Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Lock for catalytic converter.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

They will stab anyone gets in their way or use the saw or run you over.

No fear at all.

Gardai won't keep up with them either as they're very well organized.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I think I am going to get something. Just trying to decide between the cat cover (from garage you mentioned) or an alarm with a tilt sensor. They are both coming in the same price wise and I can only afford one or the other at the minute.
    The guy in the garage in Trim said he seen some of the Catlocks and didn't think they were much use. I don't think he was just saying that for business either because he did say that it would be very unlikely someone would try steal my aftermarket cat but if we really wanted the cover they'd do it.
    I'm not sure how long the aftermarket cat would last and I suppose then I'd have the get the cover removed if I needed to replace it (if I still had the car then)

It's your decision at the end of the day. It depends on how much you want to spend and how much peace of mind you would get.

If you are fitting a cover it should be one that can be removed (not quickly of course) to allow fitting of a replacement cat.

Maybe worth bearing in mind that a cover might make your car easier to sell. Word is out there now about the problem and more and more people are becoming aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭jmreire

I think I am going to get something. Just trying to decide between the cat cover (from garage you mentioned) or an alarm with a tilt sensor. They are both coming in the same price wise and I can only afford one or the other at the minute.
    The guy in the garage in Trim said he seen some of the Catlocks and didn't think they were much use. I don't think he was just saying that for business either because he did say that it would be very unlikely someone would try steal my aftermarket cat but if we really wanted the cover they'd do it.
    I'm not sure how long the aftermarket cat would last and I suppose then I'd have the get the cover removed if I needed to replace it (if I still had the car then)

I would be going for either the cover or rebar cage options and replacing the two bolt's holding it on to the manifold.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

Are these all old gen 2 prius, any gen 3's been hit ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

This is all an absolute waste of time money and effort.
    If they want it, they will take it, one way or another.

A seasoned, experienced and brazen thief will not be deterred in the slightest by these devices. They will happily rip, cut and tear their way through the car to get it. They know the Gardai will take time to respond and they have no fear. Do not try to stop them as they'd have no qualms about pulling a stilson wrench across your jaw, or any other kind of violence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

Hi guys. Decided not to get the cover. Was in with my own mechanic today who said there's no point that they know what they're doing and know an aftermarket one isn't worth crap to them.

He also echoed what some of the posters here in the thread have said and said if there's a cover they'll just attach something to it and tow the whole thing off causing more damage.
    He said it wouldn't have been a bad idea having one obviously before it was stolen but thinks it would've still been hit anyway if they wanted it badly enough

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭dkd21

If i had a Prius , I would remove the catalytic converter completely , get a straight pipe welded in place and use an o2 sensor emulator . Then sell the cat to your local scrap merchant :D or keep for the next owner :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Someone should make up stickers.....

My cats already been stolen.... Don't waste your time.....

I think we where shown the solution.

Keep the handbrake off and gears in neutral when parking.
    More chance of the car rolling off their jack and crushing them.

Actually, I'm thinking if you could fit small "spikes" that could be placed around the edge of the car where they duck under to reach the cat.
    You'd have to warn your normal mechanic and nct guys though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭FionnK86

Guards sending someone later to see if they can get prints. They said with some of the tools these guys have a lock wouldn't stop them

Did they come to get prints?

I asked gym for CCTV and they kept it.

Guard then voicemailed me she’d requested footage several times from gym.

I forwarded voicemail to gym who said they’d not received one request.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I think we where shown the solution.

Keep the handbrake off and gears in neutral when parking.
    More chance of the car rolling off their jack and crushing them.

Actually, I'm thinking if you could fit small "spikes" that could be placed around the edge of the car where they duck under to reach the cat.
    You'd have to warn your normal mechanic and nct guys though.

Can't leave a car parked without hand brake or in gear - it might roll away.

Can't put spikes, what about small kid reaching under to retrieve ball etc.

Back to the drawing board :)

FionnK86 wrote: »
    Did they come to get prints?

I asked gym for CCTV and they kept it.

Guard then voicemailed me she’d requested footage several times from gym.

I forwarded voicemail to gym who said they’d not received one request.

Yeah I was very surprised they actually came down within an hour. But they were wearing gloves he said

elperello wrote: »
    Can't leave a car parked without hand brake or in gear - it might roll away.

Have to check, if you keep the footbrake off.... but put the gears in park, would it roll a little... Enough to be unstable on a jack.

Have to check, if you keep the footbrake off.... but put the gears in park, would it roll a little... Enough to be unstable on a jack.

The same travelling gangs pulling this off are also well versed on the art of compensation.

You’d sooner see a judge convict you of negligence and rewarded them, then convict them for theft.

This country needs someone who can clean up this issue, we’re at a disadvantage to other 1st world countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

The transmission park on the gen 3 Prius (don't know about others) only works with both front wheels on the ground. If you lift the front and turn one of the wheels, the other front wheel will rotate in the opposite direction. So if you lifted one side of the car with no parking brake or chocks, it will roll.

The guard looking after my car said they'd finally got superintendents permission to get CCTV the week before gym closed and now with lockdown they won't be able to review. Not really pushed to follow it up, only I've same car and will be going back to same place when this is all over so would like something done.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭jc1001

I fell victim to these parasites on Saturday morning, broad daylight, parked outside my house, Stillorgan area. Neighbour disturbed them, but not before they had cut through the pipe just under the engine block and got their prize. 00 Yaris, with low mileage, but now probably a write-off, the f0ckers, I hope they enjoy their 100 EU from the cat. Does anyone know any motor-factors in the area that are open at the moment, or do they not fall under essential services. My usual garage is Atlas, but they are closed until the 5th.

jc1001 wrote: »
    I fell victim to these parasites on Saturday morning, broad daylight, parked outside my house, Stillorgan area. Neighbour disturbed them, but not before they had cut through the pipe just under the engine block and got their prize. 00 Yaris, with low mileage, but now probably a write-off, the f0ckers, I hope they enjoy their 100 EU from the cat. Does anyone know any motor-factors in the area that are open at the moment, or do they not fall under essential services. My usual garage is Atlas, but they are closed until the 5th.

Sorry to read JC1001. They’ve done in a private estate? They’re getting bolder so, even with more people at home & guards patrolling! Majority of motor factors/yards are closed.

I’d suggest report to guards if you haven’t, then explain you’ll need to drive with loud noise until you’ve opportunity to replace. Despite the lack of follow up from guards in my particular case, they did provide me with this disposition after I requested.

My 01 Yaris and housemates 03 are sitting on our drive. I’m going to chain the cat once DIY places reopen. I thought they’d take a holiday from this but obviously not!

Sorry to read JC1001. They’ve done in a private estate? They’re getting bolder so, even with more people at home & guards patrolling! Majority of motor factors/yards are closed.

I’d suggest report to guards if you haven’t, then explain you’ll need to drive with loud noise until you’ve opportunity to replace. Despite the lack of follow up from guards in my particular case, they did provide me with this disposition after I requested.

My 01 Yaris and housemates 03 are sitting on our drive. I’m going to chain the cat once DIY places reopen. I thought they’d take a holiday from this but obviously not!

Yeah private estate. I'd say they're not too worried about being caught - no real consequences for them if they are. The Gards were up alright after the neighbour reported it, and an incident recorded, but would be very surprised if I hear any more on it. I don't think I'll be driving it till it's fixed, TBH, noise is too much, and the petrol smell leaks into the cabin.

• Advertisement

Yeah private estate. I'd say they're not too worried about being caught - no real consequences for them if they are. The Gards were up alright after the neighbour reported it, and an incident recorded, but would be very surprised if I hear any more on it. I don't think I'll be driving it till it's fixed, TBH, noise is too much, and the petrol smell leaks into the cabin.

The travelling gangs who carry out this crime are quite brazen, I don't know why I thought they would be less so in this time.

The guards don't follow up because they can't get the cases through the courts. It's a blight on UK/Ireland that unfortunately, I don't think we'll ever be rid of, unless we start to take the law seriously.

The noise is very bad yes, I didn't have the fumes issue, but the noise convinced me to get it fixed the next weekend. At least there is less excuse for driving now!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,748 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Edit: These guys are NOT open.
    https://www.ashgroveinterparts.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,906 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The travelling gangs who carry out this crime are quite brazen, I don't know why I thought they would be less so in this time.

The guards don't follow up because they can't get the cases through the courts. It's a blight on UK/Ireland that unfortunately, I don't think we'll ever be rid of, unless we start to take the law seriously.

The noise is very bad yes, I didn't have the fumes issue, but the noise convinced me to get it fixed the next weekend. At least there is less excuse for driving now!

It could be stopped in seconds if scrap yards required phone ID for all purchases and proof of ownership, it would even stop the theft of ESB and other infrastructure cables. But that would be sensible and easily implemented so won't happen.

Del2005 wrote: »
    It could be stopped in seconds if scrap yards required phone ID for all purchases and proof of ownership, it would even stop the theft of ESB and other infrastructure cables. But that would be sensible and easily implemented so won't happen.

That would take common-sense, and this is Ireland ... :D

That would take common-sense, and this is Ireland ... :D

Also, I know a member of same community that steals the cats for metal also owns a scrapyard in Louth that can melt them down and sell the materials which the purchaser can't track as it's raw material.

I fyou read my previous posts you'd see that chaining or locking the cat is not only completely futile and ineffective, but it can also result in an even greater level of destruction and damage as they will be quite happy to cut, rip, tear, bust and break their way through the car to get their prize. They don't care if they mangle and write off the car or not. if it is difficult to access they will tie a tow chain around the exhaust and wrench the whole thing free from your car using their jeep or transit and pull it off down the road behind them until they find a spot to pull in and cut it out of the exhaust pipe.
    Don't for the life of you challenge them. They will be equally happy to pull a lump hammer or slash hook across your face if you try to stop them.

I dunno why anyone is bothered with the hassle of locks anyway. Sure your car is insured anyway. Just claim off of the insurance for repairs if it happens.

Sorry to hear about your yaris. These scumbags are so brazen even with the guards stopping everyone they're still out stealing!

I fyou read my previous posts you'd see that chaining or locking the cat is not only completely futile and ineffective, but it can also result in an even greater level of destruction and damage as they will be quite happy to cut, rip, tear, bust and break their way through the car to get their prize. They don't care if they mangle and write off the car or not. if it is difficult to access they will tie a tow chain around the exhaust and wrench the whole thing free from your car using their jeep or transit and pull it off down the road behind them until they find a spot to pull in and cut it out of the exhaust pipe.
    Don't for the life of you challenge them. They will be equally happy to pull a lump hammer or slash hook across your face if you try to stop them.

I dunno why anyone is bothered with the hassle of locks anyway. Sure your car is insured anyway. Just claim off of the insurance for repairs if it happens.

If they take mine again, I won’t be investing in another Yaris. A chain is handy in my case as it would slow them taking it by the extra few minutes I’d have to spook them/record details.

I wouldn’t leave the house to challenge them, life’s not worth the €1000 to replace it. If I wanted to challenge them, I’d have continued the case with the guards. Unfortunately, you can’t change a way of life, especially when the courts don’t deter it.

The insurance situation isn’t as clear cut, in going to hazard a guess that other Yaris owners are like me in that they’ve bought the car because it’s cheap to insure and economical.

An insurance claim deducts No claims bonus, if I’m correct. 2 years NCB on my Yaris is worth €1500 off my insurance, so it’s more expensive to claim, then to replace exhaust. However if majority claimed, then insurers would be pushing cases like it through courts.

You’d wonder if the scrapyards melting down are open for business with all this going on, or are lads sitting on a haul of them, waiting for them to reopen?

A chain won't allow them down. They'll just pull it off with the transit and be gone.

What is the point getting details? Sure any reg numbers are probably fake or cloned and the Gardai aren't going to follow up, let alone the courts.

Waste of time. You take your chances and hope for the best but if it happens it happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,906 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

If they take mine again, I won’t be investing in another Yaris. A chain is handy in my case as it would slow them taking it by the extra few minutes I’d have to spook them/record details.

I wouldn’t leave the house to challenge them, life’s not worth the €1000 to replace it. If I wanted to challenge them, I’d have continued the case with the guards. Unfortunately, you can’t change a way of life, especially when the courts don’t deter it.

The insurance situation isn’t as clear cut, in going to hazard a guess that other Yaris owners are like me in that they’ve bought the car because it’s cheap to insure and economical.

An insurance claim deducts No claims bonus, if I’m correct. 2 years NCB on my Yaris is worth €1500 off my insurance, so it’s more expensive to claim, then to replace exhaust. However if majority claimed, then insurers would be pushing cases like it through courts.

You’d wonder if the scrapyards melting down are open for business with all this going on, or are lads sitting on a haul of them, waiting for them to reopen?

Theft claims don't usually affect NCD or premiums, check with your own insurance to be sure. If more people claim then the insurance companies could force though a change.

If they brought in ID for when a scrap yard purchases it would be easy enough to find out if they are producing more scrap than they are buying. I'd guess that the furnace they are using doesn't comply with environmental legislation .

Advertisement