Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farmer Pastimes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭memorystick

dar31 wrote: »
    Don't seem to have much time for hobbies the last few years. Kids are flat out most evenings between scouts camogie rugby swimming, but I tend to get involved in helping with activities,
    Can't understand parents that drop there kids at training and sit in the car on their phone without ever once throwing and eye on how there doing.

New scout leaders are told "it only an hour a week"
    Try to cycle a bit both road and MTB, done gym/circuit classes last winter really enjoyed it.

Last xmas I got a big lego technic set, which was great to build, they have advanced a lot since I was a chap probably a good 20hrs building over 2 week.
    Will get another one this year, well worth it.

The kids bought me the bucket wheel excavator. The new Liebherr set is €450. Mad money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

I agree with all you said _brian. But ld draw the line at kids having priority.

Every member of the family are equally important.

A parent is no good to their kids if they are a basket case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

The kids bought me the bucket wheel excavator. The new Liebherr set is €450. Mad money.

Yea silly money reviews say there is very little mechanics in it all about the new app.
    Try big red the rough terrain crane the amount of gearing in it is unreal and just looking at the diff set up is a thing of beauty.
    Looking at the new land rover defender for xmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Muckit wrote: »
    It's not all it's cracked up to be in that context, depends on your schedule l suppose. But l agree travel is excellent. See a different side of things. How the other half live. I would have considered it a waste of money when younger until I actually did a bit of travelling and experience it for myself.

Wife would travel a bit with work and hates it now (as do l) to the point she is looking to change jobs.
    Anyone that hasn't done it, thinks it's great. Reality is a lot different.

I agree, it's not for everyone. You have to do it when you're young, I think. I worked on a beech resort in the US on a J1 visa and it was the happiest time of my life. It was where the film Jaws was filmed. If I had got the Green Card I would have definitely imigrated there. My brother worked in the same hotel, got the Green Card and he now lives in California. It was a lotto as to who got it.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

whelan2 wrote: »
    I think the alternative of kids not doing any sports etc is awful. It's only for a few years and you donr have to sit in your car during training etc. Alot of pitches have walkways around them now

That's the way I view it too.
    Sport was never as important. I feel like a taxi driver bringing my lads to various training sessions and matches. As they're getting older they're making their own way to club training. County training is another matter.
    I'm glad they do it and as long as they want to do it I'll bring them.
    I've great admiration for the young lads that are not in the top 20% or so but keep going and keep improving. I see young lads of very limited ability absolutely loving it. They never get the kudos the few elite lads get but they keep plugging away being the best they can be and being great team members..... and keep themselves in great shape, make life long friends and be part of a community. The greatest club chairman or secretary or club man in a few years time might not have been the greatest player!

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Keep Sluicing

I spend way too much time on youtube. I'm starting to watch a lot of the old boxing matches that I was either too young at the time or they were pay-per-view. Hurling would be my number one sport. I played it years ago, club,school and college. Followed then by football, rugby. I find it hard to watch soccer.

I really enjoy hill walking. Great to get out and clear the head. No patience whatsoever for reading. Having the few purebred limousins could be considered a hobby, I suppose. I try and keep up with the latest breeding. I've also done a lot of travelling. Something like 35 countries. Did most tru work so didn't cost too much.

Ward vs Gatti - round 9. Not the greatest boxers but the commentary and the two guys dying on their feet was sone sight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,259 ✭✭✭Grueller

Sport was never as important. I feel like a taxi driver bringing my lads to various training sessions and matches. As they're getting older they're making their own way to club training. County training is another matter.
    I've great admiration for the young lads that are not in the top 20% or so but keep going and keep improving. I see young lads of very limited ability absolutely loving it. They never get the kudos the few elite lads get but they keep plugging away being the best they can be and being great team members..... and keep themselves in great shape, make life long friends and be part of a community. The greatest club chairman or secretary or club man in a few years time might not have been the greatest player!

We have a guy who played corner back for our Junior B team for 22 years. He never pulled on a jersey for the first team. He was Mr reliable, trained every day and never missed a match.
    Since retiring and also while still playing he has been U9, minor and Junior B manager and senior selector for almost ten years. He has been secretary for three years, treasurer for 4 and chairman for the last 5.
    Our best ever player has never set foot in the field since retiring. I know who is of more value to our little rural club!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭jd06

I agree totally with you
    I hear parents giving out about bringing kids training and matches
    Wait till little Jonny down the road turns into big jonny and arrives in your yard in a suped up racing car bringing your pride and joy off to training at 200mph
    And you sitting at the window 2 hrs later waiting for them to come home!... worried sick about them

I'll drive them any day and every day if I could

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Ward vs Gatti - round 9. Not the greatest boxers but the commentary and the two guys dying on their feet was sone sight.

Have you seen Vasyl Lomachenko? Unreal, his father took him out of boxing when he was young for 3 years to learn traditional Ukraine dancing. His footwork and movement is unreal.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

I can remember from my youth, the kids that made it at adult level, weren’t always the strongest ones at underage levels, but the ones who wanted it most and kept going. Quite often the superstars at the under age levels are nowhere to be seen, but the strugglers keep going. I see a lot of towns in rural Ireland, the banks have decked off, post offices and shops closed down l, but the local small gaa pitch keeps going. It’s the backbone of a community. I’m saying this as someone who never had time for them before, but have great respect for the local small team and all the parents that keep it going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,823 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

My nephew is 12. He has free run of the internet, ps4 and his phone. There are days when he doesn't even get out of his pyjamas. Can play over 18s games etc. He hates coming to our house as he has to play outside. Although he does enjoy it when he gets going. As a result of this my youngest lad who is 11, doesn't want a phone. Never plays the playstation as he doesn't want to come addicted to it. Outside kicking ball before school etc. Total opposite teach other.

Can we get back on topic please?
    Child rearing isn't a pastime! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Have you seen Vasyl Lomachenko? Unreal, his father took him out of boxing when he was young for 3 years to learn traditional Ukraine dancing. His footwork and movement is unreal.

Naoya Inoue.

Is another boxer from the lighter weights to have a look at. Fast on his way to becoming a superstar especially if he dispatches of Nonito Donaire in similar fashion to his previous opponents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭PoorFarmer

Used to love mountain running too but a fecked up knee put an end to it last year. Still try to get a hike in few times a month just to clear the head. Do a bit of kayaking too on the lakes. Great for a bit of peace and quiet and an odd fresh trout thrown in for good luck too.
    If it stays raining I might even get my own lake before too long

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Macra is my big passion Debating, Stock Judging, Drama you name it I’ll do it. My competitive streak comes out.

I suppose the unusual pass time I had is ultimate frisbee. Took it up in collage and kept at it. Played in 2 world Championships and 1 Euros for Ireland.
    A great sport with a great community.

• Advertisement

Frisbee sounds very interesting! So what does it entail in lay man's terms?

I knew there would be some interesting and unusual hobbies on here!

Anyone going to run the marathon next week?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

whelan2 wrote: »
    Anyone going to run the marathon next week?

Testing next week so will only be a mini marathon. Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Frisbee sounds very interesting! So what does it entail in lay man's terms?

I knew there would be some interesting and unusual hobbies on here!

Looks cool. https://youtu.be/HhUays2ehyI

Class!! Looks kinda like American football... but with a frisbee!

• Advertisement

The basics:
    Teams of 7.
    End zone either end of the pitch. Catch it in the end zone for a point
    If you have the disc in your hand you can’t run but you can pivot. Once you’ve thrown you can move again. (A bit like netball)
    If a pass isn’t completed for whatever reason (disc hits the ground, goes out of bounds, gets knocked down by a defender or intercepted) then possession turns over.

The most interesting aspect is that it has no referee. Totally self refereed.

Toughest aspect is you could play 8 matches over the course of a weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

The basics:
    Teams of 7.
    End zone either end of the pitch. Catch it in the end zone for a point
    If you have the disc in your hand you can’t run but you can pivot. Once you’ve thrown you can move again. (A bit like netball)
    If a pass isn’t completed for whatever reason (disc hits the ground, goes out of bounds, gets knocked down by a defender or intercepted) then possession turns over.

Toughest aspect is you could play 8 matches over the course of a weekend.

How long does a game last?

Depends on number of pitches but usually 70 minutes but could be cut down to 50 or 60

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,617 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I agree with all you said _brian. But ld draw the line at kids having priority.

Every member of the family are equally important.

A parent is no good to their kids if they are a basket case.

