Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baku Olympiad

Options
12346»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,149 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

A reminder that today's final round started much earlier than usual (9am Irish I think?), so we're well into today's games, albeit with no real advantage showing on any board as yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

cdeb wrote: »
    A reminder that today's final round started much earlier than usual (9am Irish I think?), so we're well into today's games, albeit with no real advantage showing on any board as yet.

Mark and Stephen have a lot of moves to make in a very short time to make the controls. Conor's opponent is the one under time-pressure in that game.

Already 1-1 in the Women's - a win for Poornima and a loss for Alice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭reunion

Gearoidin missed 67 Qd6 ..... followed by 68. Qxg6+ surely a winning move.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Joedryan

What was going on there? Ukraine celebrating like they had Gold but later I see USA have it? Bizarre stuff, but why should we be surprised.

Personally I'm not a great fan of the match points system for Olympiads, although it does add a bit of interest and add a lot of extra work to team captains :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭sodacat11

Joedryan wrote: »
    What was going on there? Ukraine celebrating like they had Gold but later I see USA have it? Bizarre stuff, but why should we be surprised.

What a joke. It would be more accurate to say that Italy, Japan and the Phillipines won it!
    International sport is supposed to be about the people from different countries competing against each other. It becomes meaningless when the teams are full of "imports". There is no way that the U.S.A is the strongest chess nation on Earth.

In fairness, Nakamura has been living in the US since he was 2.

Agree on the other two though. It's like international football with an open chequebook.

Edit - actually, Caruana was born in the US and lived there till he was 12, and seems to have never lived in Italy.

sodacat11 wrote: »
    Joedryan wrote: »

What a joke. It would be more accurate to say that Italy, Japan and the Philippines won it!
    International sport is supposed to be about the people from different countries competing against each other. It becomes meaningless when the teams are full of "imports". There is no way that the U.S.A is the strongest chess nation on Earth.

How do you determine strongest chess nation on earth? Internationally it's the team that wins the Olympiad which would be the USA. Sure they don't have the 5 highest rated players but ratings just mean how likely someone is to win a match - it doesn't determine the result.

This is how every sport in the world operates. We have Alex Baburin, a Russian born GM playing as our board 1! At least the below team has lived and earned their rating points/titles in the US (except So)!

Caruana - born and lived in the US
    Nakamura - Mother was american and moved to the US when he was 2
    So - Transfered to the US when he started college. Has US adoptive parents, was a minor when he wanted to transfer
    Shankland - born in the US
    Robson - Born in Guam - an american territory

The only person you could have an issue with would be So. However he transferred from the Philippines legally (also to note the Philippines used to be an American territory).

Worth noting Baburin was an IM when he came to Ireland - he earned his GM title while affiliated to Ireland.

But a valid comparison otherwise. (Though I don't how relevant the Philippines comment at the end is). Although our good friend Mr Daly had an EGM called when Baburin moved to try keep him off the Olympiad team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭ComDubh

Although our good friend Mr Daly had an EGM called when Baburin moved to try keep him off the Olympiad team.

Some people feel that the Irish team should be for Irish passport holders and NI British passport holders only. So the team is open to anyone who qualifies for, and is awarded, such a passport. It's a reasonable point of view.

• Advertisement

ComDubh wrote: »
    Some people feel that the Irish team should be for Irish passport holders and NI British passport holders only. So the team is open to anyone who qualifies for, and is awarded, such a passport. It's a reasonable point of view.

What's the argument to go against international standards?

You can buy Irish passports. With people being able to move freely throughout the EU, I don't think the same viewpoint should be considered today.

At least if they are IRL registered with FIDE, they have made their case to their original federation and the ICU as to why they should transfer.
    (Though I don't how relevant the Philippines comment at the end is).

Just figured since it used to be a US territory that it mightn't be unreasonable for an individual to have a connection to the US or entitlement to US citizenship.

Each federation has its own rules on that, there is no international standard as such.

Well there are FIDE regulations I suppose, which are pretty lax. I think Ireland still has the switching Federation and living for 2 years rule unless its been changed recently. Its fair enough IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭brilliantboy

I wonder how many of the people upset at USA's win forget that Russia's board 1 was produced in the Ukraine :rolleyes:

I wonder how many of the people upset at USA's win forget that Russia's board 1 was produced in the Ukraine :rolleyes:

he should have stayed with the Ukraine and he might have a gold medal now :)

Write up in the Guardian - didn't realise how close the title decision was. Came down to the final board in Estonia v Germany, which ended in a time-trouble blunder, handing the title from Russia to the US on tie-break.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Tim Harding

Write up in the Guardian - didn't realise how close the title decision was. Came down to the final board in Estonia v Germany, which ended in a time-trouble blunder, handing the title from Russia to the US on tie-break.

Yes, there have been many complaints about the tie-break system and this has been discussed on chess24 and the ChessBase site. There will be calls for change before next time, I expect.
    Had the head-to-head match been first tiebreak, the US would have won of course. In the last round they would also have been comfortably ahead if they had won 3-1 but Shankland's loss to Hansen on bottom board almost cost the gold medal because the narrow last round win was only worth 2.5 x Canada's game points.

Advertisement