Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farm insurance

Options
  • 25-08-2019 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

What company’s are people using for farm insurance.I am using fbd but find there prices are gone up a lot

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Murang wrote: »
    What company’s are people using for farm insurance.I am using fbd but find there prices are gone up a lot

Axa were a good bit cheaper for me last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭older by the day

I moved from fbd too. Mc Carthys insurance found a good deal. Not sure who with. A broker will find you a few options and you can pick what you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Dumped them a few years ago went with Zurich half the price of FBD. There was also a discount for being a Dairygold supplier.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

Any good suggestions for just tractor insurance?

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Track9

Sugarbowl wrote: »
    Any good suggestions for just tractor insurance?

Ytu Aviva Ins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Mulumpy

Only thing I find with FBD you have a separate policy for each item so if you claim only that item goes up on renewal. Anytime I got a quote off anyone else they were lumping everything in together so your policy jumps up massively if you claim. That's why the rest are able to quote cheaper. I never have a problem getting FBD down in price.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭gerryirl

I have cattle insured for theft as far as I know FBD are the only crowd that will do it. but yes they are not cheap at all. I will shop around better next year

• Registered Users Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I left FBD about 8-10 years ago and was with Aviva until 2018. Zurich came in a 66% of the Aviva quote last year. Last time I checked FBD they were 15% dearer than Aviva

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 11,064 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Mulumpy wrote: »
    Only thing I find with FBD you have a separate policy for each item so if you claim only that item goes up on renewal. Anytime I got a quote off anyone else they were lumping everything in together so your policy jumps up massively if you claim. That's why the rest are able to quote cheaper. I never have a problem getting FBD down in price.

FBD quotes are very inconsistent, farmers with better records than mine are getting high quotes and mine has moved very little, I would compare quotes every 3 or four years and am still with FBD.
    We have a lamb group discount and without that I'd be changing

wrangler wrote: »
    FBD quotes are very inconsistent, farmers with better records than mine are getting high quotes and mine has moved very little, I would compare quotes every 3 or four years and am still with FBD.
    We have a lamb group discount and without that I'd be changing

They are all inconsistent. I shop around every year. FBD will always quote higher but will always match the rest when pushed. Every company is good to give cheap quote the first year and then hike them on renewal

• Advertisement

They are all inconsistent. I shop around every year. FBD will always quote higher but will always match the rest when pushed. Every company is good to give cheap quote the first year and then hike them on renewal

So you just keep changing. I never allow companies to match another quote

Slava Ukrainii

So you just keep changing. I never allow companies to match another quote

But why would you change then. If price is the same it's down to the small print. Companies offering a lower price are often charging a higher excess and have a terrible after service.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,217 ✭✭✭Robson99

Was always with FBD up to this year. Changed to AXA. Approx 33% less

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Parishlad

Robson99 wrote: »
    Was always with FBD up to this year. Changed to AXA. Approx 33% less

Same here. Have been with FBD for years but got a quote from Axa this year and it was a big saving so went with them.

Parishlad wrote: »
    Same here. Have been with FBD for years but got a quote from Axa this year and it was a big saving so went with them.

I've been quoted 40% lower than FBD but as I've said before they always match the lower price and with a lower excess and far better customer service so always check the t&c's

But why would you change then. If price is the same it's down to the small print. Companies offering a lower price are often charging a higher excess and have a terrible after service.

Any of the policies I saw there was difference both ways. For instance employer liability for family members found it hard to get with FBD. Aviva and Zurich were a lot easier to deal with. Excess of 1-200 euro extra is immaterial.
    If you allow companies to match quotes there is no incentive for them to price right first day. Another issue if you are allowing your old insurance companies to match prices after going back 2-3 times to other reps they will no longer put the effort into your next quote.

TBH you seem to be looking for an excuse to stay with FBD

Slava Ukrainii

Any of the policies I saw there was difference both ways. For instance employer liability for family members found it hard to get with FBD. Aviva and Zurich were a lot easier to deal with. Excess of 1-200 euro extra is immaterial.
    If you allow companies to match quotes there is no incentive for them to price right first day. Another issue if you are allowing your old insurance companies to match prices after going back 2-3 times to other reps they will no longer put the effort into your next quote.

