Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How durable should I expect interior trim to be?

Options
  • 19-02-2020 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭

Just like some thoughts on this - 152 passat, 100,000km. Bought second hand and still under warranty to September.

Almost the day it hit 100k a small (but noticeable) piece of plastic came off the drivers door handle inside. Then a week or two later a similar piece came off the passenger door. Passenger door is used much less than the driver one.

Dropping the car in for a service soon to main dealer and will mention it as I would have like a more durable interior. Is 100k the point things fall apart? Anything I can get the dealer to do except note it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,280 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Depends on what kind of owner had the car.
    You can get 20k km cars in bits and 250k km cars in showroom condition.
    100k km is nothing and the car should be perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭spitonmedickie

mickdw wrote: »
    Depends on what kind of owner had the car.
    You can get 20k km cars in bits and 250k km cars in showroom condition.
    100k km is nothing and the car should be perfect.

Yeah, will say it to them anyway when I drop it in. Certainly not a rough handed user, especially passenger side! Annoying thing is I guess they can't do anything about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,280 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Everything is replaceable so yes something can be done.
    Dealer won't be paying for small trim bits on a car that age though.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,692 ✭✭✭✭listermint

It's done high mileages in a short life.

Sorry but that what happens. It's obviously in regular high use.

Yes everyone would probably like their 100k cars to be like new but that's not possible.

I'd say you'll get nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

VW's DasWelt warranty doesn't cover that kind of thing so you'll have no luck there. Post a pic, if it's exceptional I'd possibly expect the dealer to cover it, tough one though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,144 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

listermint wrote: »
    It's done high mileages in a short life.

Sorry but that what happens. It's obviously in regular high use.

Yes everyone would probably like their 100k cars to be like new but that's not possible.

I'd say you'll get nowhere.

100k km on a 5 year old car is hardly high mileage though.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭spitonmedickie

Will try get a pic in the light. Nothing exceptional and only about an inch long - just annoying when it's on both handles in similar places.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,692 ✭✭✭✭listermint

bazz26 wrote: »
    100k km on a 5 year old car is hardly high mileage though.

It is though, might not be high for you or me, But many PCP/Lease plans have a mileage limit of between 16-18K per year with penalties if mileage breached, in terms of reduced by back value or financial penalties.

It is high mileage and is above the average mileage of motorists per year. It would be below mine certainly but i've 68K commute. 1way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

vag / skoda = S***E

mine falls apart if you look harshlly at it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Fabio

To think VW are held up as the gold standard of build quality then...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,144 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

listermint wrote: »
    It is though, might not be high for you or me, But many PCP/Lease plans have a mileage limit of between 16-18K per year with penalties if mileage breached, in terms of reduced by back value or financial penalties.

It is high mileage and is above the average mileage of motorists per year. It would be below mine certainly but i've 68K commute. 1way

100k km in 5 years is 20k km per year or around 12.5k miles in old money. If you think that's high mileage then good luck to you. Your in the minority on that one though as it's on the low side of average at best.

As for your PCP point, the average national fleet would do more than 12.5k miles per year and the trade in value is adjusted down to take into account well above average mileage, just like if you trade the car in that is in poor condition versus one in top condition. Financial penalties only become relevant if the car is being handed back and your walking away empty handed, again on average out of all the cars out there on PCP, how many of them are being handed back compared to being traded in to go PCP again? Handing back a car in poor condition will have the same financial penalties.

Anyway back on topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,387 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

A lot of it is down to how the occupants treat things.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,387 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Fabio wrote: »
    To think VW are held up as the gold standard of build quality then...

People misunderstand build quality, which has nothing to do with actual quality. It’s basically rubbery plastics and tight shut lines, something for journalists to talk about.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

colm_mcm wrote: »
    People misunderstand build quality, which has nothing to do with actual quality. It’s basically rubbery plastics and tight shut lines, something for journalists to talk about.

You just can’t beat a Toyota or Mazda for **** not breaking.

VW aren’t as great as their marketing would have you believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,816 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Mazda surely aren't!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,816 ✭✭✭CoBo55

DaDumTish wrote: »
    vag / skoda = S***E

mine falls apart if you look harshlly at it

Jesus will you get rid of that fcukin fabia, buy a Toyota and give us a bit of peace...

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Needles73

MAZDA......are you having a laugh

Just like some thoughts on this - 152 passat, 100,000km. Bought second hand and still under warranty to September.

Almost the day it hit 100k a small (but noticeable) piece of plastic came off the drivers door handle inside. Then a week or two later a similar piece came off the passenger door. Passenger door is used much less than the driver one.

Dropping the car in for a service soon to main dealer and will mention it as I would have like a more durable interior. Is 100k the point things fall apart? Anything I can get the dealer to do except note it?

Put up a picture, bits shouldn’t be falling off

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

colm_mcm wrote: »
    People misunderstand 'perceived' quality, which has nothing to do with actual quality. It’s basically rubbery plastics and tight shut lines, something for journalists to talk about.

Fixed your post. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

It’s the world we live in.
    Nothing is built to last.
    Even so called “quality” cars are being scrapped after a very short life so why bother making components that will outlast the vehicle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

Needles73 wrote: »
    MAZDA......are you having a laugh

My wife has a 2006 Mazda 6 petrol since new that is built very well inside and has a bullet proof engine. I just don't like to look at the underside of it! ;)

3rdDegree wrote: »
    My wife has a 2006 Mazda 6 petrol since new that is built very well inside and has a bullet proof engine. I just don't like to look at the underside of it! ;)

Easy know it’s petrol. Not so hot with Diesel engines.....

Advertisement