It’s a valid point and I’ve been guilty of not looking after myself in the past both physically and mentally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,617 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

PoorFarmer wrote: »
    Used to love mountain running too but a fecked up knee put an end to it last year. Still try to get a hike in few times a month just to clear the head. Do a bit of kayaking too on the lakes. Great for a bit of peace and quiet and an odd fresh trout thrown in for good luck too.
    If it stays raining I might even get my own lake before too long

Last time we climbed Sleive Donnard in the Mournes there was a race on, saw a guy take a terrible tumble, it’s a sport that must be horrific on the body.

_Brian wrote:
    Last time we climbed Sleive Donnard in the Mournes there was a race on, saw a guy take a terrible tumble, it’s a sport that must be horrific on the body.

You sort of have to go out with the mindset that you most likely will fall at least once on race day. Lucky I never had anything more than a few scratches and dislocated fingers.

Nothing quite like the feeling of bombing down the side of a mountain barely in control.

Mountain running is tough (or looks it I have t tried it) ankles and knees must take a pounding

I used to like the jogging myself. Nothing major 5k mostly. I hadn't jogged in about 6years and touch a notion during the summer just gone. Circumstances had changed. We'd moved location, changed house and had two kids. So l planned a route, l donned the gear and off l headed.

I finished it without stopping. Twas like l had won the Dublin city Marathon. Great sense of achievement. I couldn't believe what l had done and no training in a long long time. The power of the mind and determination. Unfortunately l only repeated it twice more in the weeks that followed and l haven't gone out since... to be continued..

The fittest l ever was was at 35, 7 years ago, the year l got married. I had a strict jogging and exercise routine, and ate very cleanly. I was looking after myself.

I now know that regular exercise isn't an option. It's a necessity. At any age. The time has to be found to include it in an already busy life. The pie is still the same, the slices just have to be cut smaller. The benefits in doing it to both physical and mental health are immense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

I forgot about the auld horse-riding! Though as I don't have one of my own right now the tack is languishing in the attic.

If we're on about weird ones I used to be mad into rock climbing. Dalkey, Glendalough, Mournes etc, even went to the Alps one year. Got a bad doing on one incident & even though I climbed the same route the following year, I never went back to it.

Love cooking as well, though now I live by myself it's not so much fun :(

Not as bad as you would think once you train on uneven surfaces and dont take huge strides on the downhill sections (says the lad with the gamey knee :-D)

Great way to see the hidden areas of the mountains and countryside that you would never normally see. Can be breathtaking at times and right on our doorstep too. Really nice friendly bunch involved down here in Munster too

Have gone white-water rafting a few times on holidays. Seriously good fun if get a good fast run

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Dunedin

GAA is the main hobby here. Would have done an awful lot of fishing, hunting and snooker in my younger (single pre-kids) days but rarely get to them now.

It’s important though to keep at something and will always make time to get to games, both club and county.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Ha Ormond, no flies on you. Yeah I’m not able to make it as I couldn’t trust myself to go there and not imbibe and then be in some sort of shape for the mountains on Saturday morning. This race has been on my radar for too long to jeopardise it despite the incentives.

Congratulations

Great achievement, well deserved !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

I love crafts - knitting, patchwork, crochet. Also learned a few years how to do wood-turning, but as I haven't got my own lathe it's on the back-burner at the moment.
    I think I'm in the middle of a mid-life crisis as I've spent a year studying and am in the middle of the second year - and the subject, do I hear anyone ask? - Theology.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Good God!!!

Are you considering becoming a church deacon from your studies?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

Water John wrote: »
    Good God!!!

Are you considering becoming a church deacon from your studies?

I was ordained a deacon in September, will be priested next year if I don't mess up in the meantime! Maybe I should change my log in name to RevKatyMac, but then ye'd probably ban me from F&F

Great news. All Boardsies will want a blessing. Good for you.

It always amazes me the different and varied interests people have. Love hearing about them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭memorystick

KatyMac wrote: »
    I love crafts - knitting, patchwork, crochet. Also learned a few years how to do wood-turning, but as I haven't got my own lathe it's on the back-burner at the moment.
    I think I'm in the middle of a mid-life crisis as I've spent a year studying and am in the middle of the second year - and the subject, do I hear anyone ask? - Theology.

Studied Theology for a few years. Terrible rubbish.