TBH you seem to be looking for an excuse to stay with FBD

Not looking for excuses at all. I've left FBD before but had to leave because they hiked up price the following year and wouldn't budge when questioned why. FBD suits me my price changes very little year on year. Every policy is different. My only original point is to know what your insured for and what will happen if you claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭orm0nd

zurich through a broker here for the last 7 years or so ,

was over 40 years with fbd with very little claims , and they hiked the policy

when my kids started driving they quoted telephone numbers , were more interested in high risk bmw owners in the big smoke and we all know that venture turned out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

That was my experience with FBD. I had the rep out to do a proper quote a few months before and had a claim and FBD were absolutely horrific to deal with. I wouldn't go back to them now even if they gave it to me for free:(

eventually persuaded my neighbour to shop around for insurance. long time fbd customer who thought getting his 100€ off renewal was best he could do

Axa €800 cheaper and I've gone through the schedule thoroughly

Like for like with actually better cover from axa in some areas,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Murang

Just to update how I got on ended up staying with fbd.They droped there price from a 1000 to 690 once they had a bit of competition

• Registered Users Posts: 4,217 ✭✭✭Robson99

Just to update how I got on ended up staying with fbd.They droped there price from a 1000 to 690 once they had a bit of competition

I would have told them to shove it. They were screwing you over €300.
    Imagine what they are doing g to all the old people who don't haggle with them...or have direct debits with them
    B***ards

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Murang

Robson99 wrote: »
    I would have told them to shove it. They were screwing you over €300.
    Imagine what they are doing g to all the old people who don't haggle with them...or have direct debits with them
    B***ards

I was going to tell them to shove it where the sun don’t shine but if it’s to your advantage you might as well take it .I would advise everyone to shop around they were not interested in talking to me about dropping the price until I had a cheaper quote

I was going to tell them to shove it where the sun don’t shine but if it’s to your advantage you might as well take it .I would advise everyone to shop around they were not interested in talking to me about dropping the price until I had a cheaper quote

Actually if you left them for a year, you would get a way lower quote following year as a new customer.

Originally this crowd like the co ops was established was established to cater for the farming community but now seem to screw as much as possible from them and squander it elsewhere.

Even their staff are tutored to pass out utter nonsense to customers which unfortunately a lot of older people still believe..

I can't understand why people go back to the original company to ask them to match the lower quote.

Surely it's worth supporting the company that gives you the original lowest quote?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,137 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

I can't understand why people go back to the original company to ask them to match the lower quote.

Surely it's worth supporting the company that gives you the original lowest quote?

Well I lied last year and told fbd I had a lower quote, I hadn't time to price around and they reduced my premium

whelan2 wrote: »
    Well I lied last year and told fbd I had a lower quote, I hadn't time to price around and they reduced my premium

Look, that's fine. You got a lower quote and they were still making a good nargin from your business.

I wonder why people stay rewarding the company gouging, I suppose, them in the first place?

One thing I learned very dearly is that you aren't covered for what you think you're covered on, even if you're told you are. I have no hesitation anymore in changing company for a lower quote.

All insurance companies have haggle room of 15% More if your a large customer. They are all the same. Most people dont change because of fear of not having the same cover. I always get FBD to match other companies because I'm happy with my policies and every company plays the same game

All insurance companies have haggle room of 15% More if your a large customer. They are all the same. Most people dont change because of fear of not having the same cover. I always get FBD to match other companies because I'm happy with my policies and every company plays the same game

Di you get one the free holidays from them ? , as you seem hell bent of defending them inspite of they ripping off the people that supported them for decades.

There are lots of instances where FBD cover is inferior and don't deny it. If you do then you havn't done much research with other companies.

Ther were 40% over , when I left them. (that was after almost 45 years with very little claims)

• Advertisement

whelan2 wrote: »

Who has not if you have no time to price arounf whether it is Car, House or Farm insurance. I got a lower quote thsi year as well when short of time to organisze quotes. Just told them that I had a quote 50 euro lower and they bettered it by 10 euro . But generally I price around and the lowest get the business

Slava Ukrainii

Advertisement