Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calf died before tagging

Options
  • 26-02-2015 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭

had a calf die today, i registered him earlier in the week but wasn't going to tag him till the week end. whats the story now with the bvd tags? do i just take the sample and send it off or just wait till the paper work goes through that he is dead

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

grazeaway wrote: »
    had a calf die today, i registered him earlier in the week but wasn't going to tag him till the week end. whats the story now with the bvd tags? do i just take the sample and send it off or just wait till the paper work goes through that he is dead
    He must be tested anyway for BVD or else his mother tested if he isn't. Tag him and send it off with the next batch, he will have to be tagged anyway for the Knackery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

Yes, you have to get him tested. Last year I forgot completely as a heifer calved a dead calf outside and there was nothing but a yucky mess after scavengers in the morning. I was in such a hurry to get rid of remains I never thought of BVD until it was too late - got a letter 6/7 months later inquiring why one was missing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭onyerbikepat

I did the same during the first year of the voluntary phase. Put both ordinary tags on and dropped to knackers yard. Completely forgot about the BVD tag. I lost the whole year of the BVD testing because of it.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Interesting, have one the knackery took before I got a chance to tag, I was going to do nothing, but I may get a sample of the dam in the bvd test tag and send that off?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭tanko

Timmaay wrote: »
    Interesting, have one the knackery took before I got a chance to tag, I was going to do nothing, but I may get a sample of the dam in the bvd test tag and send that off?

Yeah, that's about the best option now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭grazeaway

Tagged him this morning before the lad arrived, postman brought the card in the afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭Dunedin

I did the same during the first year of the voluntary phase. Put both ordinary tags on and dropped to knackers yard. Completely forgot about the BVD tag. I lost the whole year of the BVD testing because of it.:mad:

I know you are supposed to reg calf within 27 days but is there a time limit you are supposed to bvd test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

Have often BVD tagged a calf that's been dead a few days

• Registered Users Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭High bike

As far as I know they have to be bvd tested within 7 days

Advertisement