Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aul wuns at the Checkout Till

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

What also annoys me intensely is when they're going around with their trolley and abandon it at the middle top of the aisle and then go looking down the aisle while the trolley is in the way of everyone else. Then you have the instances where a worker has their stock trolley in the middle of the aisle (that's fine) but then an abandoned shopping trolley at either side of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,562 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

What also annoys me intensely is when they're going around with their trolley and abandon it at the middle top of the aisle and then go looking down the aisle while the trolley is in the way of everyone else. Then you have the instances where a worker has their stock trolley in the middle of the aisle (that's fine) but then an abandoned shopping trolley at either side of it.

Take the opportunity to drop one or two small items into the trolley, when they are not looking. Much jollification at the checkout later. I don't think it breaks any law.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,790 ✭✭✭Odelay

Drop boxes of condoms and fanny pads in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭facehugger99

It's the sheer self-centered ignorance of most of them that I can't get my head around. I can understand someone forgetting something and having to go back for it but to not even acknowledge that you are delaying a line of other people with a mumbled apology or something is just rude.

Most of the aul-biddy time-thieves don't give a **** about anyone else other than themselves.

It's the sheer self-centered ignorance of most of them that I can't get my head around. I can understand someone forgetting something and having to go back for it but to not even acknowledge that you are delaying a line of other people with a mumbled apology or something is just rude.

Most of the aul-biddy time-thieves don't give a **** about anyone else other than themselves.

There's a word for that sort of behaviour: "obstinate". Bringing two items to the queue, not doing the mental arithmetic & then looking surprised when asked for money is galling. Particularly when the coppers are pain-stakingly placed on the counter. I've witnessed this ritual many times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭thunderdog

Had one last night. Paid for her shopping, no major issues so far but she then proceeded to check through her bill (full shop) while waiting directly at the till. I asked her to move as I was next in line and I couldn’t pack my shopping away. She looked at me disgruntled and moved about 5 or 6 inches, still at the till.

Myself and the checkout girl looked at each other in disbelief as she had to scan my items and hand them directly to me to put in my trolley as we had to wait for this aul wan to check through her bill!

I have no problem people checking their bill but move out of the way so the next person can get in! We have places to be

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I love when I get a narky impatient ****e behind me. I'm not slow, but some people are just impatient tools, huffing and puffing as if they are heading to a G7 Conference or something.

If you are that important, you'll have hired help to do your shopping for you, otherwise, you are just Johnny Ordinary same as the rest of us.

When I know there is a nark like that, I invariably slow down and start foostering around and if they dare say anything to me or huff and puff, I ate the head off them! They often get a shock at being told they can fcking wait. Can be good stress relief. Treat as you are treated is my motto.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,751 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

anewme wrote: »
    Johnny Ordinary

Johnny Ordinary Rings would be a terrible crisp idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭dubstepper

As for the aul wans (and aul fellas), leave em off enjoy their shopping and more power to them.

Growing old is a privilege denied to many.

In fairness you can feel your youth slipping away while some aul one searches for the 2 euro off Fairy liquid voucher buried in her purse (which in turn is buried in her bag).

• Registered Users Posts: 16,074 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I am an auld wan , I have my card and vouchers ready and my shopping organised on the belt . They come down in order as I organised them and into bags I have open and ready . We are not all thick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,790 ✭✭✭Odelay

I love when I get a narky impatient ****e behind me. I'm not slow, but some people are just impatient tools, huffing and puffing as if they are heading to a G7 Conference or something.

If you are that important, you'll have hired help to do your shopping for you, otherwise, you are just Johnny Ordinary same as the rest of us.

When I know there is a nark like that, I invariably slow down and start foostering around and if they dare say anything to me or huff and puff, I ate the head off them! They often get a shock at being told they can fcking wait. Can be good stress relief. Treat as you are treated is my motto.

Yeaaaaah..... no you don’t.

Odelay wrote: »
    Yeaaaaah..... no you don’t.

Why on earth would you think I would not say that? I don't see it as a big deal at all.

While it's nice to be nice, if someone is being rude, I would be rude back. Huffing and puffing I would tell them to cop onto themselves and have a bit of manners.

If someone is standing almost on top of you in the queue, which is another method of trying to hurry people up, I turn around and say, "stop standing up my back."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Infernal Racket

Why on earth would you think I would not say that? I don't see it as a big deal at all.

While it's nice to be nice, if someone is being rude, I would be rude back. Huffing and puffing I would tell them to cop onto themselves and have a bit of manners.

If someone is standing almost on top of you in the queue, which is another method of trying to hurry people up, I turn around and say, "stop standing up my back."

Stop standing up my back????

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

Graces7 wrote: »
    If you go into a Post Office on pension day morning you deserve all you get, frankly! Everyone knows what it is like... walk on by and come back later

This ^^^

Also best avoided on Mickey Money day... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

So it's not just me.

So how this scenario ALWAYS plays out in my local Tesco

Oul dear in front of me, let's say in her 60's, puts her basket of shopping down, bleeped through, then will ask the foreign lad on the till for the most obscure pack of cigarettes known to man. After lad pointing at every single pack she decides on the most obvious pack

Then we move on to Euro millions

Then to Irish lotto

Then to check previous tickets for winners

Then we move on to scratch cards

Then we move on to packing up shopping

I HAVEN'T GOT THE TIME OR PATIENTS FOR THIS YOU SELFISH FCUKER. DO ALL THIS BEFORE 4.30

You've been caught behind my mother in law haven't you. I feel your pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Checkout aul wans at the till - disgusting

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

Gerry G wrote: »
    Sure where better to moan than on here?

Hold my beer....

I’ll tell you what I want to see. A drug-free till. When I walk into a shop, i want to put my food down on the till, tap my card, and fvck right off to mind my own business.

Instead, I have to wait while the shopkeeper fvcks around with the machine to grab your fags, then fvcks around trying to get whatever gambling item you want to waste your money on. Then there’s the other 3 people also in front of me who came in to buy their vodka because it’s Friday so of course they’re getting sh!t-faced.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Salthillprom

What drives me absolutely loo-lah is when some biddy is at the checkout and half her items are scanned through and she suddenly remembers that she forgot to get an item. And then heads off back down the shop to retrieve said item. Meanwhile you've to stand there for minutes on end waiting for her to return with her jar of beetroot or whatever.
    And THEN you're into the bag rummaging for wallet and further bag rummaging for vouchers. Give me patience!

Gerry G wrote: »

Stop standing up my back????

Yep, invasion of personal space, would also ask them if they were trying for a jockey back ( now theres aul wan speak)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭McCrack

Another annoying thing is taking up the whole conveyer belt with their stuff widely spread out the whole length or the ones that start their unpacking at the start of the conveyer belt with a big gap between the customer in front so you can't put your stuff on

Bloody aul ones

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

beejee wrote: »
    I don't blame people for these amateur assumptions, however you simply must be corrected.

Whereas you believe you will be able to evade my god-inspiring aged muscular frame by shopping online, you've forgotten about my future skill of transcending physicality.

Like a pop-up virus, just as you're about to check out online, I'll exert minimal contraction of the shin muscles thus obscuring your screen, simultaneously imparting snow-blindness from my bleached 120 year old leg.

You forgot that, didn't ye. They all do.

I'll use an Apple computer, so no viruses.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

aul wan today ahead of me had about 30 lotto slips to be checked :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,275 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

fryup wrote: »

Any winners?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭Damien360

fryup wrote: »

It's the scratch cards that are worse. An awful lot of old people seem to get those. And the amount of aul wans that have to scratch each ticket they get at the bloody counter is ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Rufeo

I always go to the self service tills. But then I suppose I am going to Tesco. And only shop a few items at a time. Usually I go in late at night as well.

I don't like interacting with the checkout staff. God I am so unsociable. One time I went to the checkout, the woman started chatting to me, like I wasn't into chatting to her, but then I started to notice her looking at me every time I went intp the shop after that. I thought maybe it's cos I had a funny shaped head. Yes that must be it. Anyhow, I started to look at her more closely. She had a cracking body on her. Arra, then one day I was chatting to her again and asked her if she was living with her family here, and she said she had a boyfriend. Strangest woman I ever knew! But great figure and lovely high cheekbones. *Sighs

God, that was a real tangent. Haha

Rufeo wrote: »
    I always go to the self service tills. But then I suppose I am going to Tesco. And only shop a few items at a time. Usually I go in late at night as well.

I don't like interacting with the checkout staff. God I am so unsociable. One time I went to the checkout, the woman started chatting to me, like I wasn't into chatting to her, but then I started to notice her looking at me every time I went intp the shop after that. I thought maybe it's cos I had a funny shaped head. Yes that must be it. Anyhow, I started to look at her more closely. She had a cracking body on her. Arra, then one day I was chatting to her again and asked her if she was living with her family here, and she said she had a boyfriend. Strangest woman I ever knew! But great figure and lovely high cheekbones. *Sighs

God, that was a real tangent. Haha

A real and somewhat perfect tangent

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

its not just the old or women for thst matter.

the youngish fella whos trying to chat up the disinterested cashier, the kids who cant decide what type of ice cream cone they'll have, the old fella who now has to try and extract the ewually old wallet from the well worn back pocket and then asks again how much he owes.
    i could go on, but i wont as i know your in a hurry Op.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

Some old fella behind me bumped me twice with his trolley today in the Aldi queue. once I can let slide. the second time I felt a deep dark rage rise within me, but being a young guy I knew it would look bad if I melted his face with a verbal barrage.

of course, it would have been perfectly acceptable to say calmly, 'Excuse me, you're after hitting me twice with your trolley, would you mind?' but I just knew that wasn't what would come out so I said nothing.

And of course we were all held up because there was an old biddy at the till talking about the weather not packing her sh!t up.

Then... ****ing then.... I'm walking home in the lashing rain next to a busy street some auld one was getting into a car parked half on the curb, door open blocking the entire footpath. I was about 20 yards away as she began lowering her wrinkled arse into the car, she was looking straight at me, but she still moved that slow that she still hadnt made contact with the seat nor did she bother to pulled the door in an inch by the time I reached her walking at a normal speed. I had an awful urge to kick my foot straight out and slam the door shut on her which I know is terrible to be thinking like that but it was so irritating. you shouldn't be parked there in the first place but no, dont trouble yourself love I'll walk out into the street into the 3 inches of water streaming down the side of the road and maybe get run over, or I'll just stand and wait in the pissing rain with my shopping bags til you get into your nice warm car and settle in.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,074 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Some old fella behind me bumped me twice with his trolley today in the Aldi queue. once I can let slide. the second time I felt a deep dark rage rise within me, but being a young guy I knew it would look bad if I melted his face with a verbal barrage.

of course, it would have been perfectly acceptable to say calmly, 'Excuse me, you're after hitting me twice with your trolley, would you mind?' but I just knew that wasn't what would come out so I said nothing.

And of course we were all held up because there was an old biddy at the till talking about the weather not packing her sh!t up.

Then... ****ing then.... I'm walking home in the lashing rain next to a busy street some auld one was getting into a car parked half on the curb, door open blocking the entire footpath. I was about 20 yards away as she began lowering her wrinkled arse into the car, she was looking straight at me, but she still moved that slow that she still hadnt made contact with the seat nor did she bother to pulled the door in an inch by the time I reached her walking at a normal speed. I had an awful urge to kick my foot straight out and slam the door shut on her which I know is terrible to be thinking like that but it was so irritating. you shouldn't be parked there in the first place but no, dont trouble yourself love I'll walk out into the street into the 3 inches of water streaming down the side of the road and maybe get run over, or I'll just stand and wait in the pissing rain with my shopping bags til you get into your nice warm car and settle in.

And you sound like an absolute charmer yourself

• Advertisement

its not just the old or women for thst matter.

the youngish fella whos trying to chat up the disinterested cashier, the kids who cant decide what type of ice cream cone they'll have, the old fella who now has to try and extract the ewually old wallet from the well worn back pocket and then asks again how much he owes.
    i could go on, but i wont as i know your in a hurry Op.

No, it's just the aul wuns

Advertisement