Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

14-03-2019, 22:29   #46
iamwhoiam

Quote:
Originally Posted by salmocab View Post
You know that would mean having to repaint every tram every time it crosses the city from green to your yellow
They could use magic paint and have it drive through a car wash and change colours as it crosses town
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
14-03-2019, 22:43   #47
Outlaw Pete

You'd be quicker walking than getting the Luas in many areas. Grand for certain parts of Dublin where it can pick up some speed but they made a mess off locating the stops in or around the city centre.

Nobody is going to walk from Henry St to Malbrough St, Dominick or Parnelll to get the Luas towards Grafton St, they'll just walk up instead and it's the same in the other direction. If you're around Grafton St are you going to walk over to Dawson or around the side of Trinity to get the Luas to O'Connell St? Nah, you'll just walk down as sure it's nearly as far.

They should have made it more user friendly and convenient to jump on and off by like the trams are in San Franciscooooo. Abbey St and Jervis were good locations though, so I guess it's just the Green Line city centre stops I think they dropped the ball on.

Anyway, with regards to safety, the stats ain't so bad.
Thanks from:
14-03-2019, 22:43   #48
supersaint3

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamwhoiam View Post
They could use magic paint and have it drive through a car wash and change colours as it crosses town
My little lad has a jumper and if you rub the picture on it one way it's Darth Vader and the other way it's a stormtrooper....
14-03-2019, 23:12   #49
AndrewJRenko

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidk1394 View Post
I think if they painted it red or a luminous color so it would stand out other than grey.
Also people walking across in front of the Luas with headphones in or on their phone is modern day Darwinism and natural selection at its finest.
People are stuck to them and I guarantee you if they reviewed the cause of each incident a person on their phone or with headphones in is top of the list

Is this a joke?

It's covered in a big yellow stripe. It's big, it's shiny in parts, and it runs along the same track every day, just a few minutes apart.

And you want it repainted? Maybe if drivers would just put their phones down and stop breaking red lights, then they'd stop crashing.

Do we need to paint all houses in hi-vis too now, to make it easy for drivers to avoid them?

https://twitter.com/DubFireBrigade/s...46238863851520
14-03-2019, 23:21   #50
Alf Veedersane

Hmmm. Definitely time for a complete overhaul of LUAS design.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
15-03-2019, 00:04   #51
andekwarhola

By its nature, it has to navigate through urban areas with other traffic and pedestrians. I think a certain level of accidents are inevitable and nearly all can't really be pinned on the luas trams. They're running on fixed tracks with clearly defined junctions. I commuted on the luas for years and the and witnessed first hand the amount of wanker behaviour from pedestrians and especially cars at junctions.

Last edited by andekwarhola; 15-03-2019 at 23:25.
(2) thanks from:
15-03-2019, 09:08   #52
Keyzer

We've had the Luas for over a decade - everyone knows about it, knows where the tracks are and most people know what a tram/train looks like.

Its not the Luas's fault certain pedestrians are idiots or certain drivers don't give a toss about obeying the rules of the road.
(3) thanks from:
15-03-2019, 12:38   #53
OneArt

For years, I've lived in cities that are well-connected with many tram lines. Thankfully, have never actually seen someone get run over. But I've seen plenty of near misses with people and cars.

In all cases, it's the f*cking IDIOTS who have no idea how to conduct themselves in traffic.

1.) Tram line (right in front of the stop), bells ringing as the tram approaches and the pedestrian cross light has just turned red. There's a woman standing RIGHT BETWEEN the tracks (no headphones in), fiddling on her phone. The tram got so close the driver had to honk the horn and scares the sh!t out of her. She leaps forward and the tram just about misses slicing her foot off.

2.) Bunch of people waiting to cross. Pedestrian light is taking too long to turn green (it's Germany, so people tend to obey them a bit more...) people are hit with a sudden surge of impatience just as the tram is inches away. They run across the track like headless f*cking chickens and the driver has to honk the horn and break suddenly. They basically just run out in front of him. Morons.

3.) Traffic lights for cars turn green. One car stops completely on the tram lines, your man just sitting there scratching his balls or whatever. Tram pulls away from the station, starts ringing its bells really loudly. Car ignores it until its really close, then bombs away and nearly knocks a pedestrian off the footpath.

No, trams/trains are not badly designed. In fact, they're the safest form of public transport. Sure, they have accidents but cars have more fatalities. You can easily avoid it by NOT WALKING ON THE DAMN RAIL LINES which is easy to do. Especially in a city like Dublin where there aren't many to begin with.

There's talk of banning cars from Cologne city center which I'd definitely support. It would make it more cyclist friendly too and easier to get around. Driving through the center of any busy city is a pain in the arse anyway. It's usually much faster to cycle or get a tram (not a buses though).
15-03-2019, 12:47   #54
ghostdancer

as with most things, idiot people are the problem.

also, like in other countries, the sooner we start putting cameras overlooking yellow boxes and fining vehicles that stop in them and cause Luas delays, the better.
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
15-03-2019, 13:00   #55
H3llR4iser

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneArt View Post
For years, I've lived in cities that are well-connected with many tram lines. Thankfully, have never actually seen someone get run over. But I've seen plenty of near misses with people and cars.

Was going to say this - tram lines work almost exactly in the same way more or less everywhere (sure, there ARE cities where they're segregated and classified as "light railways"), I don't see why Dublin has to somehow be the exception where it "can't work". Sounds to me like the same silly opposition to building apartments I keep hearing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneArt View Post
In all cases, it's the f*cking IDIOTS who have no idea how to conduct themselves in traffic.

[cut]

2.) Bunch of people waiting to cross. Pedestrian light is taking too long to turn green (it's Germany, so people tend to obey them a bit more...) people are hit with a sudden surge of impatience just as the tram is inches away. They run across the track like headless f*cking chickens and the driver has to honk the horn and break suddenly. They basically just run out in front of him. Morons.

[cut]

Yeah this - you can hardly fault the tram line design for people being stupider than farm animals.

Something like this happened to be a few years ago in Cork, on the quay at the junction between Pana and Patrick's hill. I was stopped at the red light, people crossing; The little man turns red, people stop but I spot this moronic arsehole of an hippie, wearing gigantic noise canceling headphones, walking down at a pace towards the light - as my light turns green, he just crosses without even looking...and everyone follows behind.
15-03-2019, 14:45   #56
AndrewJRenko

Maybe we need more hi-vis on the bridges too? Let's just hi-vis everything, just to make certain that drivers don't have to actually pay attention to their driving.

https://twitter.com/DubFireBrigade/s...702815232?s=19
(2) thanks from:
15-03-2019, 17:48   #57
kylith

Quote:
Originally Posted by antoinolachtnai View Post
You can say the Luas wasn't responsible for these other incidents in some legal sense, but the system certainly did result in new risks to road-users.
New risks? Like 'don't walk out in front of vehicles'? I'd have thought that was a fairly basic concept that anyone born outside of rural Mongolia would have come across.
15-03-2019, 18:00   #58
iamwhoiam

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylith View Post
New risks? Like 'don't walk out in front of vehicles'? I'd have thought that was a fairly basic concept that anyone born outside of rural Mongolia would have come across.
I think even in rural Mongolia they would know to step aside if a horse came galloping by
Thanks from:
15-03-2019, 18:25   #59
punisher5112

Unfortunately there is no cure for stupid.
Thanks from:
15-03-2019, 18:46   #60
AMKC

It was designed and done wrong from the start. It should have been put up of stilts like the metro system in Sydney for instance. That way it would not have taken up the road space that it did and that could have still been used too so the traffic in the city would have been reduced as some people that drove in would now be able to use the trams that go along on tracks built up high over the roads not on them and there would not have to have been as many changes to traffic into the city so the vehicles would move along better now with less vehicles on it. But no they said it would be anti-social lol as if anyone getting on the Luas these day are social anyway with there eyes and ears addicted to there devices.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion