Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Agri student wage?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

When I went out on farms they made a big deal about insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭C0N0R

But surely it's the same as any employers insurance, if you don't think someone is responsible then you don't let them near machines. Students are basically employees, you get good ones and bad ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Is there much machinery training in ag college before they get sent out on work placement or is that part of the course at all ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,482 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Bullocks wrote: »
    Is there much machinery training in ag college before they get sent out on work placement or is that part of the course at all ?

I think there is a small bit but there is a separate machinery maintaince course about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Bullocks wrote: »

Yeah there us a bit but your not really let drive anything unless your in a machinery course

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Dawggone

In fairness any student on a dairy/drystock farm should be kept away from machinery.
    Different story for tillage students.

Dawggone wrote: »
    In fairness any student on a dairy/drystock farm should be kept away from machinery.

Come across the water there and tell that to the boss here

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Chemical Byrne

I would agree with Dawggone. There's no need for them to be driving big machines on dairy/beef set ups. They should be there to learn about animal husbandry and dairying, not about the gizmos in the latest JD or hauling silage. Leave that stuff to the contractors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 697 ✭✭✭kevinhalvey

I'm in ag college now doing a 3 year degree course and as part of it there is a module on farm mechanisation. aside from that when students are put on farm work in the collage they are free to drive a tractor if needed for a particular task. the only question yard manager asked was 'are any of yee handy with machinery.'

id have to disagree with u there Dawggone about drystock & dairy students being kept away from machinery they're going to college to learn to do these things imo thats like sending a young lad to medical school and teaching him every illness but one because theres a chance he might mis-diagnose it. tractors are an essential part of the vast majority of farms today not just tillage we learn from mistakes unfortunatly some mistakes are worst than others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭davidk1394

I did work placement last year on a dairy farm.. he didn't leave me drive anything for the 1st 3 weeks only a massey 35... but once he knew i was a capable and competent drive he let me feed cattle slurry spreading mowing turning and showed me how to agitate aswell... it should be up to the farmer to decide wheter or not the student is safe enough around machinery .. not all students are a shower of egits... some are careful and able to drive and have an interest in what they're doing !!

I'm in ag college now doing a 3 year degree course and as part of it there is a module on farm mechanisation. aside from that when students are put on farm work in the collage they are free to drive a tractor if needed for a particular task. the only question yard manager asked was 'are any of yee handy with machinery.'

id have to disagree with u there Dawggone about drystock & dairy students being kept away from machinery they're going to college to learn to do these things imo thats like sending a young lad to medical school and teaching him every illness but one because theres a chance he might mis-diagnose it. tractors are an essential part of the vast majority of farms today not just tillage we learn from mistakes unfortunatly some mistakes are worst than others.

With all due respect Kevin, I don't think that as a host farmer that I should be obliged to train a greenhorn livestock student on machinery worth 1000's.

Either way I will know a young lad that is able for kit in a few minutes. Christ above its cost me some money to learn that skill.

Since when has it become an honour to employ a student to learn from a farmer that has invested his life's earnings in his business?

With all due respect Kevin, I don't think that as a host farmer that I should be obliged to train a greenhorn livestock student on machinery worth 1000's.

Either way I will know a young lad that is able for kit in a few minutes. Christ above its cost me some money to learn that skill.

Since when has it become an honour to employ a student to learn from a farmer that has invested his life's earnings in his business?

I agree there some people have a knack for machinery others just dont . your dead that if u take somebody on it should be completely upto you if u want them driving or not if there fit for it.

but at the same time if u have a steady lad with little or no experiance who grew up maybe where the biggest tractor on the farm was a 35 who is wanting to learn basics of it because he has practically no experiance in new machinery very few people will give him a chance to learn he'll automatically be painted with the same brush as somebody considered a bad driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Damo810

There going there to learn as many aspects of farming as possible, machinery is one of them, an essential part of modern farming. Why take on a student at all if your not going to train him, sounds more like you just want an experienced laborer. I have been working through college on 2 different farms, both asked could I drive a tractor. My role on both would have been severely restricted were I not able to use the machines..

Like you said though, it's very easy tell within a few minutes what you have when it comes to machinery. Maybe an idea would be a complete machinery based assessment in college before placement? In my current course we have a number of Ag mech assessments on trailer reversing, 3 point linkage, slurry/fert etc but I doubt the information from these assessments is available to host farmers..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Taking on students is a risk.

Why can't they use their own home farms for placement?

I don't see why this wouldn't work as I'd imagine the number of ag students who don't come from a farm is tiny.

When we talk of these placements, are we talking about fellas doing "green cert" type courses who are going into farming themselves or is it fellas doing degree courses who are aiming at more reserach/consulting type careers? or both?

What rubbish. Plenty of ag students have no farms at home. It's not a requirement on any of the ag courses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,839 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

heldel00 wrote: »
    What rubbish. Plenty of ag students have no farms at home. It's not a requirement on any of the ag courses.
    yup and plenty of times the people not from a farm are alot better than those from a farm

• Advertisement

whelan2 wrote: »
    yup and plenty of times the people not from a farm are alot better than those from a farm

One thing I have seen in college, coming from a smaller beef farm, is that its the lads with mid sized dairy units at home that are least open to change, or having the views that their fathers have at home challenged. Some of the comments the last day out grass measuring were mad..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Maybe I'm wrong but the way I see it is that if you don't have a farm at home and decide to go to ag college you have a huge interest and are not just going for the sake of the cert etc ...

