Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

15-03-2019, 18:52   #61
rossie1977

They have almost identical system in Nice

Advertisement
15-03-2019, 18:59   #62
Manic Moran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewJRenko View Post
Maybe we need more hi-vis on the bridges too? Let's just hi-vis everything, just to make certain that drivers don't have to actually pay attention to their driving.

https://twitter.com/DubFireBrigade/s...702815232?s=19
look up 11 foot 8. They come complete with flashing lights if your truck is too high to fit under the bridge. They've filmed over 140 crashes on that bridge. http://11foot8.com/
15-03-2019, 19:25   #63
astrofool

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMKC View Post
It was designed and done wrong from the start. It should have been put up of stilts like the metro system in Sydney for instance. That way it would not have taken up the road space that it did and that could have still been used too so the traffic in the city would have been reduced as some people that drove in would now be able to use the trams that go along on tracks built up high over the roads not on them and there would not have to have been as many changes to traffic into the city so the vehicles would move along better now with less vehicles on it. But no they said it would be anti-social lol as if anyone getting on the Luas these day are social anyway with there eyes and ears addicted to there devices.
I think a Luas on stilts would fall afoul of our building height restrictions! (I'd imagine the main reason it wasn't done is the cost)
Thanks from:
15-03-2019, 21:26   #64
AMKC

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrofool View Post
I think a Luas on stilts would fall afoul of our building height restrictions! (I'd imagine the main reason it wasn't done is the cost)
It hardly have been any worse than digging up all the roads it was going along. I think it could have worked out cheaper and its not like it would have had to be that high only about 10 feet up or so not 160 feet up like say a 20 story building.
15-03-2019, 21:30   #65
salmocab

Quote:
It hardly have been any worse than digging up all the roads it was going along. I think it could have worked out cheaper and its not like it would have had to be that high only about 10 feet up or so not 160 feet up like say a 20 story building.
10feet? That wouldn’t let a bus under. It would be a massive eyesore that would never have got through planning
Advertisement
15-03-2019, 22:14   #66
antoinolachtnai

Send a message via AIM to antoinolachtnai Send a message via Yahoo to antoinolachtnai
The shading effect (cutting off light) on relatively narrow streets (even Abbey Street would be very great. The stations would end up boxing in whole sections of the street when you'd be done putting in elevators and lifts.
15-03-2019, 22:26   #67
whisky_galore

Quote:
The digging is all done now, that's a non argument.
The people pissing and moaning about all the "digging up our roads" are fairly quiet now that their property values have gone up along the route.
15-03-2019, 22:38   #68
AndrewJRenko

Quote:

Cheaper? I'd love to see your calculations to show how building an additional platform above all the roads would have saved money. What costs would be reduced by this approach?
15-03-2019, 23:18   #69
sabat

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewJRenko View Post
Is this a joke?

It's covered in a big yellow stripe. It's big, it's shiny in parts, and it runs along the same track every day, just a few minutes apart.

And you want it repainted? Maybe if drivers would just put their phones down and stop breaking red lights, then they'd stop crashing.

Do we need to paint all houses in hi-vis too now, to make it easy for drivers to avoid them?
No need for the sarcasm. On an overcast (ie almost every) day the trams do tend to merge into the background, particularly around O'Connell St where a lot of the buildings are grey.
Advertisement
16-03-2019, 00:02   #70
AndrewJRenko

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabat View Post
No need for the sarcasm. On an overcast (ie almost every) day the trams do tend to merge into the background, particularly around O'Connell St where a lot of the buildings are grey.
And the big yellow stripe?
16-03-2019, 01:05   #71
maninasia

Quote:
You are proposing elevated rail lines, they are very common in Asia and work very well.
Thanks from:
16-03-2019, 07:23   #72
Omackeral
Banned

The Luas, particularly the Red Line, is fantastically designed if you're a scrote of society. Passes numerous clinics such as St James for the methodone, the 4 courts and the CCJ for all the charges you face and then O Connell St for all your robbery needs with added bonus Boardwalk for scoring heroin and getting out of your head. And you don't even have to pay on to it.
16-03-2019, 09:40   #73
AndrewJRenko

Another near-invisible Luas smashed up this morning;

https://twitter.com/DubFireBrigade/s...47358707486720

That's a lot of damage to the bus - not a fender-bender
16-03-2019, 09:48   #74
Omackeral
Banned

"expect delays in the area"

I'll expect compo claims and whiplash in the area
16-03-2019, 10:01   #75
Fighting Tao

The design is not bad. It works the world over. It is people that are the problem. Many are idiots that have no awareness of the environment they walk/drive through multiple times a week. There is no issue with the visibility of the trams. They can be seen if a person is looking. If they are not looking then it doesn't matter what colour they are.

I'd be of the opinion that any motorist that is proven to break a red/amber light and crashes with a LUAS should automatically be banned for 2 years. No appeal.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion