Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Politics and Hosting

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

axer wrote:
    Is €35/€40 a year that expensive for hosting?
    Well if someone else is charging 25 then its a rip off. Whats your point. You guys are making out that the politicians are making the decisions on where a site is hosted. That's deliberately miss leading, in all likely hood its someone with a clue and with a fair amount of experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Boston wrote:
    Well if someone else is charging 25 then its a rip off. Whats your point. You guys are making out that the politicians are making the decisions on where a site is hosted. That's deliberately miss leading, in all likely hood its someone with a clue and with a fair amount of experience.
    My point is Irish hosting is not that much more expensive than foreign hosting. €35/€40 is not a huge amount to be paying for hosting. IMO the extra cost is worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

• VPS servers - no one seems to offer these
    • Spam filtering as standard (blacknight have this, 365 do not)
    • Backup service as standard
    If I could get these from an irish supplier to would be great.

Also Stephen your support is nothing to boast about, its takes me over a day on average to get a response from 365 to windows hosting problems ;)

When are the new 365 hosting offers launching?

Hi Brian,

Just looked at your last few tickets, a lot less than a day :) Besides that, we have some really cool innovation on the way, including many of the things on your list and a few more. It's always important to compare apples with apples, running open source filtering tools on email servers is not the same as providing a comprehensive, enterprise grade spam and virus filtering solution.

It's easy to say that off shore hosting is cheap, and, with many providers, it really is. Up until a year ago we were offering dedicated servers from 59.95 euro - they didnt sell - so the market isnt price driven, and as for US hosts having superior infrastructure, I would argue that they dont have anything 'better' they just have 'more' of everything :)

I think a vibrant and engaged hosting / provider community is essential to the development of the general IT/Web scene in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

axer wrote:
    My point is Irish hosting is not that much more expensive than foreign hosting. €35/€40 is not a huge amount to be paying for hosting. IMO the extra cost is worth it.

Worth what though? I have a real problem with native industry which can't compete being support for the shake of it. It just leads to more bad pratice. For example, theres a new gym in Trinity, and theres talk of making everyone members by talking out of the colelge registration fees. So now they don't have to complete for clients its the same old crap service with crap equipment. We shouldn't be arguing for the protectionist stance, especially for IT industry, since we get so much foreign business. The digital age of communications means you have to complete globally.

Advertisement