Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Traffic on Twitter 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

GNWoodd wrote: »
    Why didn't Gardatraffic comment on a motorway being closed by the sulkies ? . Much easier to pull a motorist off the road while driving to work .

Because it’s not a motorway and they weren’t there when it happened, didn’t pull anybody over, and thus have nothing to post about?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Because it’s not a motorway and they weren’t there and it happened?

I reckon the boys above got lost on the way to the journal.ie comment section there

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 20 Ago1960

Because it’s not a motorway and they weren’t there when it happened, didn’t pull anybody over, and thus have nothing to post about?

I was one of the many drivers held up by this Sulky race and my wife who was in the car with me rang the Gardai and told them what was happening. She was told that a car would be dispatched when one became available, Needless to say the incident was well over before one became available. No revenue to be gathered so no emergency,

Surely there would be loads of revenue to be collected if loads of driving offences are being committed?

Should the Gardai aggressively intervene here, how do you think they should go about it using a patrol car?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

Surely there would be loads of revenue to be collected if loads of driving offences are being committed?

Should the Gardai aggressively intervene here, how do you think they should go about it using a patrol car?

Don't bother, they'll next be giving out about garda traffic doing checkpoints and not going after "de reel crimbindils"

• Advertisement

Don't bother, they'll next be giving out about garda traffic doing checkpoints and not going after "de reel crimbindils"

De bankers?
    Leo?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭joeysoap

To collect revenue .......someone has to pay it. Simples.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,331 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

joeysoap wrote: »
    To collect revenue .......someone has to pay it. Simples.

The only way your getting money out of those gringos is rocking up in a Cadillac M114.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,250 ✭✭✭✭flazio

In relation to that sulky race and the lack of Garda intervention. How many Gardaí would you expect there to be available in that one moment on a Sunday morning? One maybe up to three cars. Each with two personnel on board. That's six Guards. There was no warning that this was being organised so preventative measures couldn't have happened. Now look back at the footage, how many travellers were there? Is there a risk that they could be armed? What are they likely to do to the guards when confronted? These people have no fear of authority.
    Every member of the emergency services are told to always put their own safety first, then their teammates and finally the public because they no use to anyone dead or critically injured. In fact they make matters worse because then more resources are wasted on tending their injuries.
    It's annoying that there isn't a snap of the finger way to combat antisocial behaviour but that's reality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

Maybe they couldn’t have been there immediately but I hope they’ve used CCTV to get the registrations of the cars involved and are following them up - this sort of BS has to stop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Gardai need to move in the 21st century.... They're still set up like when they started out.

CCTV, camera in each car at least one in each.

Get evidence from taking footage of those involved, fines, points and even court appearance handed out to all those that drove, fines for those hanging out windows and also then for no seat belts.....

Imagine the money in that one stint alone they could claw back...

The US had cameras in some cars as far back as the 80s we only got them in 2007/08.....

They are so far behind its actually laughable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭Damien360

Maybe they couldn’t have been there immediately but I hope they’ve used CCTV to get the registrations of the cars involved and are following them up - this sort of BS has to stop

The reg plate tells you nothing about the driver. When your car is photographed for speeding, it’s up to the owner to determine who is the driver. You haven’t a hope in hell of getting a correct address, correct name or any other relevant details from this crowd.

Do you need a license to keep horses? Should also be subject to inspection. Should also be notification on their house, large animals kept here.
    No licence, no warning to public. Animals confiscated. Your at nothing going after their driving license or wallet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Do you need a license to keep horses? Should also be subject to inspection. Should also be notification on their house, large animals kept here.
    No licence, no warning to public. Animals confiscated. Your at nothing going after their driving license or wallet.

As said this will mean putting the animal is put down.
    I'm not sure how we could or should facilitate such a large culling of animals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,429 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

flazio wrote: »
    In relation to that sulky race and the lack of Garda intervention. How many Gardaí would you expect there to be available in that one moment on a Sunday morning? One maybe up to three cars. Each with two personnel on board. That's six Guards. There was no warning that this was being organised so preventative measures couldn't have happened. Now look back at the footage, how many travellers were there? Is there a risk that they could be armed? What are they likely to do to the guards when confronted? These people have no fear of authority.
    Every member of the emergency services are told to always put their own safety first, then their teammates and finally the public because they no use to anyone dead or critically injured. In fact they make matters worse because then more resources are wasted on tending their injuries.
    It's annoying that there isn't a snap of the finger way to combat antisocial behaviour but that's reality.

If the same large group of people decided to rob an ATM machine at that time on a Sunday morning would nothing also be done? You call in the ERU, you call in the Garda helicopter, as if you don't it gets out of control and before you know it they will be on the M50 on rush hour racing.

The vehicles had registration plates, there's cameras on the N7, they could question all those registered vehicle owners if they wanted to.

tuxy wrote: »

You'd be hoping they'd start to toe the line, they should have official places to go race/practice. Carrot and stick approach. We should also have green ways much like there making them for cycling. If Tayto wants to take his horse from Cork to Dublin let's make a trail way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

You'd be hoping they'd start to toe the line, they should have official places to go race/practice. Carrot and stick approach. We should also have green ways much like there making them for cycling. If Tayto wants to take his horse from Cork to Dublin let's make a trail way.

Good point, if there is one thing they are known for it's being logical and reasonable with a strong interest in improving society as a whole.

The vehicles had registration plates, there's cameras on the N7, they could question all those registered vehicle owners if they wanted to.
    How do you know they aren't doing that? They don't have to report into twitter and media exactly how an investigation is going, arrests made etc.
    Another annoying thing about travellers lately is that they are importing vehicles from the UK and not bothering to change the plates (presumably not paying the VRT) I recently had the unfortunate experience of driving through Rathkeale on the Limerick Tralee road while there was an accident cleanup on the bypass and you'd swear you'd crossed the border from the amount of yellow plates in the town. (Biggest traveller population in the country) I'd love to see the Guards get on top of that but the resources aren't there and the way the government is going at the moment it doesn't look like they're getting much more either.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭square ball

flazio wrote: »
    How do you know they aren't doing that? They don't have to report into twitter and media exactly how an investigation is going, arrests made etc.
    Another annoying thing about travellers lately is that they are importing vehicles from the UK and not bothering to change the plates (presumably not paying the VRT) I recently had the unfortunate experience of driving through Rathkeale on the Limerick Tralee road while there was an accident cleanup on the bypass and you'd swear you'd crossed the border from the amount of yellow plates in the town. (Biggest traveller population in the country) I'd love to see the Guards get on top of that but the resources aren't there and the way the government is going at the moment it doesn't look like they're getting much more either.

So we are going to see a number of people convicted for a huge number of crimes and offences from that video in the coming months? I doubt it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Mr Snow

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

There are other roads they can legally travel on a horse and cart from cork to Dublin if they want. They are not allowed on motorways though.

And there are tracks in Ireland and the UK for racing on. They choose not to use them.

M

pablo128 wrote: »
    And there are tracks in Ireland and the UK for racing on. They choose not to use them.

Their traditional Hiace isn't very good offroad :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,802 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

M

Feckin Micra is 199 tax. How tight would you be faking a disc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

• Advertisement

They caught just the one then...

Unregistered Users

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,353 ✭✭✭✭endacl

tuxy wrote: »

Dept of agriculture would be equipped. They have to be ready to cull complete herds and dispose of carcasses in the case of a TB detection, for example. It would be an awful job to have to carry out, but if certain demographics (yes, plural. I’m not picking on one) aren’t in a position to properly care for animals, they shouldn’t be let keep animals.

If they were in a position to buy land, build facilities, and keep them properly, there wouldn’t be an issue at all.

endacl wrote: »
    Dept of agriculture would be equipped. They have to be ready to cull complete herds and dispose of carcasses in the case of a TB detection, for example. It would be an awful job to have to carry out, but if certain demographics (yes, plural. I’m not picking on one) aren’t in a position to properly care for animals, they shouldn’t be let keep animals.

If they were in a position to buy land, build facilities, and keep them properly, there wouldn’t be an issue at all.

The last few lines for quite well in as they can in most cases afford all that but want it handed to them for free.

Unregistered Users

Unregistered Users

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,288 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I don't understand why people don't use Bluetooth in their cars. There's absolutely no excuse these days.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

DaveyDave wrote: »
    I don't understand why people don't use Bluetooth in their cars. There's absolutely no excuse these days.

Why are new cars sold without hands free installed? Why is not not mandatory for this to be the case? EBS is mandatory, so why not hands free?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭Cordell

Because they aren't talking on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,513 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Cordell wrote: »
    Because they aren't talking on them.

Probably texting or something equally stupid like the fecker who drove through the back of me when i was stopped at a red light.

joujoujou wrote: »
    That's an Apoca clamping van isn't it? :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,289 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You can lead a horse to water but your cannot make them drink it.

Why are new cars sold without hands free installed? Why is not not mandatory for this to be the case? EBS is mandatory, so why not hands free?

Most new cars are sold with bluetooth these days. I'm nearly certain the two vehicles above would have it, the VW would anyway. You cannot 100% mitigate for ignorance and stupidity. Having a phone stuck to your face 24x7 seems to be a new low point in human evolution.

Unregistered Users

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,317 ✭✭✭CoBo55

joujoujou wrote: »

Can't bate de aul shamrock!! Powering many a Bora for years!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭Patser

Ah jaysus, he's just invented a whole new level of Full house there.

After a few months of playing Uno myself and my housemates invented a game called Extreme Uno with double hands and brand new rules.

Extreme Driver Poker has just occurred.

Both the driver and the car were smoking the green stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Crock Rock

Mr Snow wrote: »

Fair play to the Gardaí for taking some positive action against speeders.
    Jail sentences and bans all around I hope.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement