Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem deleting files from my Eircom webspace!

Options
  • 18-06-2002 12:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, first time I've posted here but regulars to Ireland Offline's forum will probably know me.

Anyway, bit of a problem. Why the hell can't I delete files/directories from my free Eircom webspace? Using either an FTP program like CuteFTP or Eircom's own web-builder stuff, when I try to delete certain files it tells me I don't have permission to do it. Why is this? They're my files, I should have permission to do whatever I want with them. And it's not about exceeding bandwidth limits or anything either because I haven't done anything with it in months. It's just that I want to clear out the website and files I have there at the moment to put something else up. I was able to delete some things off it but I can't delete the rest and time and again I get this message about not having permission to do it. Also, when I fire up CuteFTP and connect to the Eircom server it says access is restricted and I never got this before either until recently.

Anyone know how to sort this out? Your help would be appreciated.

Cheers!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

What are the "certain files" Aidan? Did you upload them yourself? Sometimes web hosts have system files in their webspace that are used to lock you into your environment (chroot), and because they are "owned" by a user other than yourself, you can't delete them. Ones to watch out for in particular are directories called /etc and /bin. This is deprecated these days, but Eircom's homepage servers are ancient.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

They're just image files (JPEG's) that were part of the website I had up there at the time. I can't delete either the directories they're in or the files within the directories either. I wonder have Eircom put some system files, as you suggessted adam, within those directories and they are hidden or something and I can't delete the files/directories as a result. Got any more advice you could give me, adam?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

If you want to send me your login details I'll have a look Aidan.

adam AT irelandoffline DOT org

adam

Hmmm, do I dare trust adam with my login details? ;)

Okay, I'll e-mail you and make sure I change my password afterwards! lol.

Adam, I think I know what the problem is. I named the files in the directories using square brackets ( [ ] ), e.g., barrable[01].jpg, F40pic[01].jpg, etc. Seems a square bracket's not recognisable and I keep getting "Invalid filename" when I go to delete a file. As a result, I can't delete the files or, therefore, the directories. Does this sound like the problem to you?

Anyway, I've e-mailed Eircom asking them is there a way I can delete them and, if not, would they be able to do it for me if I give them my details. If I don't get any reply from them I'll mail you with my login details and see if there's anything you can do if that's okay, adam?

• Advertisement
Advertisement