Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it rude to recline?

Options
  • 04-09-2019 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭

Saw this on youtube earlier:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zkybrp6cgO4

Made me think about how common an experience it is to have the back of someones seat in my face when im on a plane, it happens probably 80% of the time when i travel nowadays.

one time a fella turned around and gave me a heads up, which was nice. most of the time it happens the moment the plane takes off and occasionally causes disruption, like getting water spliied all over me as im mid-gulp or getting smacked in the face as im getting something out of the compartment on the back of the seat.

In my view it's pretty rude to do it without at least turning around and giving a nod, and especially if it's a tall person behind you who's got feck all leg room in the first place.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,155 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Just dont do it during food service, turbulence, take off or landing. Otherwise the seat is there to be reclined.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Always give a heads-up before reclining, never recline on a short haul, only on a night flight and even then only after food and drink service.

The real criminals are the airlines who don't give human beings over five foot a comfortable pocket of space and expect them to stay in a state of misery for hours on end. One of the few pluses of being small is being comfortable in an economy seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I'll pay extra to sit in the emergency aisle seats, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,929 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I never recline my seat on a plane. And I don’t like it when the person in front of me does it.

That said, reclining is a legitimate feature of the seats, and passengers are entitled to use the feature provided. I don’t actually think someone should be expected to give a heads up that they’re going to do it. I really don’t like interacting with people on planes, and I’d be pissed off of someone made me take my headphones off just so they could tell me that they were going to tilt their seat back.

I do remember on a horrible Bus Eireann bus years ago, some sham in front of me reclined his seat right into my knees. I kicked the seat back upright without saying a word to him. He didn’t try it again. That’s a perfectly acceptable thing to do on a bus, though. I wouldn’t do that on a plane.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭bitofabind

Candie wrote: »
    Always give a heads-up before reclining, never recline on a short haul, only on a night flight and even then only after food and drink service.

these etiquette things are never abided by though, at least in my experience. i travel mainly short-haul and experience it all the time, usually the minute the plane takes off and zero shytes given if ive got my tray down and am eating/drinking or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I’m 6’3, I only recline on transatlantic and I always check behind me incense the meal is done.
    No problem with it being done in front of me either, if you don’t bring it forward for the food service you’re getting told.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I thought this was going to be about Rees-Mogg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

They can recline for a reason. Back it goes the minute I’m allowed to do so. Then crack open a beer and get down to watching some movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭wench

The lack of reclining is one of the best features of Ryanair.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I'll recline if the seat allows sure why not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭anacc

I travel a lot, there’s been years where I’ve taken 80+ flights in that year. I just want to listen to music and relax when I’m on a flight. Reclining takes a good bit of pressure off the neck, so I will recline no matter what anybody else thinks. I don’t care if someone else in front of me reclines. It really doesn’t take up that much room. It’s not like someone is sitting on your lap.

Also one of the reasons I hate Ryanair because you can’t recline.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

Obviously this is only an issue in cattle class, and not in business or first class. It’s always worth the extra money to upgrade to business class.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,800 ✭✭✭appledrop

There is absolutely no need to recline on a short flight.

No airline should allow anyone to recline on a long haul flight during the main meal especially when day time flight. I was on a transatlantic flight before + was half way through meal + gob****e in front wacked back the seat. Half the items went flying + not even an apology.

That's the height of ignorance. By all means on nighttime flight after meal fair enough but otherwise no need for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Obviously this is only an issue in cattle class, and not in business or first class. It’s always worth the extra money to upgrade to business class.

You've obviously experienced the perks of sitting up front in the Hiace. Can't be bouncing down back with the donkey.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

If they incline it easier to come over their hair

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭anacc

Never once have I seen “stuff go flying” because someone in front reclined. The tray table doesn’t move when someone reclines and you’d want to be some clown to have your bottle or glass jammed up against the seat in front anyway. The way some people talk about it you’d think someone has turned around and smacked a glass out of your hand and gave a clatter across the face.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,029 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I remember going on a plane with my little boy, his first time. He was only 5.
    He was tapping the seat in front of him with his foot (not kicking it like a brat, more of a nervous twitch).
    A woman turned around and aggressively told him to stop.
    I could understand her annoyance but a little gentle 'hey, little guy will you stop your tapping?' would have been a better approach.
    We were only going to London, so she wasn't stressed I should think.
    He was really wounded and fell silent for the rest of the flight :(

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

You've obviously experienced the perks of sitting up front in the Hiace. Can't be bouncing down back with the donkey.

Is this some sort of culchie parable? I haven’t a clue what point you are trying to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭pl4ichjgy17zwd

anacc wrote:
    Never once have I seen “stuff go flying†because someone in front reclined. The tray table doesn’t move when someone reclines and you’d want to be some clown to have your bottle or glass jammed up against the seat in front anyway. The way some people talk about it you’d think someone has turned around and smacked a glass out of your hand and gave a clatter across the face.

The table definitely moves. The whole seat in front jerks. Someone did it to me after leaving their tray in an empty seat without considering that others still have theirs. My entire tray was upturned against my stomach and the half-full cup went flying.

I fooking hate ryanair

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Abba987

The table definitely moves. The whole seat in front jerks. Someone did it to me after leaving their tray in an empty seat without considering that others still have theirs. My entire tray was upturned against my stomach and the half-full cup went flying.

Isnt it attached to the seat? Its bound to move alright

I'm 183cm small.....

I get off a plane in agony just like when I get off a bus.....

The seats are shocking.....

The very few times I've been on a plane with recliner seats was a dream to anything else even though they were still quite cramped.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,800 ✭✭✭appledrop

anacc wrote: »
    Never once have I seen “stuff go flying” because someone in front reclined. The tray table doesn’t move when someone reclines and you’d want to be some clown to have your bottle or glass jammed up against the seat in front anyway. The way some people talk about it you’d think someone has turned around and smacked a glass out of your hand and gave a clatter across the face.

Well you must not fly a lot so. Of course the table moves. When someone reclines it slants back + things fly off it especially when dope in front does so with no warning.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

People who recline should be shot, dead. That is all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

I'm 6'2" and have hauled ass on several transatlantic flights so far this year, doing about 200k miles in total over the past 2 years. The majority of that travel has been long haul, in the economy cabin. I'd say most folks recline for a period over the course of a lengthy flight & for the most part it's all done with little attendant fuss - no fistfights, kicking of seats or the promise of pistols at dawn.

I honestly don't recognise the descriptions of physical torment some seem to have experienced - I've certainly never been hobbled, knee capped or put through bodily pain akin to a crucifixion by the person in front gaining the most marginal of benefit by adjusting their seating position just a touch.

But because carriers look to squeeze yet more profit from finite cabin space (by reducing seat pitch / width & even adding seats to their already cramped configuration), the recliner perceives that extra bit of room as making far more of a difference than it does in reality & likewise the person sitting behind feels their personal space is being hugely compromised by the fairly minor encroachment of the passenger in front.

As for reclining on short haul, someone may be connecting inbound to Ireland after a mammoth schlep from Hong Kong or LA & then have to hop into a car to drive an hour or two down the road. Row 13 on an EI A320 guarantees nobody can recline in front of you or just plump for FR if you cannot abide the practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭FarmerBrowne

Was just about to post this, good old David Senior, the soup is super!!

cournioni wrote: »
    People who recline should be shot, dead. That is all.

Mods should ban you.... ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

paid for a reclining seat.

all rights reserved.

Advertisement