Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dairy Farming General

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

You are mad, but in the best way:)

Mad with money is not mad, mad with money is eccentric.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

stanflt wrote: »
    every animal on the farm is genotyped here
    started 4 years ago
    sold low ebi surplus stock as calved heifers
    ebi of herd 188
    sold 669kg ms per cow in 2013 with a calving interval of 364days
    in 5 years fertility sub index went from 7 to 95 and knocked 60days off ci
    better fertilty has lead to more stock and cow numbers have doubled with out a strain on cashflow

did i mention ive a herd of pedigree holstiens

other breeders think were mad

Totally lost the fookin plot I heard!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Blackgrass

Can some one explain stans post in simple English for us simpletons?
    I take pedigree breeders reckon he's mad for not milking 400+ days between milking and for looking twice at fertility to get some longevity from the cows rather than cull at 2/3/4 calver as can't get back in calf?

I do remember way back in the day at home place foundation of the herd was Dutch imports iirc and then spent 15 years trying to sort out that mess as we're at grass based. At the end was mostly Ruu and Nhs and iirc some Rdu coming through

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

Blackgrass wrote: »
    I take pedigree breeders reckon he's mad for not milking 400+ days between milking and for looking twice at fertility to get some longevity from the cows rather than cull at 2/3/4 calver as can't get back in calf?

I do remember way back in the day at home place foundation of the herd was Dutch imports iirc and then spent 15 years trying to sort out that mess as we're at grass based. At the end was mostly Ruu and Nhs and iirc some Rdu coming through

Think you've got the gist ;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭blackdog1

No other European country has a grass based seasonal milk production industry. The only other major country that has a similar system is NZ.

We spent years importing bulls based solely on output with no regard for the need for a 365 day calving interval and it was only last year that the national herds fertility returned to where it was 20 years ago.

And where better to pick breeding bulls from than from the animal population that has proven its worth under Irish production conditions. It wouldn't really be a good idea to be picking most of our bulls from Holland or the UK or USA where the idea of calving every 12 months makes no sense with the systems they use.

Fertility hasn't improved significantly over the last number of years and it's because fertility is 90% management 10% genetics. This country should focus on training managers properly in ag college instead of preaching that by using a 300 ebi bull will solve your problems. The problem with most of the genetics we imported is they milked too much and it took them a while longer to put condition on after the initial 60 days after calving. Bcs score is critical in cows.

They're are plenty of countries that utilise grass it's not just us and nz. Farmers in the UK and scandanvian countries graze too and we export feck all to them either and in 10 yrs time it will be the same story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Blackgrass wrote: »

The truth hurts for HO breeders that yield per lactation/classification etc is an utterly irrelevant measure of performance of cows in a grass seasonal based system. I'd say it's also down to fact that Stans herds average delivered yield/year (much much more relevant kpi) blows the socks off a lot of yields per lactation anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I must have pi $$ed off some god with last year's calves. Just found one upside down outside the feed barrier and another the same inside the shed. That's after the same thing last week with one. At this rate I won't have any alive come bulling:-(

blackdog1 wrote: »
    Fertility hasn't improved significantly over the last number of years and it's because fertility is 90% management 10% genetics. This country should focus on training managers properly in ag college instead of preaching that by using a 300 ebi bull will solve your problems. The problem with most of the genetics we imported is they milked too much and it took them a while longer to put condition on after the initial 60 days after calving. Bcs score is critical in cows.

They're are plenty of countries that utilise grass it's not just us and nz. Farmers in the UK and scandanvian countries graze too and we export feck all to them either and in 10 yrs time it will be the same story.

The UK farmers that graze full time mostly use NZ bulls. Scandinavian countries use different breeding objectives such as health and breed bulls from cattle populations that have similar objectives to their own ie other scandanvian countries.

Most countries use some bulls from other countries. If they succeed then they are widely used. If not then their daughters die out.

The key in breeding is to use bulls from populations of cattle that have similar objectives to your own objectives, imo.

On management, the landscape has changed hugely from as little as 10 years ago. There is a huge focus on grassland management to have adequate quantities of the correct feeding values of grass going into cows. Now we have the start of EBIs for grass as well.

I would argue that genetics have changed hugely in the last decade. The best herds, those that supply the breeding stock to the rest of the farmers, are getting 365 day calving intervals and the rest of us are on the way there. Very few bulls from Holland or USA or Canada will be of any use to us in getting 300+ day lactation in 365 days.

The UK farmers that graze full time mostly use NZ bulls. Scandinavian countries use different breeding objectives such as health and breed bulls from cattle populations that have similar objectives to their own ie other scandanvian countries.

Most countries use some bulls from other countries. If they succeed then they are widely used. If not then their daughters die out.

The key in breeding is to use bulls from populations of cattle that have similar objectives to your own objectives, imo.