Damo810 wrote: »
    There going there to learn as many aspects of farming as possible, machinery is one of them, an essential part of modern farming. Why take on a student at all if your not going to train him, sounds more like you just want an experienced laborer. I have been working through college on 2 different farms, both asked could I drive a tractor. My role on both would have been severely restricted were I not able to use the machines..

Like you said though, it's very easy tell within a few minutes what you have when it comes to machinery. Maybe an idea would be a complete machinery based assessment in college before placement? In my current course we have a number of Ag mech assessments on trailer reversing, 3 point linkage, slurry/fert etc but I doubt the information from these assessments is available to host farmers..

Fair points.
    I'm free with information and 'my' know how.
    If a student shows aptitude for any aspect of farming that I have any experience of, then I will flood them with 'my' information...I enjoy sharing info...

When it comes to machinery experience I'm not found too wanting...if the kid has it in 'em, then I'll enjoy working with them!
    There is a lot more to agriculture than driving machinery....

Im in ag college and im not from a farm myself along with severa people on the corse. l do come from a machinery back round alright(Plant hire) and have been around machinary since i could walk! some lads ive seen on driving assesment and hopeless others good just everyone has different abilities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Blackgrass

Fair points.
    I'm free with information and 'my' know how.
    If a student shows aptitude for any aspect of farming that I have any experience of, then I will flood them with 'my' information...I enjoy sharing info...

When it comes to machinery experience I'm not found too wanting...if the kid has it in 'em, then I'll enjoy working with them!
    There is a lot more to agriculture than driving machinery....

Ahhh Dawg i think you have it all wrong, when it comes to machinery...
    Sher all any young lad wants is to sit in a flashy tractor for the snapchats and facebook posts 'flat out LAAAD'(insert french version here). And sher if he rubs a gate with a trailer or manages to fold that one guard you told him about atleast 5 times sher twil be okay everyone makes mistakes when they're young, whats that big fat sfp or insurance for? your premium will only be up a few k rather than repair the 10k damage i did to your shed :rolleyes:.

Somethings no amount of warning will get through to most younger drivers is your paid by the hour not by load, if someone's on your back to 'get on' tell them fook off it's better to take 30mins longer than spend an hour repairing damage. When your let loose with a new unfamiliar job take your time and don't try drive like guys with years of experience, and a day doing something one time does not = experienced...
    Before you think i'm some kind of crank, we have 2/3 regular students who arrived from deepest darkest Wales and now would be happily left to do anything on farm after abit of teaching, except Berwyn/Baz he's lethal with anything bigger than a trailer when flying solo :rolleyes:.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Suckler

to expect a host farmer to pay for damages done to the level of frazzledhome's damage is just madness

Who else should pay - Comes with the territory of being an employer. Every business suffers loss due to employee errors / breakage / accidents.

Suckler wrote: »
    Who else should pay - Comes with the territory of being an employer. Every business suffers loss due to employee errors / breakage / accidents.
    student is a student of teagasc i assume. Placement is through them, if a worker is placed on a farm through frs they have insurance, why is a student placement any different?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Suckler

student is a student of teagasc i assume. Placement is through them, if a worker is placed on a farm through frs they have insurance, why is a student placement any different?

If I hire a student of DIT for some Architecture work on placement I can't go through the college to re-coup losses do to mistakes.
    Transition year students are routinely out on placements ( granted short term), you can't be reimbursed for losses against school insurances etc.

Yea but with frs your paying a lot more for the Labour unit. Your paying the equivalent of €3 an hour for the teagasc student.

Suckler wrote: »
    If I hire a student of DIT for some Architecture work on placement I can't go through the college to re-coup losses do to mistakes.
    Transition year students are routinely out on placements ( granted short term), you can't be reimbursed for losses against school insurances etc.
    ah i am all too aware of the cost of breakages/penalties incurred by employees, i just assumed that teagasc would have cover for the students on placement, obviously not.

ah i am all too aware of the cost of breakages/penalties incurred by employees, i just assumed that teagasc would have cover for the students on placement, obviously not.

To be fair Teagasc probably have well over 100 students on placement, potential damages could be massive. Theres always going to be risk associated when hiring a student, it is very hit an miss it would seem according to most peoples experiences, but thats part of the process. There is a reason they get 3.57/hour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,482 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

To be fair Teagasc probably have well over 100 students on placement, potential damages could be massive. Theres always going to be risk associated when hiring a student, it is very hit an miss it would seem according to most peoples experiences, but thats part of the process. There is a reason they get 3.57/hour.
    I wonder could there be a capita an excess on the damage as in anything over €5000 is covered by teagasc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

If you're in a crowd and you're wondering who the fool is, it's probably you:pac:

Reggie. wrote: »
    I wonder could there be a capita an excess on the damage as in anything over €5000 is covered by teagasc

But why should there be? You interview the student and if you don't want to take them you don't have to, you give him the keys to the tractor you don't have to.

• Advertisement

About 110 alone from ballyhaise at the moment!

Advertisement