Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hen Party

Options
  • 13-02-2018 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭

As a guest, how late is too late to pull out of a hen party?

I got the invite at the start of Jan, and and the end of Jan we were told where we were going, no mention of price. I had to ask how much it was and got told the price last week (hen is a month away now) the price is shocking for a 1 night hen in Ireland (€250 including travel), when I emailed her about the price asking how it was so much the bridesmaid organising it went through me for a shortcut.

I agreed to go because the bride is a really good friend I've known for almost 15 years, but now I regret it, I can't bring myself to spend that much on one night (I could have a spa weekend for that!) I also am reluctant to go spending 24 hours with this wagon. I think it might be too late to back out, but I really don't want to go.
    I don't know how to approach this with a) the bride, who I'm sure has no idea her BM is behaving this way and b) the BM

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,619 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Tell her you hadn't realised the cost and don't have it to spend so you'll have to pull out.

Done problem solved

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

You were only told the price last week so cancel now.

How do you mean she "went through you"? I'm confused how she's behaved?

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭kg703

If nothing has been paid for upfront by the BM then pull out if you dont want to go and have a night out with the bride just the two of you. No one should be rude to you about it and feck them if they are. If she has though, you are leaving her short the money and where she should have been upfront about the price, leaving her to cover yours because you have changed your mind - she won't forget that.

This is based on my experience of being a BM - kept everything money wise optional, upfront and to a minimum. Stayed in the same county we all live in, optional spa day to start, then I paid for the bride to stay in a hotel & we got our hair/make up done, then to a night out - I booked everything paid for a round of shots and then asked everyone if they wanted platters I would order them but to let me know so I could order for X amount of people.

I had to pay for the spa treatments which everyone knew about and of course one girl that morning "my childs just been brought to hospital so I can't make the spa but Ill be there for the food and drinks later". Plus then boiled my blood that some people who specifically didnt order food were eating it and two who ordered food didnt turn up so out of my pocket that came.

Each person who did that has been on my tw*t list since.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

GingerLily wrote: »
    You were only told the price last week so cancel now.

How do you mean she "went through you"? I'm confused how she's behaved?

Oh she just want on a tirade basically saying this is what it costs and my attitude is disgusting, and if I have a problem with the price it's my problem, and nobody else has an issue with it, and she told us all when we were invited what we'd be doing and she booked everything based on our agreeing to go then (which I know myself is her own fault as she should have told us the price when we were invited or soon after to allow us to plan or pull out) Now we're a couple of weeks out so I feel like if I pull out I'm the bad guy

• Registered Users Posts: 18,103 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I agreed to go because the bride is a really good friend I've known for almost 15 years

Ring your friend and say that you're really sorry but something came up and you can't make the hen, that you would love to meet for a cuppa some time instead and that you're really looking forward to the wedding.

She'll pass the message onto the wagon and you think no more of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

What kind of idiot plans a hen and doesn't tell people the price? I've planned many of them and the first thing people want to know is how much it costs them!

€250 is a joke for one night in Ireland. I had a small hen with just very close friends in Portugal in May for 3 nights for €250 (flights hotel &buses)

michellie wrote: »
    What kind of idiot plans a hen and doesn't tell people the price? I've planned many of them and the first thing people want to know is how much it costs them!

€250 is a joke for one night in Ireland. I had a small hen with just very close friends in Portugal in May for 3 nights for €250 (flights hotel &buses)

sure I know I've planned 1 myself, I didn't email all the details round until I had the price and the date and all the details (and all 3 months in advance) sure what's the point otherwise.
    You can't force people to agree to attend an unspecified activity on a specific date, for an unspecified price to be demanded 4 weeks from the hen and then be outraged when they ask questions about it! Well you can, but if you do you're an unreasonable wagon.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,551 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Is it that the bridesmaid has chosen a really expensive set of things to do/place to stay (but €250 is the correct costing), or is that there is no way the things to do and place to stay should add up to €250?

