Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Young Irish people speaking with American accents

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,614 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Why then isnt the Australian accent natural and easily mimicked too? considering most of Australian people can trace their origins back to Irish, Scots and English people.

It is. Anyone from here can do a convincing g'day cobber. Accents like Scouse and Cockney also lend themselves to easy mimicking, due to big cities being a mixture of incomers. Scouse has something in common with Dublinese.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭rn

Interviewed a young lad once who was born in balinasloe, lived and schooled all his life in Athlone, including third level. He spoke with a distinct American accent. It was strange. I put it down to possibly American parents and a limited, US based television experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Why then isnt the Australian accent natural and easily mimicked too? considering most of Australian people can trace their origins back to Irish, Scots and English people.

That’d be one of my go-to accents as I feel can identify with the proper old school bogan but then I don’t type it nearly as well as I speak it?

Cockney, and Northumbrian in particular are party pieces that seem to go down well as it happens but textually speaking, for ole times sake ah dooo like to fall back on a real ole time southern draaaawl. Not unlike that there fellur from the saloon scene in father ted but Ugandan is proving little more difficult for me

Just by coincidence I was watching this last night, and the guy has a real Southern accent. Just a minute or two is enough to get the gist.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

It is. Anyone from here can do a convincing g'day cobber. Accents like Scouse and Cockney also lend themselves to easy mimicking, due to big cities being a mixture of incomers. Scouse has something in common with Dublinese.

I cant.

Besides the point, I wasnt talking about people who are good at accents, its not just mimicking, its slipping into them without noticing, people who suddenly start talking like theyre from LA without even trying.

Just heard my brother use the word 'fall' instead of Autumn when talking to his friend about an hour ago. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Oh there are so many Irish accents that are worse than a us accent. So so many.

Arguably, but the 'US accent' I have in mind is a weird nondescript thing, not local to any particular part of America, yet oddly common in parts of south Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

Not an explanation at all. The vast majority of us grew up watching loads of American & British TV shows yet none of us picked up the accents. It is more to do with them thinking that speaking with an American accent will make them sound more important. It is all fake.

I agree. My mother watches loads of British soaps, but she doesn't go around talking like somebody off Coronation Street. It's young people thinking they sound cool and interesting, particularly the ones who do the disingenuous 'oh I've always spoken like this. I don't really know why'.

No love, if you're born and bred in Ireland and have never spent more than a fortnight's holiday in the States then any American accent has been deliberately adopted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Its a lot easier to imitate someone than being yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    Its a lot easier to imitate someone than being yourself.

Gosh you're right
    Gee, thanks Mr Brady.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Your Face wrote: »
    Gosh you're right
    Gee, thanks Mr Brady.

I take it you don't like that one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,329 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Just heard my brother use the word 'fall' instead of Autumn when talking to his friend about an hour ago. :mad:

I don't see what's wrong with that as long as people understand the context of what you're saying

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

. It is more to do with them thinking that speaking with an American accent will make them sound more important. It is all fake.

When some Irish person speaks to me in earnest and uses an American accent, I'm not thinking "This person is really important".

I'm usually thinking "This person is really impressionable". That is often good to know ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Mugser

Two young lads who are acquaintances of one of my youngest..
    One speaks like he's spent all his life in the US, even uses words like 'side-walk' and 'car-lot'.. having never spent a minute there! That's bad enough, but the other little sh1t speaks with as thick a Dublin accent as your likely to encounter, even down to the old colloquial greeting of 'Story bud?' instead of 'hello' or 'how'ya?' :mad::mad:
    We're in the Waterford!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭take everything

Ipso wrote: »
    Totally

Eh..it's Todally.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

We should actively encourage the eradication of the Dublin accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

biko wrote: »
    We should actively encourage the eradication of the Dublin accent.

Ah here, will ya leave it ou'. Leave it bleedin' out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

It might sound American but it isn't.

I believed for a long while one of my friends talked in an American accent but when we were over in the States she sounded Irish next to real Americans.

