Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst international accent?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

The "California Valley girl' type accent is grating. But maybe that's to do with me associating it with privilege and ignorance.

The London (think North) one of innit, blud, wicked, massive, blud.

Closer to home. The Louth accent is an ugly mess. Hai.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,474 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Raconteuse wrote: »
    They're just being silly. As if they don't watch plenty of American tv and film and don't even notice. And "American accent" - there are hundreds of them.
    A 'nasally, whiny' American accent doesn't sound as bad if it's surrounded by other similar nasally, whiny American accents but add it with a group of Irish people talking (for example) and it sounds a lot worse. Then again, an English accent in a group of Americans can sound like they're hamming it up, but it's just due to the contrast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭I see sheep

Perth

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Mongolian isn't easy on the ears

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Have to agree with indian accent. Accents generally dont bother me but indian accents are the only one that can lessen my attraction to somebody

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

murpho999 wrote: »
    Australian for me.
    Some of them have a high pitch inflection at the end of a sentence, so every sentence ends up sounding like a question. New Zealanders sound like Aussies on helium.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

This guy does loads of accents. Irish one is first.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,094 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

New Zealand accent is dreadful.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

New Zealand

namloc1980 wrote: »
    New Zealand accent is dreadful.

and funny at the same time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,435 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

LirW wrote: »
    Dutch, hands down.
    El Tarangu wrote: »
    A crying shame is the fact that Italian women are very beautiful, but then their accent is awful (when speaking either English or Italian).

A strong Dutch accent is very off-putting as well, as mentioned by a previous poster.

Have to agree with this also.

Lived in The Netherlands and speak fluent Dutch. When they speak Dutch it's grand but when they switch to English it sounds awful.

Birmingham accent can be a chore.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

I don’t know where Berti Ahern was from but that was one woeful accent !

And then he would lie to you constantly to make it even worse !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭victor8600

Generally, I find all accents interesting, and some utterly hilarious. I speak with a Russian accent myself though and a really bad Russian accent annoys me as it reminds me of my own pronunciation errors. One the other hand, several women told me that they find my accent sexy.

In general, I find that even a "bad" accent can sound very nice if the person's voice is pleasant.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,202 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

murpho999 wrote: »
    Have to agree with this also.

Lived in The Netherlands and speak fluent Dutch. When they speak Dutch it's grand but when they switch to English it sounds awful.

but that "yesh" accent isn't universal to dutch people. i've a mate from limburg who doesn't speak like that at all. according to him it is only people fromt he province of holland that have that accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,435 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

but that "yesh" accent isn't universal to dutch people. i've a mate from limburg who doesn't speak like that at all. according to him it is only people fromt he province of holland that have that accent.

It's not so much about the "yesh" it's the strong accent.

Limburg accent is very different all right, they speak with the "zachte G" or "soft G" as opposed to the guttaral G that people in North and South Holland would speak.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

Yeah I have clients from west Africa and bloody hell....

Even hearing them tell you they are in good form sounds like you are about to get your head kicked in.

I wonder how they pull of those 419/advance fee scams

• Registered Users Posts: 4,215 ✭✭✭bullpost

Was waiting in a hotel lobby for someone a good few years ago - nice hotel Dublin City centre.

An absolutely stunning woman came down the stairs and you could see she immediately had everyones attention.

She walked to reception and started talking in a broad north of england accent. It killed the moment and faces dropped all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

Romanian, if I hear this accent directed at me then I know there is something they want from me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭InTheShadows

Black rap wanna be accents. Speaking like they driving a Ferrari yet living in mammies boxroom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Nordie. I cant listen to any of them. "Communiddy Sitchyachun"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Portuguese, especially being spoken by Brazilian people. Boy, are they loud!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Luxembourgish

Sounds like an Ulster Protestant speaking German

Very harsh sounding. You think a fight is going to kick off any minute

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

mikemac2 wrote: »
    Luxembourgish

Sounds like an Ulster Protestant speaking German

Very harsh sounding. You think a fight is going to kick off any minute

Typical Liechtensteiner ignorance.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Bogan Australian (Bonus points if they're cashed up miners from WA).

Was stuck next to a bogan couple in their mid-40s on a long-haul flight recently. The guy was about 25 stone, wearing a stained wifebeater with 'Bali' printed on it and a Freemantle Dockers baseball hat. The wife wasn't much better. I honestly wanted to storm the cockpit and put the plane into a nosedive into the Ural Mountains.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Anus Von Skidmark

The stereotypical Indian / Pakistani accent is incredibly hard on the ears.

The Kiwis with their grand total of about two vowel sounds can be tough to understand at times, but the accent isn't as offensive as Indian / Pakistani.

That accent you hear in London (not a cockney accent, but the one used by black and chav youth) where the speaker doesn't sound like a native speaker of English at all - it just sounds horrible.

I quite like the sound of Spanish speakers and Persian speakers when they speak English.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Yurt! wrote: »
    Bogan Australian (Bonus points if they're cashed up miners from WA).

Was stuck next to a bogan couple in their mid-40s on a long-haul flight recently. The guy was about 25 stone, wearing a stained wifebeater with 'Bali' printed on it and a Freemantle Dockers baseball hat. The wife wasn't much better. I honestly wanted to storm the cockpit and put the plane into a nosedive into the Ural Mountains.

All he was missing there was a corked hat

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Raconteuse wrote: »
    But the most annoying by far for me is not international - it's the sythe Dublin one.

If that's meant to be a phonetic representation of the South Dublin accent you're doing a terrible job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Anus Von Skidmark

Earthhorse wrote: »
    If that's meant to be a phonetic representation of the South Dublin accent you're doing a terrible job.

Sounds pretty accurate to me! Take a roysh at the ryndabysh and head sythe as far as Bisherstyne!

Advertisement