To each their own. Would you come here rubbishing the lads running up the sides of mountains?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Water John wrote: »
    To each their own. Would you come here rubbishing the lads running up the sides of mountains?

Ha, I won’t lie Walter - when I was reading about the lads running down mountains, and the possible injuries... I was thinking ‘FFS, that’s pure silliness!’ ;)

But you’re right, each to their own... :)

I will admit, farming is kinda my pastime - and I don’t get a whole pile of time at it. With work and then kids, I don’t know how lads fit in the time - fair play to ye...
    I wouldn’t mind something else when I get the time, not sure what... no interest whatsoever in sports, or running down mountains... ;)
    But, I guess you have to make time for these things...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Ha, I won’t lie Walter - when I was reading about the lads running down mountains, and the possible injuries... I was thinking ‘FFS, that’s pure silliness!’ ;)

But you’re right, each to their own... :)

I will admit, farming is kinda my pastime - and I don’t get a whole pile of time at it. With work and then kids, I don’t know how lads fit in the time - fair play to ye...
    I wouldn’t mind something else when I get the time, not sure what... no interest whatsoever in sports, or running down mountains... ;)
    But, I guess you have to make time for these things...

Us humans have evolved to feed off the adrinaline that allowed us to survive life or death situations, and simple as is some people nowadays need that more than others to allow them otherwise live a rational life.
    I've thrown myself off the side of 100s of mountains during what others would consider absolutely meaningless races, no broken bones, barely any notable falls 2bh, however loads of good memories, friends etc. I raced motocross before that, that did involve broken bones, nights in hospital, putting absolutely every penny I had towards it. I'm older and maybe wiser now, but I still don't regret one single day or penny spent at it 2bh (instead I'm getting my road bike licence at the min, another chapter for me!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Timmaay wrote: »
    Us humans have evolved to feed off the adrinaline that allowed us to survive life or death situations, and simple as is some people nowadays need that more than others to allow them otherwise live a rational life.
    I've thrown myself off the side of 100s of mountains during what others would consider absolutely meaningless races, no broken bones, barely any notable falls 2bh, however loads of good memories, friends etc. I raced motocross before that, that did involve broken bones, nights in hospital, putting absolutely every penny I had towards it. I'm older and maybe wiser now, but I still don't regret one single day or penny spent at it 2bh (instead I'm getting my road bike licence at the min, another chapter for me!)

Oh, as said above - each to their own Tim...

I am not sure you’ll be convincing me to throw myself off mountains, but if others want to do it fair enough... ;)

I remember watching a show about the Yorkshire dales a while back, and there was two lads mountain running. Now, the place they were running was the very peak of the mountain, and one wrong step would have put them over the side, and I don’t know if it would have stopped at just broken bones...
    So that’s what I think of when someone says mountain running - but I accept that maybe the more extreme end of it.

I suppose I could say why do something so dangerous for kicks, but we all farm here (some of us do it more as a hobby) And tisnt as if farming is the safest occupation... :(

I forgot about the auld horse-riding! Though as I don't have one of my own right now the tack is languishing in the attic.

If we're on about weird ones I used to be mad into rock climbing. Dalkey, Glendalough, Mournes etc, even went to the Alps one year. Got a bad doing on one incident & even though I climbed the same route the following year, I never went back to it.

Love cooking as well, though now I live by myself it's not so much fun :(

Cooking for one is a chore

Off the top of my head I can't think of any sport without a referee. Or at least someone with the final say.
    How does it work out? The buck must stop somewhere?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

I've taken up bikram yoga in the last few months and find it very good for my back and my head!

What activity do you like to engage in as a pastime?

Up at the crack of dawn to milk cows to drive daughter to work for 8.30 after she comes home she must be driven to the gym 5 nights a week by the time I get home its almost time for bed. I wish I'd time for a past time.

• Advertisement

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    Up at the crack of dawn to milk cows to drive daughter to work for 8.30 after she comes home she must be driven to the gym 5 nights a week by the time I get home its almost time for bed. I wish I'd time for a past time.

Looks like driving is your pastime! :-)

Sounds hectic. Do you feel stressed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

I'd be getting her a bit of a home gym or a car for Christmas!

Bullocks wrote: »
    I'd be getting her a bit of a home gym or a car for Christmas!

Or a boyfriend

He could do evening milkings aswell. Win. Win.

• Advertisement
Advertisement