I myself have been told in India and South Africa I sound American (it was actually quite difficult to convince people I wasn't American). When I am in the States I have been told I talk way to fast and I can't be understood.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭joeguevara

I am not saying it is what is happening in the OP but speaking in an American accent is a common trait of people with ASD and indeed with people that appear on the spectrum.

https://www2.gov.scot/Publications/2009/07/06111319/16

"There may be idiosyncrasies in the way individuals with spoken language talk. Such differences can include speaking in a monotonous tone. There may also be difficulties with the rhythm, pitch and intonation of speech. Many children on the spectrum speak with an accent that differs from their local accent; this is usually an American accent."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

rn wrote: »
    Interviewed a young lad once who was born in balinasloe, lived and schooled all his life in Athlone, including third level. He spoke with a distinct American accent. It was strange. I put it down to possibly American parents and a limited, US based television experience.

Why not have just asked him if you have lived in Ireland all your life and speak like a yank then your a bit of a spoofer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

nthclare wrote: »
    Ahhh the mid Atlantic accent's :)

It has definitely shifted more towards the Boston end of the Atlantic now, cultural imperialism amok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

If you think the 'American' Irish accents are bad... wait until you get a load of the 'Vocal Fry'... :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
    Paris Hilton etc.. were bad and annoying with their shyte 'English' American accent, (that Ironically is the accent base for the 'American' Irish accent).
    But this vocal fry is the worst of the lot of them. Where they sound like they are trying to slow down the way that they speak and croak intheir sentences..
    Ugh. F*cking ugh.

I cant.

Besides the point, I wasnt talking about people who are good at accents, its not just mimicking, its slipping into them without noticing, people who suddenly start talking like theyre from LA without even trying.

Did he say Fall with an American accent?

When I was in New York an American thought my accent was Australian.

Did he say Fall with an American accent?

We have also gladly adopted the yanks "softening of language" too. Nobody says somebody has died anymore, "passed, "lost" etc

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Suckit wrote: »
    Where they sound like they are trying to slow down the way that they speak and croak intheir sentences..
    Ugh. F*cking ugh.

Sounds like a retarded frog in discomfort.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Niallof9

My daughter also has one. She's eleven.

Its not a concious decision ffs, its a cultural osmosis thing for some. Youtube, netflix,ticktock, instagram videos.

No eleven year old conciously makes the choice. She hangs out with other girls who also speak like this. Some have a different parent from another country. South Africa, Romania, USA, D4 and so on.

Whats the difference in a real thick inner city accent? the same thing happens with the associations between all of the kids there. There's far more mcgreogrs these days then there is mr brennan or whatever.

Nobody apart from a few people decide on what their accent will be consciously at least if they aren't on tv or politics, performing arts that type of thing. I know my daughter didn't and i asked her about it.

I work with a bunch of scandinavians, where half of them have a yank accent. Learned by US tv and internet.

Newsflash this is globalisation and the unrelenting advance of 24 hour internet life.

Funnily enough its country people too. Live with a Cork woman who has a d4 accent and listen to kids like Aron Connolly and Adam Idah they have Dublin twangs..

I don't get the irritation myself at least when i stop and think about it. It used to but it makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,376 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Why does it irritate people? so much I would class it as a minor issue I have relatives that speak like that one that always makes me laugh a bit are a teenage brother and sister one with a D4 type accent and one with a more rural GAA type accent in that case I would think its the one with the rural GAA accent thats making the effort to be different as all around are D4 accents.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Niallof9 wrote: »
    Some have a different parent from another country. South Africa, Romania, USA, D4 and so on.

I laughed.

It irks me so because Americans are generally insufferable boils on the arse of humanity(and thats just my relatives:D:D:D). If we are going to ape a culture cant it at least be the Greco-Roman's. ;);););)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

mariaalice wrote: »
    Why does it irritate people? so much I would class it as a minor issue I have relatives that speak like that one that always makes me laugh a bit are a teenage brother and sister one with a D4 type accent and one with a more rural GAA type accent in that case I would think its the one with the rural GAA accent thats making the effort to be different as all around are D4 accents.

I suppose for the same reason that the Dawrt accent irritated people, or put on inner city Dublin accents by people brought up in Blackrock because they thought it made them sound edgy.

It just comes across as fake and annoying.

Advertisement