Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clipping Cattle

Options
  • 01-12-2012 6:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭

Anyone clip their cattle for housing?

Was talking to a lad today who clips the tops and treats with lime for lice?

Does it work?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

We clip the tails and 2 widths of the clipper along the back as far as the head. This is for store cattle, so not much relevance to Dairy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

I clipped one pen of weanlings last year , two runs up the back before giving them the pour on and I think it kept the lice at bay a bit better over the winter than the rest .
    I never used lime , wonder is it as effective as pouron . It would be alot cheaper if it did the trick

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭saranac1

I use qualimec injection (under the skin)

Used clipper before but bloody hassle and lead always gets tangled and hair everywhere but never have problems when qualimec when given

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭caseman

Started clipping backs of cattle 2 years no problems with lice since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

caseman wrote: »
    Started clipping backs of cattle 2 years no problems with lice since.

Do you put anything onto them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Clipped tails on 40 weanlings on cubicles during the week. Made a huge difference to the cleanliness of their beds and the cattle themselves. Treated them with animec (ivermectin) a few weeks ago which should look after any external parasites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭caseman

reilig wrote: »
    Do you put anything onto them?
    Normection

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭hillclimber

3 runs of the clippers down their back and their tails aswell, find it keeps them clean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

When things were tight years ago if we had no DDT my Dad would use lime to tide us bye, seemed to do the trick on lice...

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭funny man

we do it here two runs from head to tail (dairy stock), it dosn't help the treatment of killing lice but it helps preventing them from re-establishing over the winter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 278 ✭✭micky mouse

Know a lad that just throw plenty of lime on their backs .Says it works for him.Me thinks the secret is to do them in time with something before the lice get in

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Longford Leader

Anybody know the best place to get a clipper.

Is there a difference in clippers for dirty cattle and show cattle.

Is a 120w sufficient or a 300w needed to clip the backs for pour on.

Has anybody used this crowd

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/beefcattle/2462029

Any info appreciated.

I use a Heiniger clipper which is 320w, less may do for backs, but if your doing tails and freeze brands less might not last in my opinion. My advice buy it once and buy the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Dont be daft

We clip the tails when we house.

Just use a handheld scissors type yoke. It does the trick.
    Only do it because we kill from the sheds and it helps to keep the cattle clean or cleaner anyway.

I've heard all the spiel about cattle sweating less and putting on more weight when they have a strip shaved down the back.

Seen pens of cattle in Grange with it done aswell. Would actually like to see a proper study done on it though.Some of the sheds in Grange are fierce low though so they'd be pretty warm and stuffy inside.

I do for prevent lice from coming back on stock during the winter, i've done my owntrial and it works;).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lab man

What works @ funny man ?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 deerejohn

In an ideal world all cattle should be clipped at housing, close to full width. 3 month old calves done as well, 2 widths.
    Far better control of lice,
    No sweating,
    Better thrive
    Far less pneumonia
    Better tailpaint/card surface when ai time comes
    Better intakes equals thrive
    That was my experience anyway across dairy, fatteners and sucklers

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Arrow in the Knee

`

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

`

She'll hardly be going out to grass anytime soon:eek:

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

`

PiJebyMl.jpg

"Short back and sides"

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 Bicki85

I bought an ergoPro clippers from clippers Ireland.ie, clipped the cattle then applied lice treatment. Works a treat, but you would expect that anyway but its great peace of mind , clip tails then as cows are calving for obvious reasons

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lab man

Bought the dearer ergo model for 180e is it worth doing the cattle this time of year

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

I hope so!! I clipped mine at the weekend. And did for lice.

Advertisement