On management, the landscape has changed hugely from as little as 10 years ago. There is a huge focus on grassland management to have adequate quantities of the correct feeding values of grass going into cows. Now we have the start of EBIs for grass as well.

I would argue that genetics have changed hugely in the last decade. The best herds, those that supply the breeding stock to the rest of the farmers, are getting 365 day calving intervals and the rest of us are on the way there. Very few bulls from Holland or USA or Canada will be of any use to us in getting 300+ day lactation in 365 days.

I agree on Canada and the US they've gone mad on milk but other European countries like Holland, Germany and France didn't go that way and they test 2000 bulls between them. Remember Oman is not an Irish bull.....

The Genomics is weighted hugely towards Irish bulls because it's 80-90% parent average. I.e if a bull has a dam with 360 ebi and is bred to a bull with 360 ebi. That calf will be 360 ebi ( half the mothers plus half the fathers ebi) plus whatever genomic score he gets so if he's plus 40 in Genomics he'll end up as 400 ebi. Likewise if his genomic valuation is -40 he'll end up at 320 ebi. The European bulls can't do this as most of their dams don't have an ebi score so they only get half the fathers ebi score and add the genomic so their ebi in general is considerably lower m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Deepsouthwest

Can u give IBR and lepto vaccine on the same day?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,554 ✭✭✭stanflt

I agree on Canada and the US they've gone mad on milk but other European countries like Holland, Germany and France didn't go that way and they test 2000 bulls between them. Remember Oman is not an Irish bull.....

The Genomics is weighted hugely towards Irish bulls because it's 80-90% parent average. I.e if a bull has a dam with 360 ebi and is bred to a bull with 360 ebi. That calf will be 360 ebi ( half the mothers plus half the fathers ebi) plus whatever genomic score he gets so if he's plus 40 in Genomics he'll end up as 400 ebi. Likewise if his genomic valuation is -40 he'll end up at 320 ebi. The European bulls can't do this as most of their dams don't have an ebi score so they only get half the fathers ebi score and add the genomic so their ebi in general is considerably lower m

Genomics doesn't take parent avg into account- it takes a DNA value

Genomics doesn't take parent avg into account- it takes a DNA value

It takes both unless they changed it in recent years.

Oman was one of the few exceptions. There won't be many like that. Equally, an irish bull could have the same effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Brown Podzol

Yes, according to the saw bones that calls here. You can do two in one day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Two milk tanks full here this morning only 70% of what will be milked this yr going into tank ATM rest still to calve.
    Some pain in the hole milk driver reluctant to collect evert two days

Oman was one of the few exceptions. There won't be many like that. Equally, an irish bull could have the same effect.

90% of irish pedigrees are from US, Canadian and European bred bulls so I would disagree with you completely. What is an Irish bull?

And I can't see irish bulls having the same effect because we test too few bulls so the odds are way against us.

Yes but I wouldn't if its young calves which its unlikely to be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Two milk tanks full here this morning only 70% of what will be milked this yr going into tank ATM rest still to calve.
    Some pain in the hole milk driver reluctant to collect evert two days

Local milk manager at dg meeting during the week said they are going on every second day here shortly. We'll be full here next collection with only half the number we expect to milk in the tank. There's a bit of capital outlay in our near future.

Local milk manager at dg meeting during the week said they are going on every second day here shortly. We'll be full here next collection with only half the number we expect to milk in the tank. There's a bit of capital outlay in our near future.

He will go two day 1st April but he's not down around me often enough yet to go two day.
    Packo said before they would sort us out with another tank if we agreed to buy tank off them.
    Bit of building work to do very quick I reckon 2 cows calved last night and two more on the way now

• Advertisement

90% of irish pedigrees are from US, Canadian and European bred bulls so I would disagree with you completely. What is an Irish bull?

And I can't see irish bulls having the same effect because we test too few bulls so the odds are way against us.
    I agree with the tasting of too few bulls but why does the improvement in irish genetics have to come from the pedigree breeders? As you say, the majority of those are from 'famous' bloodlines and bear little ability to perform under the actual conditions of the vast majority of irish dairy stock.

Going by the stock displayed on the friesian breeders stands, there is little emphasis on fertility only type and size and bloodlines. Which is fine if that is your goal.

While EBI still has some difficulties, it is the only standard that is accepted by the majority of dairy farmers and, tbh, i doesn't fill me with confidence about the direction the majority of friesian breeders are going when the majority of stock on display have no EBI figures or, if they have it displayed at all, it is in tiny print at the bottom of the display sheet.

NZ probably has the best breeding of pasture based dairy genetics and there is little emphasis placed on pedigree certification there. If they are good enough, they will be widely used regardless of their pedigree certs.

I don't see a pedigree cert as being of huge importance going forward, only how good the animal is, regardless of how important his grand parents were.

I agree with the tasting of too few bulls but why does the improvement in irish genetics have to come from the pedigree breeders? As you say, the majority of those are from 'famous' bloodlines and bear little ability to perform under the actual conditions of the vast majority of irish dairy stock.

Going by the stock displayed on the friesian breeders stands, there is little emphasis on fertility only type and size and bloodlines. Which is fine if that is your goal.

While EBI still has some difficulties, it is the only standard that is accepted by the majority of dairy farmers and, tbh, i doesn't fill me with confidence about the direction the majority of friesian breeders are going when the majority of stock on display have no EBI figures or, if they have it displayed at all, it is in tiny print at the bottom of the display sheet.

NZ probably has the best breeding of pasture based dairy genetics and there is little emphasis placed on pedigree certification there. If they are good enough, they will be widely used regardless of their pedigree certs.

I don't see a pedigree cert as being of huge importance going forward, only how good the animal is, regardless of how important his grand parents were.

Ebi was brought in to select foreign (and domestic) bulls that suit the irish system. They have done this by in large by selecting lower yielding bulls and smaller stature..which isn't necessarily a bad thing as they hold condition better thus improving fertility. The problem now I have is they are using Genomics which are not accurate to monopolise the irish market for irish bred bulls in irish owned studs. I have already outlined that genomic ebi is not accurate due to it being 70-80% parent average. Thus we are potentially losing out on great foreign bulls who would suit our system due to the fact that their dam has no ebi. Also the chance of them getting a irish proof isn't great because they won't be heavily used here due to lower ebi figures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,759 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Ebi was brought in to select foreign (and domestic) bulls that suit the irish system. They have done this by in large by selecting lower yielding bulls and smaller stature..which isn't necessarily a bad thing as they hold condition better thus improving fertility. The problem now I have is they are using Genomics which are not accurate to monopolise the irish market for irish bred bulls in irish owned studs. I have already outlined that genomic ebi is not accurate due to it being 70-80% parent average. Thus we are potentially losing out on great foreign bulls who would suit our system due to the fact that their dam has no ebi. Also the chance of them getting a irish proof isn't great because they won't be heavily used here due to lower ebi figures.

Using no genomic Irish bulls here at all and a lot of the bulls I'm using would be sub 200 ebi due to being foreign bulls, simply don't see the point on shelling out 20 plus euro a straw for genomic bulls usually the offspring of other genomic unproven bulls when I can buy top class daughter proven bulls for the same money with excellent daughter proofs, the company I do most of my business with have a million cows on their books in the UK and over 3,000 farmers signed up on the breeding cornerstone programme that collects all the data they use when compiling daughter proofs, it makes the icbf and ai companies here look extremely backwards when you see the rounds they go to when testing bulls and gathering information....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭kowtow

Does all this mean that EBI (which I don't understand) has a self-reinforcing feedback loop which would surely eventually lead to more and more inbreeding, and always to a higher and higher risk that progeny will not live up to expectations?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

All I'll say on genomics and ebi is that is working and working very well.the quality of bulls now comming through are really really good for the most part.picking Bulls to improve what u have is key and this is where milk records and ebi and bits traits come into its own.theres Bulls there now for herds who want to x bred and herds who want to produce large milk and solid volumes and still go in calf.in sold on it anyway

Better sit down, folks.

I just heard 40 acres of grassland to lease for 10 years going for 17k a year.

That's 425 euro an acre:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Dawggone

Better sit down, folks.

Do you get to own it after 10 years?

I'd rent 400 acres for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Cow Porter

Better sit down, folks.

Crazy. Any building included, fence and water do you know? Will cows or drystock be grazing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭kowtow

Better sit down, folks.

At that price it had better come with staff.

Water and fences included i think. Not sure if any housing going with it. Very dry fertile ground, good soil indexes for grazing and silage. Taken by a dairy man who had lost ground near him when it was sold. It's putting some huge floor under land rental round here.

Lad from Glanbia out this morning weighing calves with us.
    There's sort of a scour in some calves. Comes in 2 and 3s
    He's adament its not nutrional scour and says my cleanliness is very good.
    There getting it from about 10 days old.
    Its like custard coming out of them.
    Few days of kaolin powder and there okay again.
    These calves are on 5l milk says there well able for more has lads doing 8 on same size calves.

Any ideas? Calves that have it are keen to drink and aren't like calves that have scours.

Lactose is fairly high in the milk

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

These calves are on 5l milk says there well able for more has lads doing 8 on same size calves.

Any ideas? Calves that have it are keen to drink and aren't like calves that have scours.

Take a dung sample and get it tested

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,554 ✭✭✭stanflt

mahoney_j wrote: »
    All I'll say on genomics and ebi is that is working and working very well.the quality of bulls now comming through are really really good for the most part.picking Bulls to improve what u have is key and this is where milk records and ebi and bits traits come into its own.theres Bulls there now for herds who want to x bred and herds who want to produce large milk and solid volumes and still go in calf.in sold on it anyway

Genomics and Ebi doesn't work- got this genotype back this evening

Heifer calf from a 83point 2yo heifer dam from an ex 90 g dam from an ex91 gg dam

Nice linear also included in pic 3 is g dam milk records

10 days sounds like Crypto. Get a milk sample bottle collect dung sample from calf and take to vet.

A simple 3 minute test will give you a result. A job for the bossman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Acidosis - any of them a bit wobbly/drunk on their feet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

I get the skuts myself after a lot of sweet stuff!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭loveta

Had a few taking scours there last week about the ten day mark tested positive for rota virus, so like the guys are saying do a dung sample and find out for sure

Mad craic earlier...cow choking on a potato...all is well now.
    Anyone feed spuds to cows? There is a certain risk I suppose because the wagon doesn't chop all of the spuds.

I don't need to feed spuds but the price is ridiculously low...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,833 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Dawggone wrote: »
    Anyone feed spuds to cows? There is a certain risk I suppose because the wagon doesn't chop all of the spuds.

local shop gave me loads of bags of spuds for our couple of pigs, threw a good few to the cows but they never touched them, i remember a cow choking on a spud years ago when we used to feed them, frightening stuff. Funny to see the pigs just chopping them up with their teeth

whelan2 wrote: »
    local shop gave me loads of bags of spuds for our couple of pigs, threw a good few to the cows but they never touched them, i remember a cow choking on a spud years ago when we used to feed them, frightening stuff. Funny to see the pigs just chopping them up with their teeth

Only ever saw choke in horses before.
    3/4 inch water pipe did the job.
    Feckin spuds here are as hard as stone and as wet as soap...a floury spud...what I wouldn't give!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

theres a tester my sis gave me where you put the dung in a bottle and twist it till it clicks twice, gives the prognosis in 2-3 minutes only use once!

• Advertisement

kevthegaff wrote: »
    theres a tester my sis gave me where you put the dung in a bottle and twist it till it clicks twice, gives the prognosis in 2-3 minutes only use once!

Got a bottle if stuff here looks vile never seen anything like it
    Dad says that's why he could never feed whole milk here he always got scours like that. I can't see why milk would be doing it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭trixi2011

will be feeding spuds from Monday cheap energy source feed them to heifers all winter no problems. What price are they with you ?

trixi2011 wrote: »
    will be feeding spuds from Monday cheap energy source feed them to heifers all winter no problems. What price are they with you ?

28ton = €330 + vat.
    They are washed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭cjpm

28ton = €330 + vat.
    They are washed.

There's no Vat on food I thought?

To get through 28T though you'd have to let on to be having them for breakfast, dinner and supper!!

28ton = €330 + vat.
    They are washed.
    10 pound a ton here, looks like our grass based cows might be on tmr diet for a week or so due to the bloody wether

cjpm wrote: »
    There's no Vat on food I thought?

To get through 28T though you'd have to let on to be having them for breakfast, dinner and supper!!

Can use 28ton in a week.
    Anyone have any idea of the approx DM of spuds? I'm assuming 14%DM.

10 pound a ton here, looks like our grass based cows might be on tmr diet for a week or so due to the bloody wether

They are not a bad source of energy but maize is better. Do you wash yours?
    At £10/ton it's a no brainer. Will you not buffer feed them at grass? Damn cheap source of energy especially with spring grass.
    What's your max feed rate?
    I'm giving 16kg/head/day brut.

They are not a bad source of energy but maize is better. Do you wash yours?
    At £10/ton it's a no brainer. Will you not buffer feed them at grass? Damn cheap source of energy especially with spring grass.
    What's your max feed rate?
    I'm giving 16kg/head/day brut.
    they came washed all winter so hope there washed we have **** loads of grass just but weather has use forced in at night and our silage is terrible. Once weather allows we will be back to grass and meal in the parlour, promised snow here this weekend so could end up being back in fulltime yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,759 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Genomics and Ebi doesn't work- got this genotype back this evening

Heifer calf from a 83point 2yo heifer dam from an ex 90 g dam from an ex91 gg dam

Nice linear also included in pic 3 is g dam milk records

Seems their having a lot of problems with heifers calving down to genomic bulls at greenfields 2 c-sections and lots of hard-calvings, so much so that no genomic Bulls are being used on heifers next year...

• Advertisement

they came washed all winter so hope there washed we have **** loads of grass just but weather has use forced in at night and our silage is terrible. Once weather allows we will be back to grass and meal in the parlour, promised snow here this weekend so could end up being back in fulltime yet

Why not make use of a cheap energy source and cut back on hi energy concentrates?
    It's a no brainer really.

Weather here is shyte. Getting inches of rain non stop. Cows should be out here with a month.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement