Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Championship 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭sodacat11

mikhail wrote: »
    And how do you establish that? We're not professionals. Real life intervenes sometimes. If I had to drop out of a tournament because a family member was ill or there was a work emergency and was sanctioned for it, I'd be less than impressed.

Obviously there are genuine cases and the Controller would have to decide if the withdrawal was merited.
    There is nothing more annoying (ignored rating floors and Rory Mc Ilroy apart) than turning up for a game , waiting an hour, then getting a forfeit. Situations such as we had in the final round of Bunratty this year where a number of players didn't turn up because they were out on the piss shouldn't be tolerated. In my experience organisers are always very accommodating where a bye is concerned, once they are given sufficient notice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

If there's a sanction for withdrawing unless there's a good reason, some players would just get very good at fabricating reasons; I'm not sure I'd like to see controllers demanding doctor's notes. On the other hand, I expect it'd be workable to simply deny players the ability to play in two overlapping events (however they arranged it). It seems a small issue to me, but then I'm rarely playing at the level where it seems to come up.

It'd be important for us that FIDE not word any such rule such that league players are banned from playing in other FIDE rated events September-May. That'd soon put paid to FIDE rating the leagues.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Really enjoyed the preview article on the ICU website. Well done!

cdeb wrote: »
    Really enjoyed the preview article on the ICU website. Well done!

Yes very good! Obviously a lot of work went into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭reunion

Are the games going to be live streamed?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Tim Harding

The plan was to have some games live but something went wrong today. I don't know what the problem was, as I was arbiting the Major, where the top games are being done on the Chess Spectator system.
    Hopefully some Championship games will be live tomorrow but maybe Retd. L. Capt. can advise?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭macelligott

Still no live games in the championship. I hope the problem gets solved soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Retd.LoyolaCpt

Still no live games in the championship. I hope the problem gets solved soon.

Working on it.

Baburin won
    Boards 2-3 still playing.
    Li vs Wall draw
    5-7 still playing.
    TOG won
    Cafolla vs Delaney Draw
    Peter Carroll with the shock of the round so far beating Gordon.
    11-12 still playing
    PON beat Shane - another Club derby shock
    Kennedy Nemeth draw
    Butler beat Keogh
    16-17 still playing
    Rush beat Scott

Working on it.

Baburin won
    Boards 2-3 still playing.
    Li vs Wall draw
    5-7 still playing.
    TOG won
    Cafolla vs Delaney Draw
    Peter Carroll with the shock of the round so far beating Gordon.
    11-12 still playing
    PON beat Shane - another Club derby shock
    Kennedy Nemeth draw
    Butler beat Keogh
    16-17 still playing
    Rush beat Scott

Filling in some blanks:
    Lopez beat Daly,
    Murray beat Brady,
    GOC beat AOG,
    Jessel beat Mihailo
    Bourached beat D Nolan

Will there be live coverage today?

• Advertisement

Ivan will be trying to get the first 5 boards going with Gerry assisting remotely before today's games.

Ivan will be trying to get the first 5 boards going with Gerry assisting remotely before today's games.

With so many chess players working in I.T surely someone could be able to get it sorted.
    I presume there are good reasons why the system wasn't tried out the day before the tournament started.

Any updates on likelihood of live games :-)

Any updates on likelihood of live games :-)

Touch and go. 30% confident today, 90% confident for tomorrow.

Progress.. I think we are there

I can see boards 1, 2, 3 and 5 so far.

It was not self-evident that you had to click into the blue title bar to get the drop-down menu and select the games.

Any hope of getting board 4 going?

Good; now I have board 4 also. Have posted link on the English forum.

Some moves need to be corrected in the Lopez - Collins game - beginning move 31

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭Joedryan

Some moves need to be corrected in the Lopez - Collins game - beginning move 31
    Yes its a mess, but assuming the final position is correct White looks just winning now.

After Rxf8+ it looks like curtains.

Joedryan wrote: »
    Yes its a mess, but assuming the final position is correct White looks just winning now.
    Looks liked game score Lopez - Collins was fixed but went wrong again.
    But Murphy - O’Connel game score is a bit dodgy as well

• Advertisement

If game score is right, how to explain 46 b3 blundering White's crucial extra pawn?
    Or had Alex calculated a winning king and pawn ending? We shall see soon.

It's a pity we don't have clock times in that game. I hope it can be fixed for tomorrow.

b3 looks like an excellent move. Check on d3 being vital.

yes looked a very smooth effort from Alex, very impressive

It’s a pity you are not playing Joe.

b3 looks like an excellent move. Check on d3 being vital.

Well you are right, because my first comment was rather superficial. Obviously the check on d3 cannot be overlooked; the deep point seems to be that Black cannot avoid giving way with his K eventually after 55 h3.
    So I suppose it was a kind of trap, but if Black rejected the pawn then c3-c4 and a squeeze was following.

It’s a pity you are not playing Joe.
    Family commitments, would have loved to also, fantastic Irish this year.

Tom O'Gorman got greedy, low on time and having rejected numerous repetitions, he overlooked 92...b3.
    Now it's White who has to try and save the game.
    Great defence by Stephen Moran for nearly six hours.

You have to feel sorry for Tom but the tablebase shows there was no way back for him after the disastrous 92 Ke3 with the N stranded on a6. The old saying about knights on the edge proved once more.

Credit to Stephen who had his back to the wall for 60 moves until then.

Draw up for round 4 now. Apologies for the live board issues up until today - there will be ten live boards from tomorrow. All set up already. Clock issues resolved on board 2.

• Advertisement

Due in bright and early on Saturday morning - confirmed as of last night.

I was just reading the minutes of the FIDE Arbiters Commission last meeting in Athens at the end of June (see http://arbiters.fide.com/) where one of the issues that came up was precisely this issue of players "hopping between tournaments", i.e. not finishing one because they weren't doing especially well and moving to another where the dates overlapped.

An email from an IA was discussed who noticed two other players who (like the Irish FM in this case) had entered overlapping events so that switching between them was clearly premeditated. He said "I think, as a rule, a player who leaves a tournament in progress, should not be allowed to play in any other tournament, as long as the tournament he has left is still in progress."

The meeting decided that: "This concern should be addressed to the FIDE Events Commission and/or the FIDE Rules Commission" at Batumi.

My question(s) for ICU is: how long have they known about this situation, did they consider refusing the entry from the player concerned, and in future will they bring in a regulation to prevent any recurrence?

(I appreciate that they may not want to reply on the Board about this, especially as the Irish Championship has not yet started, but in that case it should be dealt with in one of the officers' reports to the agm.)

Just reading back on the thread and saw this. Its a delicate issue but I tend to agree, some South American players were banned from the Summer Catalunya circuit for similar behaviour.
    That said I've taken about 3 mins to come up with this staunch opinion. But seems to make sense.

Advertisement