Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pour on vs dipping bath

Options
  • 03-10-2019 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭

Hiya guys

Just wondering if there is any pour-on available that is as effective as the traditional dipping bath.

Normally we would put all the sheep into the dipping bath and usually end up with a lot of neighbors arriving over with their sheep. You could end up with 600 sheep having to be lowered into the bath. Pain in my hole...and back.

Just wondering if anyone has found good results from the various pour-ons that are available.

Our sheep would be all mountain, only 10 crossbreds, and they would all spend time up on commanage so mixing with other sheep.

ps ticks are bad this year.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Iodine1

In a word, No. Nothing gives the overall clear out of parasites as a good dipping. Alternatives will control some ie clik on blowfly but will not do lice or ticks etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭leoch

Lads im a dipping novice but going to dip 100 ram lambs on Saturday need to buy a gallon wat kind u reckon is good??? How much do u put into neighbours tank ??? do the lambs need to be fasted long before hand ??? And can they be dosed after dipping and how long would they need to be dipped in tank for?? .....lambs arent clipped...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭kk.man

leoch wrote: »
    Lads im a dipping novice but going to dip 100 ram lambs on Saturday need to buy a gallon wat kind u reckon is good??? How much do u put into neighbours tank ??? do the lambs need to be fasted long before hand ??? And can they be dosed after dipping and how long would they need to be dipped in tank for?? .....lambs arent clipped...
    I don't dip sheep but don't attempt to dose freshly dipped sheep. It won't do them any harm but it might do you.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭jobseek

kk.man wrote: »
    I don't dip sheep but don't attempt to dose freshly dipped sheep. It won't do them any harm but it might do you.

Dose them before dipping

• Registered Users Posts: 11,064 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

leoch wrote: »

We use Osmonds Gold Fleece, never had a problem with it,
    We;d always fast them in a clean shed overnight before hand, it's easier handle them empty and there's not as much **** in the dip.
    Leave them in the bath for a minute and push their head under twice to do a good job.
    There's instructions on the tin as to how much chemical to use and you have to put more in every forty sheep or so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

https://agridirect.ie/product/spotinor

How about a product such as this

"Spotinor is an insecticide used for the treatment and control of flies and lice on cattle and ticks, keds, lice and establshed blowfly on sheep. Spotinor's active ingredient is deltamethrin which is a highly effective and fast acting insecticide that boasts no withdrawal time on dairy cattle.

Active Ingredient: Deltamethrin

Target Species: Cattle, sheep

Treats and Controls: Flies and lice on cattle and ticks, keds, lice and establshed blowfly on sheep

Administration Method: Pour on

Withdrawal Time: 17 days for cattle intended for meat and offal, zero hours for cattle producing milk for human consumption. 35 days for sheep intended for meat and offal, not permitted for use on sheep producing milk for human consumption.

Dosage for sheep over 10 kg: 5 ml per animal

500ml would do your 100 sheep.

Take care! Some dosing products such as Levafas diamond and chanaverm etc should not be given within 2 weeks before or after dipping. Risk of deaths occurring in the flock in the days following. (It has happened!!!). If not sure of your product do not dose at dipping. There is a warning on the labels.

Spotinor: doesn't equal dipping. It will kill maggots ("established blowfly") but will not prevent fly strike, maggotting. Also does nothing for sheep scab.

Iodine1 wrote: »
    Spotinor: doesn't equal dipping. It will kill maggots ("established blowfly") but will not prevent fly strike, maggotting. Also does nothing for sheep scab.

I think you should be fine this time of year for fly strike/maggots....

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Homer jay

JJayoo wrote: »

Don't know about that, had one at the weekend with maggots and one the previous week. Is there anyone in Mayo/Sligo area with a mobile plunge dipping outfit ?

• Advertisement

Homer jay wrote: »
    Don't know about that, had one at the weekend with maggots and one the previous week. Is there anyone in Mayo/Sligo area with a mobile plunge dipping outfit ?

Yano your right, we had to put a lamb down few days ago and I left him out with a motion capture camera on him to see what critters showed up, and he was covered in flies, then I moved him he was also covered in dead flies.

Don't know anyone doing mobile units, we used to always bring them.in off the mountain and straight into the dipping bath, was rough going, so it would be great if a pour on, or even a combo of two would do the job.

And the camera captured a buzzard feeding off the dead lamb which was pretty interesting, at one stage a raven and a buzzard are both eating from the lamb at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Lano Lynn

Yano your right, we had to put a lamb down few days ago and I left him out with a motion capture camera on him to see what critters showed up, and he was covered in flies, then I moved him he was also covered in dead flies.

Don't know anyone doing mobile units, we used to always bring them.in off the mountain and straight into the dipping bath, was rough going, so it would be great if a pour on, or even a combo of two would do the job.

And the camera captured a buzzard feeding off the dead lamb which was pretty interesting, at one stage a raven and a buzzard are both eating from the lamb at the same time.

doing your best for biodiversity :D just think it could be wolves in the years to come:eek:

Homer jay wrote: »

Try Kevin Sheridan 0868517541. Afaik he has done some in Sligo.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Homer jay

Iodine1 wrote: »
    Try Kevin Sheridan 0868517541. Afaik he has done some in Sligo.

Thats great, thanks,i know its probably a bit late in the year but i'll try him. Homer.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭stantheman1979

We’ve had 4or 5 horned sheep get a bad doing with maggots last fortnight. You would never know they were there. Sheep were spotless. They are vicious this time of year

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭grayh0und

How soon after dipping could we send the ram in?

Advertisement