Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Instant Pot Cooker 60% off on Amazon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Must say Im a bit tempted to get one of these but am lacking space for yet another kitchen gadget. Have the airfryer on the counter top all the time but no more space for a unit like this so would have to be stored underneath. At the moment I do chillis, lasagne meat, ragu, etc in a dutch oven for about 3-4 hours, if I got the Instant Pot it would actually make the main oven pretty redundant for me as well as speeding up cooking times significantly.

Just on crispy chicken- I thought KFC and similar chicken shops pressure cook their chicken? How do they get it crispy? Is putting something in the pressure cooker without liquid dangerous or would it just dry the meat and crisp it up?

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Must say Im a bit tempted to get one of these but am lacking space for yet another kitchen gadget. Have the airfryer on the counter top all the time but no more space for a unit like this so would have to be stored underneath. At the moment I do chillis, lasagne meat, ragu, etc in a dutch oven for about 3-4 hours, if I got the Instant Pot it would actually make the main oven pretty redundant for me as well as speeding up cooking times significantly.

Just on crispy chicken- I thought KFC and similar chicken shops pressure cook their chicken? How do they get it crispy? Is putting something in the pressure cooker without liquid dangerous or would it just dry the meat and crisp it up?

I agree about space problems. Now that I've 2 IPs plus an Actifry et (I'm an unapologetic gadget freak!) I'm juggling stuff in my small kitchen. I do have a utility room, which now houses some of the gadgets on new shelves. It requires a measure of creativity, but it all works to make life easier.

If I want 'crispy' from the IP I either saute in the pot first and then pressure cook or give things a good finishing for about 15 minutes in a hot oven/grill or a quick blast with a cook's torch. It sounds faffy, but isn't really in practice.

Another option for the summertime, which makes a BBQ a doddle, is to cook all meats, burgers etc in the IP before hitting the charcoal. Everything is definitely 'done' and not raw in the middle. Unfortunately, not had much suitable weather this year ...

Balls, went to buy this morning but it has gone back up to £89.99 :mad: Not in any major immediate need for it but would have been nice to get it now for winter cooking. Presumably it will be available for £69.99 again on Black Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭torrevieja

But the real question is what’s it like for cleaning

• Registered Users Posts: 23,814 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

torrevieja wrote: »

no idea, goes straight into the dishwasher

• Advertisement

If u haven’t got one 🤦*♀️

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Balls, went to buy this morning but it has gone back up to £89.99 :mad: Not in any major immediate need for it but would have been nice to get it now for winter cooking. Presumably it will be available for £69.99 again on Black Friday

Yeah, same here.

Just stuck it on my camel camel camel list though.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,814 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

If u haven’t got one 🤦*♀️

ah right, never considered that :pac:

It's very easy to clean

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

very easy, the bowl is stainless steel with no coating so you can proper scrub it, but I never had to. If anything is anyway stuck on you can add water and pressure cook it and it will hydrate it and will come off easily.

Yeah, same here.

Just stuck it on my camel camel camel list though.

Nice one JD, would you update the thread when it drops in price again. Probably wont happen till Black Friday but sure we might get lucky before then.

I was peeved as I spent Friday himming and hawing about buying it, 'do I really need this?, etc' then I went and watched a good few Youtube vids and read the Amazon reviews on it and suddenly it was 'I definitely need this!' and I was sold. Went out for pints Friday night and when I went to buy it yesterday they had jacked the price :mad: Lesson learnt :o

• Advertisement

Nice one JD, would you update the thread when it drops in price again. Probably wont happen till Black Friday but sure we might get lucky before then.

I was peeved as I spent Friday himming and hawing about buying it, 'do I really need this?, etc' then I went and watched a good few Youtube vids and read the Amazon reviews on it and suddenly it was 'I definitely need this!' and I was sold. Went out for pints Friday night and when I went to buy it yesterday they had jacked the price :mad: Lesson learnt :o

69.99 used if that’s any help

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

Anyone make anything amazing lately?!?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭taytobreath

Miike wrote: »
    Anyone make anything amazing lately?!?!?

Tried yogurt the other day and it came out well. I blitzed some mixed frozen berries to mix into it after it. I felt it needed some sugar as I thought it was kinda bland. To be honest I dont think i'll bother doing it again.

I bought one of these, so I'm gonna try out a few recipes to see if I can shorten the time for cooking dinners.

Tried yogurt the other day and it came out well. I blitzed some mixed frozen berries to mix into it after it. I felt it needed some sugar as I thought it was kinda bland. To be honest I dont think i'll bother doing it again.

I bought one of these, so I'm gonna try out a few recipes to see if I can shorten the time for cooking dinners.

I find yogurt has a nice bite if left for 10 hours or more. Using a good starter also helps and straining makes it even better IMO. As you continue to use your own yogurt as a starter for the next batch it gets even more of a bite!

There are loads of options to sweeten and flavour it - jam is probably the easiest. You can make smoothies, frozen pops and ice cream subs as well. Don't forget you can use it to make savoury dips too.

https://www.number-2-pencil.com/instant-pot-chicken-alfredo-pasta-4/

Made this yesterday. Less than a minute of prep. I was eating my food within 20 mins and it was yummy.

I tossed in some mushrooms etc too.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭nihicib2

I've been thinking of buying one of these for a while, I use my slow cooker A LOT, and its coming towards the end of its days, can this be used like a slow cooker as well as its other functions?

Also is there any difference between this pot and the Tefal one apart from the price

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tefal-CY505E40-Electric-Pressure-Stainless/dp/B07C1MPN1S/ref=pd_sbs_79_7?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07C1MPN1S&pd_rd_r=06c6fbc4-cd2e-4925-b0e8-ce15ab32a9ab&pd_rd_w=nPQ4X&pd_rd_wg=VtieZ&pf_rd_p=2b420a2f-6593-478e-8b5f-cb43865ff16f&pf_rd_r=48XVFSNSSG5PMJPH0T9A&psc=1&refRID=48XVFSNSSG5PMJPH0T9A

Both look great but Id rather spend the extra money on the better one :D

nihicib2 wrote: »
    I've been thinking of buying one of these for a while, I use my slow cooker A LOT, and its coming towards the end of its days, can this be used like a slow cooker as well as its other functions?

Also is there any difference between this pot and the Tefal one apart from the price

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tefal-CY505E40-Electric-Pressure-Stainless/dp/B07C1MPN1S/ref=pd_sbs_79_7?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07C1MPN1S&pd_rd_r=06c6fbc4-cd2e-4925-b0e8-ce15ab32a9ab&pd_rd_w=nPQ4X&pd_rd_wg=VtieZ&pf_rd_p=2b420a2f-6593-478e-8b5f-cb43865ff16f&pf_rd_r=48XVFSNSSG5PMJPH0T9A&psc=1&refRID=48XVFSNSSG5PMJPH0T9A

Yes, the Instant Pot has a slow cook function - you may need to adjust timings/settings to suit your old recipes. I almost never use slow cook myself now as I pressure cook everything now for the most part.

As for a comparison with the Tefal, I can't really comment except from the POV of others I've seen online who say that the IP is much superior. Check out those Amazon reviews for some mentions. It also doesn't have the Yogurt function, which I use a lot both for yogurt and proving bread. YMMV ...

If you can hang on until Black Friday there's a good chance the IP will be down in price again.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

nihicib2 wrote: »
    I would rather have the instantpot since the tefal appears to have a teflon lined bowl and does not do yogurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭nihicib2

RoYoBo wrote: »
    Yes, the Instant Pot has a slow cook function - you may need to adjust timings/settings to suit your old recipes. I almost never use slow cook myself now as I pressure cook everything now for the most part.

As for a comparison with the Tefal, I can't really comment except from the POV of others I've seen online who say that the IP is much superior. Check out those Amazon reviews for some mentions. It also doesn't have the Yogurt function, which I use a lot both for yogurt and proving bread. YMMV ...

If you can hang on until Black Friday there's a good chance the IP will be down in price again.

Yeah think I'll hang on alright, as long as this Brexit nonsense doesn't affect purchases from the UK, we keep goats which I milk for cheese and yogurt so it'll be right up my street, thanks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭vidapura

Jayses...
    Has anyone else looked to see just how many Instant Pot Cookbooks you can get???

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=instant+pot+cookbook&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

Rakes of the yokes...

LOL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭vidapura

Theres also handy cheatsheets and recipes around the web...

http://easyinstantrecipes.com/instant-pot-cheat-sheet/

AND .. of course .. a Reddit

https://www.reddit.com/r/instantpot/

its a whole new hobby right there... heh...

vidapura wrote: »
    Theres also handy cheatsheets and recipes around the web...

http://easyinstantrecipes.com/instant-pot-cheat-sheet/

I have those cheat sheets and find them very helpful. I have them stuck to the inside of my cupboard doors for handiness.

Incidentally, I have 2 Instant Pots and ZERO recipe books! So much available online for no cost and you soon learn to adjust any recipes you already have anyway.

Kinda peeved that I missed these at the reduced price, I'm fully intending to retire my slow cooker in favour of one of these boys.

Have set camel X 3 to notify me when they go back down.

Shouldn't have dithered the last time. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭masterboy123

I am looking for a PDF file to print these cheat sheets but can't seem to find it anywhere.
    Anyone got a link please?
    RoYoBo wrote: »
    I have those cheat sheets and find them very helpful. I have them stuck to the inside of my cupboard doors for handiness.

Incidentally, I have 2 Instant Pots and ZERO recipe books! So much available online for no cost and you soon learn to adjust any recipes you already have anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Almost tempted to buy a second one of these. Using it non-stop for dinners and yogurt making. Really is an absolute bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Been looking at this product for a while and this bargain pushed me over the line.

Very happy so far. Replaces my slow cooker. The unit itself feels gigantic but takes up less horizontal space than my slow cooker.

I'm still getting used to the pressure cooking element but the slow cooking was excellent on first try - used the saute function to brown meat before slow cooking for 4 hours. The sealed lid is probably an improvement on my slow cooker as well.

anyone have a recommendation for a yoghurt starter kit and a good idiot-proof recipe?

Not trying to be a dick folks, but why would people make yoghurt as opposed to buying it? I mean yoghurt isn't exactly the most expensive item on the supermarket shelves, especially in the likes of Aldi or Lidl, and it comes in all kinds of flavours and varieties?

Not trying to be a dick folks, but why would people make yoghurt as opposed to buying it? I mean yoghurt isn't exactly the most expensive item on the supermarket shelves, especially in the likes of Aldi or Lidl, and it comes in all kinds of flavours and varieties?

No idea myself mate. The missus is mad to do it though, that's why I need an idiot proof recipe! :)

(If you're reading this honey, I'm joking)

• Advertisement

I thought this too but the quality of yogurt from the IP is actually top notch. It tastes nothing like the stuff from supermarkets. I'm not a big yogurt fan myself but I've made it once or twice now and it's amazing :eek:

Advertisement