Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safeguarding against next construction recession

Options
  • 04-09-2019 8:51pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭

I’m currently a mid 20s Quantity surveyor in Dublin. Pays well enough at €60K and I’ve just about 5 years experience.

I’m trying to future-proof myself against the next downturn that will inevitably come (and also have an escape plan to get out of construction or start my own thing)

Are there any construction professionals on here who done the same - masters or postgrads for 1 year (couldn’t see myself doing any more than that) part time to turn to after the last downturn in 2009 onwards?

Don’t like quantity surveying at all anyway to be honest. Would rather get out of it before I’m 30 which is optimistic. And it wouldn’t be a career in construction industry full stop.

I’d be interested to hear any recommendations on courses online or that through the universities here. I’ve looked most of them up.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

I worked with a former architect and a former engineer of some construction type both of whom became software developers. I also taught one of them.

There are one year hdips in lots of colleges around the country. Lots are springboard courses which means the state sponsors you. They are intended specifically for people who need to change skillsets to get work.

Right now if you were out of work then it would be worth looking into. I see little benefit doing one preemptively though. There is a high volume of work, and you'd forget most of it. What would be worth doing is learning programming as a hobby. You'd get an idea of whether you'd like it and if you have an aptitude for it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

I worked with a former architect and a former engineer of some construction type both of whom became software developers. I also taught one of them.

There are one year hdips in lots of colleges around the country. Lots are springboard courses which means the state sponsors you. They are intended specifically for people who need to change skillsets to get work.

Right now if you were out of work then it would be worth looking into. I see little benefit doing one preemptively though. They're is a high volume of work, and you'd forget most of it. What would be worth doing is learning programming as a hobby. You'd get an idea of whether you'd like it and if you have an aptitude for it.

Yeah I tried messing around with it last year. Can see why it’s high paid but it’s a bit of a head melt. Wasn’t my cup of tea!! Thanks though

Advertisement