepy male ‘feminist’.... never trust a fella who claims that ....

She’s essentially Katie Hopkins on the opposite end of the spectrum (LON is more extreme left) ... but she’s not as smart (articles are poorly written and opinions and tweets are like a rambling transition year student) and very hypocritical in her opinions

Actually, what I find mostly is that it is the men who claim to be anti-feminist or else say that they hate her comments that share them the most.
    She and her 3rd wave buddy’s like Mullally seem to get a free pass to spout their misandry where as if a man wrote on about hating women wouldn’t see the light of day .... equality goes both ways LOn/Mullally and friends

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

The Examiner has a readership of close to 250,000.
    Her show on RTE got a prime time slot AFAIR.
    If all she had was a 1,000 followers on twitter I'd agree with the "ignore her and she'll go away" strategy.
    But she's a bit bigger than that at this stage.

Chances are we all have national media journalists we don’t like and don’t agree with. I don’t like some (and LON would be one of them) so I just don’t read their output. Avoid the ones that aren’t your cup of cha. It’s easy peasy. So some people like her and agree with her. So? National figures always have loads of Twitter followers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I'm not a fan of many of the sensationalised comments and tweets Louise O'Neill makes but thats what sells papers and books.

There is without doubt a gender pay gap and its quite a complex issue. There is plenty of academic research on the topic.

Certainly I've been fortunate enough that the companies I have worked for have rated very highly on the equality scale when employees are surveyed however some companies and even industries can't say the same. Take it to an international level and some countries are blatantly open about the level of gender discrimination that takes place.

So while its click baity, it does help keep the conversation in the mainstream to some degree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Wibbs wrote: »
    The thing about this pay gap stuff is that if true why would anyone hire a bloke? So either a) men are worth the extra money because they're just better at their jobs, or b) it's all bullsh1t. *hint* it's b

Is there any example of men and women working exact same job and getting different rates of pay?

I strongly suspect this wan is mispresenting of facts otherwise.

it would be like a barman complaining a doctor getting paid more them and complaining of pay gap on average between jobs/professions?(and would be ridiculed as such)

anna080 wrote: »
    She's trivialising murder with her comment. This is why Ireland has a murder culture!!!

Anna, I think the thankers might have taken your post seriously! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Is there any example of men and women working exact same job and getting different rates of pay?

I strongly suspect this wan is mispresenting of facts otherwise.

it would be like a barman complaining a doctor getting paid more them and complaining of pay gap on average between jobs/professions?(and would be ridiculed as such)
    There is no WAGE gap. There is an earnings gap.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

_Dara_ wrote: »

Na. They know was'up.

Wibbs wrote: »
    The thing about this pay gap stuff is that if true why would anyone hire a bloke? So either a) men are worth the extra money because they're just better at their jobs, or b) it's all bullsh1t. *hint* it's b

Yea, and ironically, while trying to raise awareness of the 'gender wage pay gap', they themselves illustrated that beautifully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I've never seen LON on tv, never seen an article she wrote in a paper and never stumbled across any of her outlut online in any media. I knew of her as simply an author's name on a book when passing through Easons. The coverage she gets here is my only source of information on her. Of course everyone is free to post threads moaning about her and anyone else they dislike. But it does seem strange that people who hate her seem to have so much exposure to her when she's so easily avoided.

I've never seen LON on tv, never seen an article she wrote in a paper and never stumbled across any of her outlut online in any media. I knew of her as simply an author's name on a book when passing through Easons. The coverage she gets here is my only source of information on her. Of course everyone is free to post threads moaning about her and anyone else they dislike. But it does seem strange that people who hate her seem to have so much exposure to her when she's so easily avoided.

They actively seek out her output very clearly. I can understand that, to an extent. It’s a morbid fascination. But at least have some self-awareness about it. :pac:

Or...................... they knew what she was referencing and got the joke, maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

And Kate Hopkins gets the same results from her opponents.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭GMSA

OnDraught wrote: »
    Jesus Christ.

You're right. He was murdered too, by a baying mob out for blood. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

Many feminists I have huge regard for. Germaine Greer, Mary Beard, Camille Pagilla. One thing they all have in common is that they will actually engage with people with differing opinions.

I'd add Janice Fiamengo, Christina Hoff Sommers and Karen Straughan to that list. They don't necessarily agree with each other, and i don't agree with everything they say either, but at least you get the sense from them that their opinions are actually thought out.

Or...................... they knew what she was referencing and got the joke, maybe.

And the lack of humour continues...

• Advertisement

And Kate Hopkins gets the same results from her opponents.

I dunno, people seem to be losing interest in her, thank fook. I can’t recall myself the last time I took notice of one of her outbursts.

LON was clearly hired as a clickbait draw. Threads like this demonstrate why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

I dunno, people seem to be losing interest in her, thank fook. I can’t recall myself the last time I took notice of one of her outbursts.

LON was clearly hired as a clickbait draw. Threads like this demonstrate why.

There’s a thread running right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I think the person in the book shop was really trying to wind her up because they put her in the fiction section when she was doing a book signing.

12366245_998526950204585_474991142708237830_n.jpg?oh=36e87260468f96fbf202ffd47e0853ec&oe=5A9471D4

She writes fiction novels...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

I'm unfortunate enough to know lon very well...I know multiple guys that know her very very well

There’s a thread running right now.

I wasn’t just talking about boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Specialun wrote: »
    I'm unfortunate enough to know lon very well...I know multiple guys that know her very very well

Tell us more.

tenor.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

See that one wasn’t meant to be funny. The other one that you thought was serious was.

I’d say you would get very confused at the Edinburgh Festival.

See that one wasn’t meant to be funny. The other one that you thought was serious was.

I’d say you would get very confused at the Edinburgh Festival.

Nah, I’d be fine. I wasn’t aware this thread was a comedy festival. :cool:

• Advertisement

LON’s slavishly-devoted detractors will help her stay in gainful employment which will put her future kids through college. You guys will help pay for their gender studies degrees. :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement