Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** Feedback wanted on this site **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

Use a better template

Drop the tables use

use header tags

given the limited content on the pages (at least on the front page maybe think about fixed width

menu is jumping about

logo doesn't link to homepage

drop the css into external style sheets

add a site map

add some icons ...

and so on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Short answer: everything

Long answer: dependent on you having the ability to do some/all of the things forbairt has listed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Did you develop this for FireFox only? Its not as bad a mess in firefox as it is in IE....but still

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭kerno

Thanks..
    Any more advice is welcome!
    If anyone would like a nicer to improve it there more than welcome.. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭pauldiv

zAbbo wrote: »
    Short answer: everything

Long answer: dependent on you having the ability to do some/all of the things forbairt has listed.

Agreed. The site looks old and I would be inclined first telephone to get a feeling for the people who run this business. The site does not inspire and I would not be tempted to buy unless you were already an established business with plenty of customers and a good rep.

If you are new and trying to generate new business via your site you are going to need to do better. Much better in fact.

The very least you need is product info like a price, quantity and description for everything in stock.

Pictures sell products and so does good copy. A shopping cart helps too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭kerno

pauldiv wrote: »
    Agreed. The site looks old and I would be inclined first telephone to get a feeling for the people who run this business. The site does not inspire and I would not be tempted to buy unless you were already an established business with plenty of customers and a good rep.

If you are new and trying to generate new business via your site you are going to need to do better. Much better in fact.

The very least you need is product info like a price, quantity and description for everything in stock.

Pictures sell products and so does good copy. A shopping cart helps too.
    The business is actually very well know within the catering sector.. The website is not a big part of the company but with people surfing the net looking for products and shopping online thats why i have decided to change it..There are reasons why the prices and up on the site..And if i were to take pictures of all the products we have listed there would be over 2000+ of them and pointless its as there well established brands ie coke tayto uncle bens etc..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I don't see much wrong with your setup, tbh.

Yes, from a technical point of view, it's a travesty - but it does what is says on the tin. All it needs is a bit of a facelift. Changing the green of the menu and grey(s) of the page to something more aesthetically pleasing would make a huge difference. Also making the top navigation links bold will stop the whole menu from flickering every time someone mouse-overs it.

Just my 2 cents. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yeah, it's ok considering what it does.
    It meets the main thing imo - what the customer is looking for when visiting; products and contact information.

Other
    Shaky dropdowns in IE
    Remove FF link, just because you love it doesn't mean you should push it.

m2c

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

It's okay, but it doesn't look like a professional site. It doesn't make your business look organised or established.

So, it might be okay for existing clients, but for potential clients I don't think it sends out the message that I would like to do business with this company.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭pauldiv

If you have an established customer base then that is great.
    In that case a graphical makeover would be simple enough and you could work on the branding etc. This would help to make the site more memorable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

There are plenty of free site templates out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Pixelcraft

You could make your application forms part of the website rather than PDF's - same goes for product lists, also the website could do with a design of some sort!

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭loloray

Just some other simpley stuff that I think wasn't mentioned (sorry other posters I scanned quickly through your answers).
    - I would put the contact info down the bottom, as is standard online.
    - Bigger font
    - Arrange menu options evenly across the menu bar (all the way across, not just at lhs)
    - 'Login' is grey - which looks like it isn't a clickable option . . . but it is although my mouse doesn't highlight it when I move over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭flanree

has all the visual allure of a Superquinn 'thrift' pack of tea bags. Remember them? THAT'S THRIFT!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 IrishBusiness

i was only reminscing about Thrift the other day - the black and white colour combo, a classic :rolleyes:

did it have an exclamation mark at the end? - "Thrift!" :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭flanree

yeah, exclamation was there. If I remember correctly the little blurb printed on each product read: This product costs less because we've saved on packaging and advertising: THAT'S THRIFT!

Ah Fergal, what a classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

From a content point of view, this is only a small thing but your capitalisation in the drop-down menus is inconsistent: under 'Downloads' 'Account application forms' only has the first word capitalised whereas 'Product List' has both. The same under 'Contact'; ideally I'd do it like so:
    Details and Map
    Send Us an Order
    Request a Price List
    Site Feedback

Also I would lose the comma after 'canteens' on the front page.
    Like I say these are only small things but they jumped out at me immediately. I nitpick for a living and it's impossible not to notice these things!

Advertisement