Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GOing on Archeology digs out of interest.

Options
  • 18-07-2004 5:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭

Im interested i narcheology.

Does anyone know of any digs you can help out on, or whatever. Even voluntarily, or the like.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Browny

I wish I could help with a straightforward answer, but I don't know first-hand of any sites now.

But have you tried contacting any local historical/archaeological societies? They often have news of local digs and could perhaps put you in touch with the right people.

Or, if you live near a university, contact their history department : I was able to visit a few sites this way, although at the time I wasn't able to join in.

Or, perhaps someone at the Heritage Council could put you in touch with someone involved in a dig - www.heritagecouncil.ie?

I suppose the best way to get involved would be to take some archaeology classes yourself - not an option for me unfortunately, and not for many of us, but it's an idea. Many of the folks I met on sites years ago were students.

Best of luck, and perhaps post if you find anything? I'd love to find out more too, and wish other projects weren't so pressing.

B.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 jt

rander00
    Put together a cv, google search (or google thaddeus breen - he has comprehensive list of companies) irish archaeology firms, email your cv to them, lots of excavations now require a Safepass card so you would need to do the 1 day course.
    You can start as a volunteer or what's called a General operative (basically shovelling, wheel barrow work) but anybody with basic common sense and an open mind (ie willing to learn) can get on in field archaeology.
    There are loads of digs on right now, so do the cv thing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Rogue Art

If you are looking to do the Safepass so that you can work on digs, I can reccomend the trainer that I used. There were also a number of other archaeological workers on the course the day that I did it.

You can book places with this trainer by e-mailing 'mike.orourke@marsh.com' of by phoning him on 087-9060198.

Rogue Art

• Registered Users Posts: 7 GloriaH

There's an archaeology field school based in Achill - as well as running courses I think they also organise practical digs for students.
    www.achill-fieldschool.com

Advertisement