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭chocfan

Totally agree BM is being a wagon and sounds like a difficult person to deal with

She should have organised it properly from the start with giving everybody the budget etc.

But.... just playing devil's advocate here, maybe you shouldn't have agreed to go to something without knowing the price?? There was always the option of telling her in January that you'd def be interested in going but just get back to you with figures as it would be dependent on cash

osarusan wrote: »
    Is it that the bridesmaid has chosen a really expensive set of things to do/place to stay (but €250 is the correct costing), or is that there is no way the things to do and place to stay should add up to €250?

No it's no more complex or fancy than a standard hen, activity, overnight stay, dinner. I can't see how what we're doing comes to that much. I had thought 150 max (I plan team outings in work so I've a good idea of what stuff like this costs)

• Advertisement

No it's no more complex or fancy than a standard hen, activity, overnight stay, dinner. I can't see how what we're doing comes to that much. I had thought 150 max (I plan team outings in work so I've a good idea of what stuff like this costs)

You think she is basically scamming money out of people?

chocfan wrote: »

But.... just playing devil's advocate here, maybe you shouldn't have agreed to go to something without knowing the price?? There was always the option of telling her in January that you'd def be interested in going but just get back to you with figures as it would be dependent on cash

That's fair, I just never could have imagined that what we're doing could possibly cost that much. But it's still a fair point, which I think is why I'm unsure if it's ok to pull out

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

My wife is BM to one of her closest friends and recently organised her hen party. Step 1... sent email with date and asked who would be available (to get numbers). Step 2... found venue and sussed out budget for any activities/food/drinks. Step 3... sent email with those details including total cost (around €120 btw, for one night) and asked people to confirm. Step 4... Booked everything once she got the minimum numbers she needed.

Why do people complicate things by keeping important stuff (like costs!) in the dark... and then take issue with people after they've blindsided them with a €250 bill.

OP, that BM you are dealing with fcuked up by not being up front about the cost. I'd be surprised if you were the only one with an issue with the cost (though you say you had to ask the BM, so who knows if others know the cost yet at all!). As others pointed out, you are not obliged to attend, especially the BM withheld information about the cost. That's her fault and your excuse is perfectly reasonable... "I do not have the money to spend that much on a hen party and therefore will not be attending". It sucks but you're not going to enjoy the weekend having been effectively forced to pay through the nose for it, AND having to spend time with the BM with a chip on her shoulder.

You think she is basically scamming money out of people?

No but I think she just picked the first most expensive option on everything, and maybe didn't factor cost into any of it. Like there's 16 of us including the bride which means she's collecting the guts of 4 grand, I just can't see how a hen for 16 people costs that much

• Registered Users Posts: 5,075 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Op that price is a bit steep. I have just booked a girls weekend and it's 150 each for 2 nights B&B and 1 4 course meal. Lovely hotel with a pool and spa and 10% off spa treatments!

No but I think she just picked the first most expensive option on everything, and maybe didn't factor cost into any of it. Like there's 16 of us including the bride which means she's collecting the guts of 4 grand, I just can't see how a hen for 16 people costs that much

Do you want to get the bride involved? You said you think she's in the dark about what's going on.

You could send a message to the bridesmaid and include the bride, and say thanks for trying to organise everything and that it sounds like a nice plan, but that you just never imagined it would cost that much, and unfortunately you won't be able to afford to go.

Do you want to get the bride involved? You said you think she's in the dark about what's going on.

You could send a message to the bridesmaid and include the bride, and say thanks for trying to organise everything and that it sounds like a nice plan, but that you just never imagined it would cost that much, and unfortunately you won't be able to afford to go.

Oh I don't think I'd involve the bride, she's enough to worry about with the wedding. Obviously if I don't go I'll have to tell her, but I just want to do that in a matter of fact way and I don't want to seem like I'm dropping the BM in it. I still have to go to the wedding with these people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Don't be the one that involves the bride. You'll really piss off the BM if you do that, and you'll only add stress to the bride's life who will now be thinking her entire hen has become some big expensive inconvenience to all her friends.

Keep it between you and the BM. There is only one topic on the agenda. Are you going or not. If you are, you need to accept the costs and get on with it. If you aren't, make your excuses and politely decline. If the BM comes at you about covering costs, remind her that information about the cost was withheld until now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Do not moan at the bride - she has enough on your plate and you will end up looking like a selfish drama queen.

Tell the bridesmaid you cannot afford and won't be attending.

Tell the bride you can't make the hen but love to meet her before the wedding if she has time for a drink or a coffee.

I know your mad at the bridesmaid but you don't need to over complicate it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭dragonfly!

Is the BM including the cost of ye covering the bride in that price?
    And extras such as banners?
    You could ask her to explain what is included in that a bit more?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

OP of course it's ok to pull out! The BM should have been upfront about the cost. Just try to be as civil as possible about it (she'll probably go ballistic, but that's not your fault).

As others have suggested, don't mention your issues with the BM to the bride. Just tell her that unfortunately you won't be able to make it to the hen, but maybe suggest meeting up for a drink whenever she's free.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

I'm oragnising two this summer both are €100 each for one night dinner, hotel and breaky included. I agree the BM is mad with her prices.
    If I was you I'd explain to bride and BM that you can't afford the hen and instead of going perhaps bring the bride out for afternoon tea just the two of you.

dragonfly! wrote: »
    Is the BM including the cost of ye covering the bride in that price?
    And extras such as banners?
    You could ask her to explain what is included in that a bit more?

yeah the bride is covered
    It also covers travel, activity, dinner with prosecco, tshirt (:rolleyes:),and breakfast. We're having lunch too but we're covering that ourselves. Like there might be a few balloons and party poppers etc but they're hardly bank breakers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭dragonfly!

That seems very expensive unless the travel expenses are mad?
    Do you know what the activity is?
    I'm organising mine for March - Its for 2BB1D, glass of processco, 2 activities - they are cocktail making class and treasure hunt. It's just under the price you mentioned for 1 night.
    Having said that I was pricing a spa instead of the 2 above mentioned activites and that was adding nearly €100 each on

dragonfly! wrote: »
    That seems very expensive unless the travel expenses are mad?
    Do you know what the activity is?
    I'm organising mine for March - Its for 2BB1D, glass of processco, 2 activities - they are cocktail making class and treasure hunt. It's just under the price you mentioned for 1 night.
    Having said that I was pricing a spa instead of the 2 above mentioned activites and that was adding nearly €100 each on

the activity is about €35-40 pp, I don't want to say 'cos I'm paranoid about her reading this thread! I've done it before so I know the price

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Wow I'm attending a hen early in the summer and we've known the price since the hen was first announced last Autumn. Granted it's not an expensive or lively part of the country but it's in quite a nice hotel. €150 for 1 night, B&B & dinner plus a spa treatment.

This is a great excuse to pull out. Imagine you were asked 6 months ago to pay this, would have been much harder to get out of paying 250 for one night

I'm pretty sure i'm going to pull out, I'm just so worried about telling the bride, because I'm afraid the the whole thing will come out and I just want to walk away quietly and let sleeping dogs lie. But she's a no BS type and I can't lie so I can't see a way round that

• Registered Users Posts: 5,075 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

The bride is going to have to find out anyway. I suggest you don't lie to her though if she asks why you aren't going. I know you don't want to upset her but it will come out in the end.

• Advertisement

Dovies wrote: »
    The bride is going to have to find out anyway. I suggest you don't lie to her though if she asks why you aren't going. I know you don't want to upset her but it will come out in the end.

You're right, she will ask, and I can't lie, she won't be one to be fobbed off either.

Advertisement